Could I be pregnant?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
Forum Member
✭✭
My fiance and I have been trying for a baby for about a month.

For the past few weeks, I've had sore, achy breasts, aches in my lower back, been more weepy and panicky than normal, felt sick all the time, got loads more spots than normal, felt really bloated, had cramps, been really dizzy (to the point where I couldn't sit up without feeling like I was going to faint) and just "felt" pregnant.

I did three pregnancy tests. One was negative, and the other two didn't work.

My period was a few days late, but I had one day of brown bleeding, which has changed to a tiny bit of pink. I've read about something called implantation bleeding, but I don't know if this is it. I usually have fairly heavy periods, so I'm not sure if this is one or not.

I have also had a really bad cold, so I don't know if that would have affected me coming on.

I'm seriously considering getting more pregnancy tests, but I'm scared that they're going to be negative. When I thought I'd started, I just ended up in floods of tears.

Could I be expecting, or is it something else?

Comments

• whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could be any number of things, the only sure way to find out is to do another test or book in with your GP.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told by a doctor that you can have a false negative but you can't have a false positive.

My first pregnancy test was negative, I did another a few days later which was positive.

Id make an appointment to see the doctor, if your period hasnt started in a few days time.

also make sure you do the test first thing in the morning as if you are pregnant there will be more HCT in your urine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought my period had started when I got the brown bleeding, but I'm not as sure now.
  • DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DinkyDoo wrote: »
    I was told by a doctor that you can have a false negative but you can't have a false positive.

My first pregnancy test was negative, I did another a few days later which was positive.

Id make an appointment to see the doctor, if your period hasnt started in a few days time.

also make sure you do the test first thing in the morning as if you are pregnant there will be more HCT in your urine.

I agree with this, make sure you take the test with your first urine of the day especially as you have only been trying a month so it would be very early stages.
  • Snake_EaterSnake_Eater Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    proberbly....take a test....
  • GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One sure sign of pregnancy that some women get, a metal taste in your mouth. Do you have that?
  • CabbagesAhoy!CabbagesAhoy! Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble is what you describe could be pregnancy, one of those weird periods you get or some other gynae issue.

When I was first pregnant I did 4 tests (positive, negative, positive, negative) and like the other posters said here my doctor told me you don't get false positives.

False negatives can happen though especially in the early stages.

Wait a few days and then try again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One sure sign of pregnancy that some women get, a metal taste in your mouth. Do you have that?

Yeah. It's like I've been sucking a coin. Trouble is, I get that with colds as well.
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean when you say the other 2 tests didnt work? It's very unusual to get 2 faulty testers but I guess not unheard of.

You say you have only been trying a month - have you recently come off the pill or other form of contraceptive? It could be your normal cycle righting itself, or lots of things really, at this stage it's all just guessing. The only sure-fire way of knowing is to get down to your GP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get that little bit of brown bleeding regularly in between periods. I've never been pregnant!! :) I hope you weren't taking pound shop tests, the more expensive ones should work. Buy a reliable brand.
  • Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might be pregnant, you might not. It sounds like you've experienced some of the symptoms associated with early pregnancy, but again a lot of those can be attributed to PMS or other illness.

Test again in a few days! Good luck :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lozenger wrote: »
    What do you mean when you say the other 2 tests didnt work? It's very unusual to get 2 faulty testers but I guess not unheard of.

You say you have only been trying a month - have you recently come off the pill or other form of contraceptive? It could be your normal cycle righting itself, or lots of things really, at this stage it's all just guessing. The only sure-fire way of knowing is to get down to your GP.

The blue line didn't turn up in the control window, and I read the instructions for the test again and it said that if that happened, the test hadn't worked.

I can't take the pill, but up until last month, we used condoms every time.

Ruby, I was using a Clearblue one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The blue line didn't turn up in the control window, and I read the instructions for the test again and it said that if that happened, the test hadn't worked.

I can't take the pill, but up until last month, we used condoms every time.

Ruby, I was using a Clearblue one.

Ah ok, make sure you wee enough on it :)
  • TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My fiance and I have been trying for a baby for about a month.

For the past few weeks, I've had sore, achy breasts, aches in my lower back, been more weepy and panicky than normal, felt sick all the time, got loads more spots than normal, felt really bloated, had cramps, been really dizzy (to the point where I couldn't sit up without feeling like I was going to faint) and just "felt" pregnant.

I did three pregnancy tests. One was negative, and the other two didn't work.

My period was a few days late, but I had one day of brown bleeding, which has changed to a tiny bit of pink. I've read about something called implantation bleeding, but I don't know if this is it. I usually have fairly heavy periods, so I'm not sure if this is one or not.

I have also had a really bad cold, so I don't know if that would have affected me coming on.

I'm seriously considering getting more pregnancy tests, but I'm scared that they're going to be negative. When I thought I'd started, I just ended up in floods of tears.

Could I be expecting, or is it something else?
    Kate, I believe that sore breasts are common with pmt as are spots and bloated stomach.

Sorry to say this but I believe the bad back, dizziness and sickness is due to the flu!!!

Best of wishes to you though x
  • timewarpbunnytimewarpbunny Posts: 463
    Forum Member
    Ruby Shoes wrote: »
    I get that little bit of brown bleeding regularly in between periods. I've never been pregnant!! :) I hope you weren't taking pound shop tests, the more expensive ones should work. Buy a reliable brand.

Actually, the cheaper tests can be a lot more sensitive and pick up HCG a lot earlier. All the tests will have an mIU/ml number on them, the lower this number the more sensitive the test. The cheaper ones tend to have a lower number :D

I got a negative in the morning with a first response. In the afternoon I got a strong positive with a cheapie test.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Actually, the cheaper tests can be a lot more sensitive and pick up HCG a lot earlier. All the tests will have an mIU/ml number on them, the lower this number the more sensitive the test. The cheaper ones tend to have a lower number :D

I got a negative in the morning with a first response. In the afternoon I got a strong positive with a cheapie test.

Have to agree I took to using poundshop tests as i was finding it so expensive to use the clearblue and the more expensive ones everytime we were trying and the poundshop ones gave me the correct result every time and were just as good.
    A month is a very short time to be trying and the stress and disappointment of coming on every month will effect you a lot, i know it's difficult but try to put it to the back of your head and think if it happens it happens.My husband and I were trying for about a year and a half and it got to a point where i was slightly obsessing about it and also work was a BIG stress factor for me so we decided to stop trying and sort my job out and change and give it another year and try again with in 2 weeks of starting the new job i was pregnant! Stress and worrying all the time was stopping me.
    Sorry if i have gone on but my point was just to stop analiysing everything and leave it another couple of weeks and take a test.
  • alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checking dates - you said you have been trying for a month - does that mean since your last period? When would your period normally be due? Always best to wait til a couple of days after your period is due before testing ...
  • ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I had the brown bleeding when I was pregnant with my son, but I have also had it the odd time when I haven't been pregnant so I wouldn't say it is a sign that you are, but having that little bvleed also doesn't rule out you being pregnant.

As others have said, you need to test again, and just give it a few days before you do.
  • alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    any news?
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want to worry you, but if there's a chance you could be pregnant and are experiencing bad cramps, you should tell your doctor, just so that they can rule out ectopic pregnancy. I had one of these years ago, and it's best if caught early.
  • KimmlerKimmler Posts: 1,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...if you really are pregnant!