Options

The London Riots (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    It feels like everybody is just trying to wait it out til daylight, police included.

I have this horrible, sick feeling in my stomach and I don't feel safe at all:(

I don't feel safe either and I'm living next to a Royal Marine base in a small village hundreds of miles from London.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the word 'kids' could be used to describe anyone up to their early 20's
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any news on that bloke that was on LBC and got suddenly cut off yet?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    It must be a second Sony distribution centre, Paul Lewis is heading there now. He's currently at the other Sony Distribution Centre that was on fire apparently.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Thank you - sound advice :)

It's been a long day and sometimes it's hard not to let it sting.
    I know. The problem is everyone is so upset and outraged people are looking to blame someone. Unfortunately old prejudices come out. :(
  • Options
    JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mark stone back on sky news
  • Options
    camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    They probably won't even have to fire a shot, but I can't see this stopping till there is a threat to the arsonist/looter's lives. They'll all just run back to their estates with their loot thinking how hilarious it is how much trouble & expense they have caused:rolleyes:.

From my experience the army make matters worse if they are there as an armed military force, only the police should be armed imo.
  • Options
    robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a bit worried about my brother who is a firefighter in london..eek
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unrest gathering in Birmingham 200+ rioters are around the city centre. It looks like they are trying to break into an Abbey bank.
  • Options
    belfastkidbelfastkid Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im going to bed now...I hope this doesn't continue tommorow but I have a fear it might. These things dont just switch off overnight most times.

All those scum are probably just gonna take a nap, eat brekfest and then head back out tommorow...........
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, Thames Water now advising that water pressure may be low in certain areas due to the amount the fire brigade are using
  • Options
    talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is getting scarily bad! Dont you think its time to bring in the army? :confused:

What are the army going to do though? they are in the killing business not riot control, if they were allowed to just shoot everyone with live rounds then that be fine.
  • Options
    medico stagnomedico stagno Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    googleking wrote: »
    Any news on that bloke that was on LBC and got suddenly cut off yet?

Not yet.
  • Options
    Dunce-2007Dunce-2007 Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member
    Dub Vendor lucky the fire didn't spread to their shop.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been reported all day that the main offenders are kids:confused:

The ones kicking in shop doors and windows didn't look like children to me...unless they breed particularly large chidren in some of these places.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    camer wrote: »
    The police are not outnumbered, they simply do not have the training nor the equipment to deal with riots, looting and arson. The army also have no training along those lines. A properly trained police force is needed and preferably one that does not have its hands tied behind its back.
    OK, well, let' just wait to retrain them shall we. IT'S TOO LATE FOR THAT.
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    googleking wrote: »
    Wow, Thames Water now advising that water pressure may be low in certain areas due to the amount the fire brigade are using

Eek. :(
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    20 stores in Clapham gutted out. :eek:
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    the teenage yobs seem to be concentrating on looting. I think those who are setting the fires have a different agenda. Unless they are trying to burn the buildings to prevent cctv of them being released.

Thinking about it, you could be right. The main rioters seem to be content with looting and setting cars alight. Rhe big buildings are somewhat different
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    Especially when this has nothing to do with race or religion.

This is predominately black male youths, nothing to do with religion though. Most black people are law abiding citizens, but from the images on tv these are not white females or asian males - some white males & a lot of black males.

Tottenham
    Hackney
    Brixton
    Toxteth
    Handsworth

were all major flashpoints, we have many white gangs in Liverpool but they don't riot - they just shoot each other and deal drugs.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Moving around like pillaging hordes.
  • Options
    LemonPledgeLemonPledge Posts: 6,277
    Forum Member
    F u ck that fire is horrendous!
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Mazzy, I completely understand what you say. One of my best friends posts on DS, she is also black and is so distressed by some undercurrents in certain posts, that she hasn't been around since this all started, she finds it too upsetting.

But please don't let what a few hotheads say on DS get you down, the sensible ones amongst us know that there are good and bad everywhere.

I know for a fact (because I alerted him) that one of the main people posting racist crap on here, had made at least three accounts in different names and been banned for them all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    British Army are routinely trained in riot control for this very scenario. They carried out this roll in Northern Ireland for years. They still carry out this role in Iraq and Afghanistan.
  • Options
    bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the BBC is still one of the finest and most reputable TV broadcasters in the world. When very confusing and fast-moving situations such as this happen, errors do occur occasionally

Unlike Sky they were at least broadcasting the fire.
This discussion has been closed.