Echostar HDS-600RS Excellent idea but badly impemented

Hi,
I agree that Echostar support are quite prompt when it comes to responding to questions, however, their answers are not satisfactory nor do they suggest taking on board issues raised to be passed on to the dev team.

Here are the issues i've faced with mine:
  • iPad app does not allow high quality mode
  • You cannot set manual recording which I believe existed previously
  • You cannot watch one channel while playing back on the iPad or sling player (the explanation given was completely nonsensical)
  • for non-freesat mode if there is no EPG then you cannot pause live TV which is ridiculous because if I could set manual recording then it wouldn't need the EPG so why not allow this function as it's otherwise constantly recording for channels with EPG.

Comments

• youddiphyouddiph Posts: 956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get HQ via the app. Depends on your internet quality.

Other players don't offer manual record. Doesn't freesat not now ask this isn't included.

How much more expensive do you want the box, view two streams at once? No freesat box offers this with official sw.

NonFreesat mode: this is a freesat box anything else is a bonus. Freesat don't like user functionality in this area.

thecrater wrote: »
    Hi,
    I agree that Echostar support are quite prompt when it comes to responding to questions, however, their answers are not satisfactory nor do they suggest taking on board issues raised to be passed on to the dev team.

Here are the issues i've faced with mine:
    • iPad app does not allow high quality mode
    • You cannot set manual recording which I believe existed previously
    • You cannot watch one channel while playing back on the iPad or sling player (the explanation given was completely nonsensical)
    • for non-freesat mode if there is no EPG then you cannot pause live TV which is ridiculous because if I could set manual recording then it wouldn't need the EPG so why not allow this function as it's otherwise constantly recording for channels with EPG.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    would love to find out how you got yours to display HQ on the iPad. Nothing to do with your internet speed if you're at home.

With regards to the streaming i'm sure this is a software limitation as the device already has the ability to transcode on the fly. All they would need to do is allow the library to be viewed via their app then simply stream the recording or even the second tuner's stream over the network whilst the tv is displaying via HDMI.

Echostar already have an excellent device they just need to complement it with better firmware. I don't understand your comments regarding other manufacturers not offering this! The idea is that Echostar's product are head and shoulders above the competition and what you're saying is that it already does more or less the same as the others therefore that should suffice :confused: what then would distinguish theirs from the competition?!

thanks for your comments anyway
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For someone who has only posted twice, do a search. Freesat put restrictions on what manufacturers do. Not echostar.
    would love to find out how you got yours to display HQ on the iPad. Nothing to do with your internet speed if you're at home.

With regards to the streaming i'm sure this is a software limitation as the device already has the ability to transcode on the fly. All they would need to do is allow the library to be viewed via their app then simply stream the recording or even the second tuner's stream over the network whilst the tv is displaying via HDMI.

Echostar already have an excellent device they just need to complement it with better firmware. I don't understand your comments regarding other manufacturers not offering this! The idea is that Echostar's product are head and shoulders above the competition and what you're saying is that it already does more or less the same as the others therefore that should suffice :confused: what then would distinguish theirs from the competition?!

thanks for your comments anyway
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    youddiph wrote: »
    Freesat put restrictions on what manufacturers do. Not echostar.
    I've heard this several times in these forums, but I'm not convinced. I have an article from Wotsat in 2009 where Freesat's technology director states that they control the EPG but also encourage manufacturers to enhance their Freesat boxes as they see fit and to encourage innovation and technological advances for what the customer might want.

Of course, that position may have changed in the last 3 years!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Freesat has changed since then!

Wotsat is not always reliable.

I've heard this several times in these forums, but I'm not convinced. I have an article from Wotsat in 2009 where Freesat's technology director states that they control the EPG but also encourage manufacturers to enhance their Freesat boxes as they see fit and to encourage innovation and technological advances for what the customer might want.

Of course, that position may have changed in the last 3 years!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    @youddiph the fact that i've only got 2 posts does not make my points less valid.

The restrictions imposed by Freesat don't seem to prevent the use of Slingbox functionality therefore streaming existing recorded stuff from the library or live feed from the other tuner (as if you're recording) should not be a problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @youddiph the fact that i've only got 2 posts does not make my points less valid.

The restrictions imposed by Freesat don't seem to prevent the use of Slingbox functionality therefore streaming existing recorded stuff from the library or live feed from the other tuner (as if you're recording) should not be a problem.

2 posts: You could be a troll or you have much to learn my young padawan

Freesat manufacturer’s constraints: Freesat are and have strict guidelines which manufactures have to adhere to, to use the freesat sw and epg.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Freesat manufacturer’s constraints: Freesat are and have strict guidelines which manufactures have to adhere to, to use the freesat sw and epg.

Restriction on being able to set manual recordings isn't one neither is lack of twin tuner recording in non-freesat. A bog standard Foxsat-hdr has both.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Restriction on being able to set manual recordings isn't one neither is lack of twin tuner recording in non-freesat. A bog standard Foxsat-hdr has both.

I didn't day they were, but I'm sure I have been able to dual record in either mode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't day they were, but I'm sure I have been able to dual record in either mode.

Items 2 & 4 in post 1 are no problem on a Foxsat-hdr.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Items 2 & 4 in post 1 are no problem on a Foxsat-hdr.

I think that is with the unoffical sw, which is some effort.

Is the streaming function as nippy as a slingbox?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that is with the unoffical sw, which is some effort.

Is the streaming function as nippy as a slingbox?

•You cannot set manual recording which I believe existed previously
    •for non-freesat mode if there is no EPG then you cannot pause live TV which is ridiculous because if I could set manual recording then it wouldn't need the EPG so why not allow this function as it's otherwise constantly recording for channels with EPG.

No custom firmware required. The custom firmware allows streaming of HD and SD content recorded without encryption.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No custom firmware required. The custom firmware allows streaming of HD and SD content recorded without encryption.

yes but how quick and non problematic is the streaming?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes but how quick and non problematic is the streaming?

I don't understand the question, it streams programme content in real time including HD why would it need to be any quicker :confused: It doesn't have slingbox capability if that's what you mean.
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guys, you're comparing Apples and Oranges.

A slingbox will take whatever you can/could see on your TV screen at home, and let you watch it anywhere in the world - it's a clone of that display. It'll let you control your STB using an on-screen virtual remote control (a perfect facsimile of the real physical remote control) anywhere in the world. It will use whatever quality and bitrate is needed to get you a stable picture. (yes, I'm a fan - I think it's very clever - I've used it in China to watch my STB in Yorkshire!).

The hack for the Humax box lets you stream/copy the files from the Humax STB over your home network. You can do as many at once as your Humax, network and equipment can handle. It won't transcode them, so you'll get broadcast quality where it works, and various failures where the equipment can't cope, isn't compatible, or the network bandwidth is insufficient. There's a complex workaround some people have used to make it work outside the home, but without transcoding, the network bandwidth will almost always be insufficient.

HD programmes recorded in Freesat mode are tied to the Humax. Nothing else can play them. Whereas all HD programmes can be streamed through a Slingbox, but I believe the Echostar STB only allows this in SD (i.e. it transcodes HD to SD so they can be allowed out of the STB).

A slingbox lets you watch live TV easily, and fully control the box. The Humax hack only lets you watch live TV in a roundabout way.

In short, the sling functionality is about letting you control the STB and watch the output, however good or bad the network connection. The Humax hack gives you access to the files on its HDD within your home. Horses for courses.

Cheers,
    David.