Moderation on DS

124»

Comments

• 37 Years37 Years Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    There is a certain group of people who immediately take criticism as offence, and press the button without hesitation. This got me banned recently. On my return, the culprit immediately posted a bunch of complete lies about me. I didn't hit the alert, as I am not going to break the habit of a lifetime, and was at least pleased to see the post taken down anyhow.

I don't like having to tread so lightly, but it's a fact of life.

Anyone who thinks the moderation is over zealous should have experienced the old C4 forums!

Blimey, that takes me back :D

They were positively hyperactive and would freak at anything.
  • BK.BK. Posts: 1,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    But that doesn't make sense because if you ban them, the content will remain?

If they were to do something like that, surely the best thing to do would be to not ban any FM with a high daily post count? Volume is one thing, but frequency probably counts for more. So an FM like johnnybgoode83 would be better to have around rather than someone like me.

OK, let me make this easier for you. Yes, the content will remain.

A user who makes 100 new posts a day on average makes 100 new posts a day on average - a sizeable contribution to the forums in terms of adding posts to existing threads (and longer threads mean more pages, which mean more page views, which means more money from adverts that are based on page views). A banned user is banned and contributes, uh, 0 posts per day, adding no content to the website - less content is created each day, less pages are created, less pages are viewed = less money from adverts that pay out based on page views, to put it simply :)
  • 37 Years37 Years Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BK. wrote: »
    The people that "get away with it" usually have over 5k posts. DS keep them because, some of them having almost 30,000 posts, help the site make money. More content = more room for advertisers = more money for DS.

Imagine if they banned some of the 20-oddk post count people here. It'd be almost dead. The thread starters are usually the same ones over and over again in each forum. There are probably only around 20-25 people who regularly create threads in GD, for example. I believe they're called "unemployed" :D

And the 'care in the community' people :D

Must make it hard for the moderators to be objective if they feel they should ban someone but the post count is such that they don't want to leave a big hole in the forum.

cjsmummy wrote: »
    I got banned for something pathetic.

Me too. I corrected someone's spelling, but I think I also called them a stupid idiot or similar.......which he was.

My post count is pretty low though.
  • IngersIngers Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    I got my first ever warning last week. My halo's slipping. :p

Isn't that a Lady Gaga song?

My mistake, Beyonce