Options

Crying at films...

Comments

• Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    I generally find that any film in which the family dog dies (eg Marley & Me, Old Yeller, My Dig Skip to name a few) is enough to give me a big lump in my throat.

Oh and I grew up with white bull terriers, so that final scene in "The Incredible Journey" gets me every time.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trphil wrote: »
    Is it possible to watch the end of The Railway Children? I can't! I seem to be turning into a right wuss in my middle age. I even cried reading the end of The Kite Runner...

When I was three there was a burglary in the neighbourhood and the police were doing door to doors asking people if they'd seen anything and telling them to be vigilant.

I was terrified they were going to take my Daddy away like in the film and made him hide behind the bed. Just thinking about the ending makes me well up.
  • Options
    Softie-CynicSoftie-Cynic Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    trphil wrote: »
    Is it possible to watch the end of The Railway Children? I can't! I seem to be turning into a right wuss in my middle age. I even cried reading the end of The Kite Runner...

It is not a weakness to cry at a film!! they are often designed in that way and if you cry it shows your an empathetic person.

Psychopaths are a group that would never cry at a film,
    is that something to aim for now?
    :confused:
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is not a weakness to cry at a film!! they are often designed in that way and if you cry it shows your an empathetic person.

Why wouldn't a psychopath cry at a film?
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Funny thing is people expect you to feel embarrassed for crying at the end of that, but when I went to see it I was probably the only one in the cinema NOT crying. That was pretty embarrassing.

You must have a heart of stone to not cry at the end when Andy is saying goodbye to the toys, especially Woody. It's so sad! :cry::p
    I'll cry at a lot of films, I refuse to watch anything too sad with animals in, and I can't bring myself to ever watch E.T. again - that film broke my heart when I was a kid! :o:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh dear :eek:

Strait jacket time then.....
  • Options
    Softie-CynicSoftie-Cynic Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    adopter wrote: »
    Why wouldn't a psychopath cry at a film?

It's generalising, but Psychopaths have an extreme lack of empathy as a major characteristic of their psychological make up.
    They do not recognise suffering or distress in the way most people do and show blunted emotional reactions too.

:)
  • Options
    hobbleithobbleit Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    As a child I didn't give a toss, but now I'm middle aged (and have lost my daddy:cry:) I always cry at that bit.

I also cry at 3 precise points in 'Return of the King.' I've seen it a million times, and still cry every time.

Me too. Every single time. But I knew I would because I sobbed when reading the book too.
  • Options
    bridgerrbridgerr Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    I cried at the end of KNOWING where Earth is obliterated by the sun, if only that could happen irl and wipe this cancerous plague known as humanity off this planet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    I got a bit of hayfever after watching The Green Mile.

Mr Jingles :cry:- gets me in the film and the book every time.

Watership down. I can even well up just thinking about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a child I didn't give a toss, but now I'm middle aged (and have lost my daddy:cry:) I always cry at that bit.

I also cry at 3 precise points in 'Return of the King.' I've seen it a million times, and still cry every time.

Can I ask which 3? I can think of four:

Eowyn defending King Theoden ('I will kill you if you touch him' gets me)
    Frodo making Sam turn back
    When they are cheering Frodo and then they think he has died
    'My friends, you bow to no-one'
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hyena wrote: »
    The first time I watched Schindler's List my lip wobbled a bit at the end.
    The first film I ever cried at was Schindler's List. I remember watching it in bed with my girlfriend, and the tears plopping down my cheeks at the end. I got out of bed to switch everything off, got back in without saying a word and just lay there in silence, weeping. I was a bit shocked at my own reaction I guess. :o

The last film I cried at was The Road. By the end I was in pieces and wailed like a baby throughout the end credits and for quite a while after. :cry: ...I highly recommend it. :D
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So did I. It was heartbreaking when Andy had to hand Woody over. I wonder if he will ever get to see him again. I hope so..
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Funny thing is people expect you to feel embarrassed for crying at the end of that, but when I went to see it I was probably the only one in the cinema NOT crying. That was pretty embarrassing.
    Lastlaugh wrote: »
    Same here! And we were watching Toy Story 2 the other day - oh god, I choked up at the bit with Jessie and her little girl. :( The song, the sadness.

I love watching sad films.

The bit at the end when he hands them over. I'm 26, TS1 came out when I was a child, it reminds me of happy childhood times. For me it felt like I was Andy waving goodbye to the childhood memories and old toys I had...

I'm such a softie! Funnily enough when I went to see it in the cinema it was full of adults, not 1 kid in sight. It's one of the few animated films both kids and adults enjoy. I love the adult innuendos in it!
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit of a running joke in my family that when my older brother (now in his 40s and a self-styled 'double-hard b*stard') was little he watched The Poseidon Adventure then took it upon himself to go to bed straight after. My mother went up a few minutes later to find him sobbing into his pillow. When she asked him what was the matter he wailed, "I didn't want that fat woman to die. :cry:" ...PMSL! Aww, bless. :D
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Theoden's last lines about going to the halls of his fathers, amongst whom he will not now be ashamed.../ Theoden's death

Sam's "I can't carry the ring, but I can carry you!"

And also "..you bow to no-one.":D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theoden's last lines about going to the halls of his fathers, amongst whom he will not now be ashamed.../ Theoden's death

Sam's "I can't carry the ring, but I can carry you!"

And also "..you bow to no-one.":D

Ah yes, I knew there was another one, but that one doesn't make me cry so much as cheer.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

The last film I cried at was The Road. By the end I was in pieces and wailed like a baby throughout the end credits and for quite a while after. :cry: ...I highly recommend it. :D

Yes. Cormac McCarthy's novel The Road had me in tears so I knew the film would be similarly bleak. Yet it's actually uplifting as well - the idea that humanity lives on, even if in only a few people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    As a child I used to cry during Beauty and the Beast during the song Tale as Old as Time and the song still makes me cry now. I also used to cry at Bright Eyes. I almost cried near the end of One Day, mostly because I felt so sorry for Dex and the ending is so bittersweet.

I tend to cry more at music though than films.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    I cried at that and at the end :o

Forgot to change your socks?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    Forgot to change your socks?

Would appear that way :D
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah I think she meant to quote the reply to her post and not the post itself.
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julie68 wrote: »
    I can't even watch Watership Down, I end up sobbing hysterically.
    Agreed! No child should ever watch this! :eek:

Now that's the odd one, I watched this as a child without any problem but now it's sob city. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julie68 wrote: »
    I can't even watch Watership Down, I end up sobbing hysterically.

Same here - I won't watch that film as, no matter how many times I watch Bambi, I still snivell - ergo: I will cry over Watership Down :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I generally find that any film in which the family dog dies (eg Marley & Me, Old Yeller, My Dig Skip to name a few) is enough to give me a big lump in my throat.

I think the same way. I was watching Paranormal Activity (whichever number it was) and saw the family dog and thought 'they'd better not hurt that dog' - even though people were being flung about and dragged up and downstairs, apparently, that was fine but don't dare touch that dog :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

the bit in The Two Towers, at the battle of Helm's Deep, when there's no hope and they're all going to die, but the elves turn up anyway, gets me every time