Kindle Paperwhite or Kindle Fire???

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
Forum Member
✭✭
Not sure what to purchase . . . so asking your opinions!

Loving the softly glowing screen of the Paperwhite and the ability to read in sunlight, but would also appreciate the tablet funcationality of the Fire, for Facebook, music, games, etc, etc. Is the Fire that hard to read in sunlight though? The screen seems very shiny . . . is there a cover I could get for it which would help?

What to do???!!!!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or should I scrap both of these and get the Nexus???
  • Goldbear86Goldbear86 Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are looking for a E reader go for the Paperwhite. I love mine. If you want a little more I.e Internet access and games, apps etc you are probably best with the Fire.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Josephinus wrote: »
    Or should I scrap both of these and get the Nexus???
    They really are very different things. If you want a tablet, I'd happily recommend a Nexus 7. But this will be vastly inferior to a dedicated e-reader for simply reading books, especially in bright sunlight.

I've recently been playing with a Kobo Glo, which seems pretty good, so that is a slightly cheaper alternative to a Kindle Paperwhite. A bit harder to get started with than the Kindle is if you are already an Amazon customer. But it's not a tablet, so don't expect to be able to do tablety things with it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh ok . . . so the Nexus 7 . . . does it come with an app store as such? Like the app store on my iphone? Can I get my music from itunes library onto the Nexus 7 too?

Didn't think I was quite so tech-illiterate!!!

Maybe I should just go somewhere and have a look at them both!!!
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    They really are very different things. If you want a tablet, I'd happily recommend a Nexus 7. But this will be vastly inferior to a dedicated e-reader for simply reading books, especially in bright sunlight.

I've recently been playing with a Kobo Glo, which seems pretty good, so that is a slightly cheaper alternative to a Kindle Paperwhite. A bit harder to get started with than the Kindle is if you are already an Amazon customer. But it's not a tablet, so don't expect to be able to do tablety things with it!

The OP said they liked the idea of reading books and surfing the net and emailing etc.

My advice would depend on how much you will/want to read and how much you want to spend.

I read a lot so I bought a kindle paper white and a nexus 7. If you read a lot a dedicated device is really good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP said they liked the idea of reading books and surfing the net and emailing etc.

My advice would depend on how much you will/want to read and how much you want to spend.

I read a lot so I bought a kindle paper white and a nexus 7. If you read a lot a dedicated device is really good.

Well, I read on the train and during lunch at work and sometimes in bed before I go to sleep . . . but can't see the point in having two devices . . . aaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhh . . . think I might go and have a play at my local store. Can I get the kindle app on the Nexus though?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh ok . . . so the Nexus 7 . . . does it come with an app store as such?
    Yes. The basic app repository is Google Play, though there are other ways of getting apps on - both free and paid-for.
    Can I get my music from itunes library onto the Nexus 7 too?
    I really have no idea about this (I don't have any DRMd music), so I'll let someone else answer!
    Maybe I should just go somewhere and have a look at them both!!!
    It really sounds like you want a tablet.

But why not get a cheap but decent e-reader (less than £50, IIRC) as well? For that money, you won't get a backlight, but it will still be easy to read in normal lighting as well as in bright sunlight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I read on the train and during lunch at work and sometimes in bed before I go to sleep . . . but can't see the point in having two devices . . . aaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhh . . . think I might go and have a play at my local store. Can I get the kindle app on the Nexus though?

Yes you can download the kindle app on the nexus. If you want a bit of everything then I'd say you should get a tablet. As the nexus and the fire are the same price I'd say the nexus is the better buy as you can do more with it. I agree I think you should go and have a play with all the devices and see which one you like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I get the kindle app on the Nexus though?
    Yes.

In fact, I put this on some time ago, but had never even looked at until your post reminded me. I was slightly alarmed that it already knows about all my kindle books.

Still not quite sure how... (perhaps I downloaded it from the Amazon app store, rather than Google Play).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes.

In fact, I put this on some time ago, but had never even looked at until your post reminded me. I was slightly alarmed that it already knows about all my kindle books.

Still not quite sure how... (perhaps I downloaded it from the Amazon app store, rather than Google Play).

Did you sign in with your amazon ID when you set up the app?? If so it would automatically show all your archived books.

If you donwload the google music app onto your desktop it will upload all your itunes music content to the google cloud. You can upload up to 20,000 songs for free. Once you have done this you can stream your music collection or download to the google nexus 7 or any other adroid device.
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you allready have an iPhone then this can do everything that a tablet can do (although with a smaller screen) so I'd go with an e-ink device.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you sign in with your amazon ID when you set up the app?? If so it would automatically show all your archived books.
    I'm fairly sure this is the first time I've even started the app, and there was no setup involved. My memory may be faulty, of course. But I do also have the Amazon app store, so it is possible that I downloaded it from there and it arrived pre-configured.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fairly sure this is the first time I've even started the app, and there was no setup involved. My memory may be faulty, of course. But I do also have the Amazon app store, so it is possible that I downloaded it from there and it arrived pre-configured.

I think you need to sign into the amazon store to download kindle for android so it automatically knows your amazon ID
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you can download the kindle app on the nexus. If you want a bit of everything then I'd say you should get a tablet. As the nexus and the fire are the same price I'd say the nexus is the better buy as you can do more with it. I agree I think you should go and have a play with all the devices and see which one you like.

Nexus is the same price as Fire HD
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulj48 wrote: »
    If you allready have an iPhone then this can do everything that a tablet can do (although with a smaller screen) so I'd go with an e-ink device.

I'd tend to suggest that as well, but it isn't always so clear cut.

I bought my ex a Playbook (she was wanting something for browsing to assist with her OU course), for which it does an absolutely stunning job. Then she asked about books, so I put the Kindle App on there.

I personally hate reading text on an LCD, but she seems to like it and can read for hours on end.

I've got an older Sony reader for books, the Playbook for browsing and some games, and the Nexus 7 for comics and other games (oh, and controlling the sons Lego Mindstorms).

So if you read a *lot*, then the Kindle Paperwhite is definitely the better choice. If you don't read so much, and want a device that can do everything, then the Kindle Fire/Nexus is a good compromise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your help, peeps . . . think a tablet is definitely the way to go for me and maybe I'll get a cheap kindle for reading in sunlight on hols or something!!!
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read a lot on my tablet but have the text set to white on a black background. (I don't have a dedicated e-reader) I find I can read outside unless it is very bright sunlight.

I could never read a book outside in bright sunlight though as it gave me a headache.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your help, peeps . . . think a tablet is definitely the way to go for me and maybe I'll get a cheap kindle for reading in sunlight on hols or something!!!

Aye, you could buy a Kindle Fire and a Kobo Mini for less than the price of a Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD (32gb variant).

Some would say the Kobo Mini is too small to read, it has a 5" screen - but thats about the same size as a typical paperback book.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd go for a Nexus 7 over the Kindle Fire, but if you're just looking for an eReader I'd buy the Paperwhite as it's excellent.

The thing is, the Paperwhite is £120, so for £40 you could get a Nexus 7...
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    The thing is, the Paperwhite is £120, so for £40 you could get a Nexus 7...

But no eInk screen on the Nexus 7 - so not as good for reading