Options

12 reasons gay marriage should be illegal

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it makes you feel better we have equal opportunity piss-taking in this household.

And she's way better at it than I am. ;)

As a feminist equal opportunity piss taking is something I can really get behind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I was quite clearly quoting the assertion originally made at post #267 in that we are all 'products of nature', i.e. a heterosexual act (disregarding IVF). Are we now going to argue about the reproduction process?

Homosexual men and woman are a product of nature. They don't grow them in a "gay laboratory" you know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PrimalIce wrote: »
    Thats not true at all. I dont choose to be an atheist, im compelled to do so. I could not believe in religion even if I wanted to. Are you saying if you decided that heaven sounds like a nice idea you could, just decide, and im talking deep down, actually believe in it just because?

Sounds like your grip on reality is non too secure if you can just convince yourself of things at a whim!

Well actually you can, especially in the West.

We base our decision to have a faith on many things. Our parents and their beliefs, our community, our education, our own feelings, our life experiences etc. etc. But at the end of the day, it is still up to us to choose to follow a religion, or not to choose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MEW TOWN wrote: »
    You can change things in law all you like and make previoulsy unacceptable things acceptable.

But you can't change and modernise religion.

Of course you can.

Christianity in the West isn't the same as it was several hundred years ago, when it was dangerous, controlling, ultra violent and infiltrated every aspect of one's life.

It still has a way to go, and it has always had to be dragged kicking and screaming into modern times, but it has to continue to modernise or it will die out.

There are smaller Christian churches that are far more progressive and modern than the bigger Christian churches too, including many who support gay marriage and welcome gay men and women into their congregation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homosexual men and woman are a product of nature. They don't grow them in a "gay laboratory" you know.

I do like the idea of them being made in an underground bunker by some crazy scientist
  • Options
    collitcollit Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well actually you can, especially in the West.

We base our decision to have a faith on many things. Our parents and their beliefs, our community, our education, our own feelings, our life experiences etc. etc. But at the end of the day, it is still up to us to choose to follow a religion, or not to choose.

True. I wasn't brought up as an atheist, my father thinks there maybe something up there.
    I've come to the the conclusion as an adult that it's all just a story that's gone a bit too far.
    After the apocalypse we'll all be reading the teachings of Harry Potter, who was sent to Earth by JK to save our pathetic souls.
  • Options
    chuckleberrychuckleberry Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And actually I always reply to you...It's you who never replies back. I've treated you with respect, why do you feel the need to be so nasty to me?

I have posted before that although I am a Believer I am not religious.

And I don't give diddly squat about other peoples sexuality, whatever their orientation.

But I will say to you that it is no use whatsoever attempting to debate with a couple of posters on this thread.

Disagree with either of them and you'll get a volley of sneers, personal remarks and ridicule. Their bile is best ignored
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? The truth is better then any lie even though lies may comfort you because the truth is reality

Lol so it's better for somebody to be an atheist child murderer than a Christian who devotes their life to helping others. Okay then...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    Yes I'm sure it's nice. People like different things, and whether choice or not you shouldn't have less rights anyway.

Currently religious folk have more rights than atheists consistantly around the world, so the point is fairly mute from the religious persecution side. However comparing religion to sexuality is simply ridiculous.

To me it's the same as drug users, you chose the drug but not the addiction.

I'm completely against "Religious people" having more rights than an atheist but it also can't go too far the other way. Comments like the one KK has just made surely can't be allowed?

It's like he blames me personally for any homophobic abuse he's suffered.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol so it's better for somebody to be an atheist child murderer than a Christian who devotes their life to helping others. Okay then...

Wow, quite a leap there. I can't really see how you got that conclusion from "truth is better than a lie".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have posted before that although I am a Believer I am not religious.

And I don't give diddly squat about other peoples sexuality, whatever their orientation.

But I will say to you that it is no use whatsoever attempting to debate with a couple of posters on this thread.

Disagree with either of them and you'll get a volley of sneers, personal remarks and ridicule. Their bile is best ignored

I just don't understand what's wrong with saying "We'll agree to disagree">
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, quite a leap there.

Well if it's always better to be believing what you consider "the truth".

If somebody is using their faith to change their personality for good and to help other people...Then why is it a bad thing? Who cares if what they believe is wrong, that's their worry. Not yours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if it's always better to be believing what you consider "the truth".

You've lost me. How is atheism related to child murderer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That leap is so big I think I could fit a canyon in it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've lost me. How is atheism related to child murderer.

I'm sure some atheists are. Just like some Christians are...Sad but true. What we believe the point of life is doesn't define us as people. There are good and bad people on both sides.

And sometime it can help someone to be a Christian...And of course it can also help someone to be an Atheist. But if that works better for them and they're doing good because of it, why should it matter that they're believing a lie?
  • Options
    chuckleberrychuckleberry Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just don't understand what's wrong with saying "We'll agree to disagree">
    I haven't been posting on DS for all that long, but I have found that certain posters with whom I sometimes disagree but whose reasoned opinions I respect will always agree to disagree.

But you will always have the few who delight in belittling the beliefs and opinions of others. Perhaps it in some way makes them feel clever?
  • Options
    Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MEW TOWN wrote: »
    You can change things in law all you like and make previoulsy unacceptable things acceptable.

But you can't change and modernise religion.

As all religions are made up nonsense they can be anything they want them to be at any time.

All religions already only pick the bits they want from the bible and ignore the rest. That is how they are left look so stupid when they scream about gay people and what the bible says about them and then have nothing to say when some other section is quoted and they are asked why they don't enforce that bit then?

It's all make-believe so make-believe something else!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of us are products of a homosexual act.

So in a hypothetical story where I have sex with my boyfriend and the sperm produced is handed out of the door to a female who impregnates herself with it, I/we have had a sex act with this female? When? Where? How?

Females who go to a sperm bank have also not had any sort of sex act with the donor.

Your really are just trying to invent things to match your thoughts - Just change your thoughts to match reality and you will start making progress.
  • Options
    SOHCAHTOA88SOHCAHTOA88 Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You have just erected a straw man so large, it could have put the fear of God up Edward Woodward.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure some atheists are. Just like some Christians are...Sad but true. What we believe the point of life is doesn't define us as people. There are good and bad people on both sides.

And sometime it can help someone to be a Christian...And of course it can also help someone to be an Atheist. But if that works better for them and they're doing good because of it, why should it matter that they're believing a lie?

We're getting in to a red pill or blue pill Matrix discussion here.
    Frankly I choose reality since you can actually change that since you are interacting with it, as opposed to a dreamworld. Plus I think lies are inherently unhealthy things to base your life on.
    Of course all charity is good, but if you have to lie to someone in order to get that money off them, it's corrupt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't chose to be an atheist (If that is what I'm labelled) I am one due to no religious person ever proving their ridiculous claim.

Just how silly are some going to get? I think that pink custard coagulated and formed all the universe and I'm not going to prove one bit of it. If you don't believe me then it's you who are just choosing not to instead of actually being that I haven't proved the nonsense.

So I didn't make me an Atheist - YOU DID! By your lack of substantiating any of your nonsense.

You can change that at any time you wish - Won't be holding my breath at this end, I can tell you!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have just erected a straw man so large, it could have put the fear of God up Edward Woodward.

Well in their defence what else can they do? They have nothing else of any substance and in all the threads in all of DS not one religious person has backed up their claim - FACT!

So ridiculous straw men, women and gods they will have to and will forever be.

(Be prepared for the 'It's not me, it you!' nonsensical argument.)
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ishina's Law really in full flow here. :D
  • Options
    Stan MarinoStan Marino Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    I think everyone who owns a red t-shirt should be prevented from marrying.
  • Options
    Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of us are products of a homosexual act.
    So in a hypothetical story where I have sex with my boyfriend and the sperm produced is handed out of the door to a female who impregnates herself with it, I/we have had a sex act with this female? When? Where? How?

Females who go to a sperm bank have also not had any sort of sex act with the donor.

Your really are just trying to invent things to match your thoughts - Just change your thoughts to match reality and you will start making progress.

Any child resulting from the hypothetical story you have come up with would be a by-product of a homosexual act, and/or artificial insemination. You are the one who is trying to invent things, and seemingly denying the reproductive system.