My Thoughts on the Future of BBC News and Sport

BoatmanBoatman Posts: 513
Forum Member
✭✭
I was listening Radio 5 Live recently and the thought occurred to me – why not convert BBC News into a Radio 5 Live style news and sports channel?

The advantages would be that it would give the BBC a dedicated sports channel at little additional cost and free up the other channels to continue with their usual diet of soaps and reality tv.

The format would be the rolling news as it is currently broadcast but this would stop when sport was shown. The news would of course take priority if there was a major news item but then if it was really big this would be carried over to BBC1.

The disadvantage would be that we would not have a 24 hour news channel but then do we need it? I think we survived perfectly well before rolling news channels were invented.

BBC Parliament could also be used for sport outside the hours when parliament was sitting.

Well those are my thoughts please discuss but no BBC bashing.

Comments

• Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Boatman wrote: »

The advantages would be that it would give the BBC a dedicated sports channel at little additional cost and free up the other channels to continue with their usual diet of soaps and reality tv.

The format would be the rolling news as it is currently broadcast but this would stop when sport was shown.

Oh dear.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What Sport would the BBC show though, they have not many contracts these days.
  • BoatmanBoatman Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have a lot of sport as has been set out in other threads.
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC News operation is the most justifiable thing the BBC do. It would be lunacy for the BBC not to have a 24 hours news channel as the national broadcaster in this day and age.
  • Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have a lot of sport as has been set out in other threads.

So what about when there's more than one event going on? And what about when there's some news that is definitely "breaking", but not big enough to break into BBC1? Would they lower the threshold to break into the main channel (annoying the fans of "soaps and reality tv", or cancel the broadcast of usually very expensive sport?

There's very little "regular" programming on a weekend because of this, so I don't see that it causes much disruption.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other day we had a major event (the Queen opening parliament) and a big breaking news story (Fergie's retirement) an ideal opportunity for BBC1 to stay with its scheduled programming on the Queen and the News channel to stay with Fergie. But what happened ? The News channel simply simulcast what was already available on BBC1 and BBC Parliament:eek:
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The BBC" have very little power to move away from what they are, so this is a political matter really.

Government would have to agree to changes. Assuming they did...

Radio is very different from TV. People are often happy to just listen to something "sporty".

But TV sport is one area where more is better.

More TV channels for general entertainment has been a disaster, everything is spread thinly. But with sport it's a different matter, Wimbledon needs several "channels" really.

Much of the sport the BBC does have really needs several channels.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the BBC were to launch "a sports channel" then it would need to be a whole bunch of channels under a common name.

And for TV the better combination with sport is music.

A selection of BBC channels that provided music events and sporting events would be a very good use of a broadcast service. Maximising the airtime.

No live sport? They can always put on a small event ala "Later With Jools Holland" or replay something big from the music archives. Or a live concert featuring someone current.

BBC ARENA - The Event of the World Into Your Home

Sometimes that event would be wall-to-wall sport like Wimbledon, sometimes a lengthy music event like Glastonbury with different performances being covered simultaneously.

What a public service that would be. Keeping schedule destroying sport and music away from BBC1/2 schedules most of the time.
  • AKWAKW Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was listening Radio 5 Live recently and the thought occurred to me – why not convert BBC News into a Radio 5 Live style news and sports channel?

The format would be the rolling news as it is currently broadcast but this would stop when sport was shown. The news would of course take priority if there was a major news item but then if it was really big this would be carried over to BBC1.

The disadvantage would be that we would not have a 24 hour news channel but then do we need it? I think we survived perfectly well before rolling news channels were invented.

BBC Parliament could also be used for sport outside the hours when parliament was sitting.

Well those are my thoughts please discuss but no BBC bashing.

News and Parliament are for news and news related programming. BBC1, 2, 3 & 4 are for general entertainment; Sport is entertainment so thats the place for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC News operation is the most justifiable thing the BBC do. It would be lunacy for the BBC not to have a 24 hours news channel as the national broadcaster in this day and age.
    I think you are confusing quantity with quality.
    There was a time when there was a news at 5:50pm for 10 minutes and another at 8:50pm for 15 minutes. That gave all the news anyone needed.
    There was no continual repitition or people standing outside buildings at night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe in the early years of BBC Radio there were times when the announcer would say: There is no news today (because of lack of information from news agencies) and the bulletins would be dropped. Now when there is no news the programmes are actually extended:eek:
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear.

Yes - my thoughts return to the ITV News Channel (a rolling news channel that ended up being a part-time news channel, and could not cover major news events because it was covering a football match)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What Sport would the BBC show though, they have not many contracts these days.

Yes, another point that was overlooked (but mentioned quite a few times in similar "BBC Sports Channel" threads)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Yes, another point that was overlooked (but mentioned quite a few times in similar "BBC Sports Channel" threads)

Only in the mind of Sky fan Mossy.

In fact there is quite a lot of sport on BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    And for TV the better combination with sport is music.

A selection of BBC channels that provided music events and sporting events would be a very good use of a broadcast service. Maximising the airtime.

No live sport? They can always put on a small event ala "Later With Jools Holland" or replay something big from the music archives. Or a live concert featuring someone current.

BBC ARENA - The Event of the World Into Your Home

Sometimes that event would be wall-to-wall sport like Wimbledon, sometimes a lengthy music event like Glastonbury with different performances being covered simultaneously.

What a public service that would be. Keeping schedule destroying sport and music away from BBC1/2 schedules most of the time.

Now that's a good idea.
  • Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The other day we had a major event (the Queen opening parliament) and a big breaking news story (Fergie's retirement) an ideal opportunity for BBC1 to stay with its scheduled programming on the Queen and the News channel to stay with Fergie. But what happened ? The News channel simply simulcast what was already available on BBC1 and BBC Parliament:eek:

I imagine there just isn't the spare staff capacity to essentially run two rolling news channels simultaneously. And if they did, wouldn't it be a waste 99% of the time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only in the mind of Sky fan Mossy.

In fact there is quite a lot of sport on BBC.

So where's the sport today?

Yesterday?

Two days ago?

Three days ago?

What would comprise the sport next week (Mon-Fri)?

Yes, there's quite a lot of sport when events clash. But when they don't there is very little.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a time when there was a news at 5:50pm for 10 minutes and another at 8:50pm for 15 minutes. That gave all the news anyone needed.
    There was no continual repitition or people standing outside buildings at night.

some of the coverage was very ropey -see this example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB1KbpuM9P4

Michael Buerk sitting at a desk; Brian Hanrahan intervieing the weather man
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    I believe in the early years of BBC Radio there were times when the announcer would say: There is no news today (because of lack of information from news agencies) and the bulletins would be dropped. Now when there is no news the programmes are actually extended:eek:

That is recorded as only ever happening just the once, in 1954 IIRC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    That is recorded as only ever happening just the once, in 1954 IIRC.

I was referring to the 1920s and 30s:eek:
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    some of the coverage was very ropey -see this example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB1KbpuM9P4

Michael Buerk sitting at a desk; Brian Hanrahan intervieing the weather man

Yes, indeed.

But in those 5 minutes there was probably more actual news than you would get today - and less fancy music and less walking around big studios.

Of course we can look back on it now and it looks very outdated but the actual news was there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we need the internet? We survived perfectly well before its use became widespread.

Do we need mobile phones? We survived perfectly well before they were invented.

The thing is that we are now accustomed to all of the trappings of 21st century life, and now that the genie is out of the bottle, it is nigh on impossible to get it back in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The concept of a rolling news channel is just that - rolling news coverage, a series of news reports repeated on a cycle (with opportunities for new items to be added and older items to be dropped), so that people can dip in and out of the coverage when it suits them rather than being tied to a broadcast schedule Coverage which is not meant to be watched for hours on end.

And with modern communications, modern technology, social media, the whole country (and world) has been opened up, with more opportunities for news that would not have been broadcast all those years ago (either due to lack of space/time, or lack of actual reports). And the appetite for information (and in some cases, instant information) has grown accordingly.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Yes, indeed.

But in those 5 minutes there was probably more actual news than you would get today - and less fancy music and less walking around big studios.

Of course we can look back on it now and it looks very outdated but the actual news was there.

Yes but the story selection was very narrow. And the BBC didnt seem to be able to get beyond west London to cover a nationwide weather story!
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    I was referring to the 1920s and 30s:eek:

I thought my comment made it clear that it is not recorded as happening in the 20s or 30s?