RIP Esther Williams

Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,188
Forum Member
I am surprised that there has been no mention of the death of Esther Williams at the age of 91.

Maybe there aren't many over 65's in here who remember this great MGM swimming star.

Her greatest film was Million Dollar Mermaid, aka The One Piece Bathing Suit.

When That's Entertainment was released in 1975, Esther's spectacular swimming scenes had the audiences clapping and cheering, they really were incredible.

She was a big part of my childhood, and I am sad to see the passing of yet another of the few remaining movie legends from that Golden Age. :(

Comments

• GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember her mainly from the other film featuring Gene Kelly/Frank Sinatra/Jules Munshin, 'Take Me Out To The Ball Game'. She didn't enjoy the experience, apparently. Shame.

Anyway, RIP Mermaid.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,188
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I remember her mainly from the other film featuring Gene Kelly/Frank Sinatra/Jules Munshin, 'Take Me Out To The Ball Game'. She didn't enjoy the experience, apparently. Shame.

Anyway, RIP Mermaid.

That was one that I missed, because I detest baseball, and also, because she didn't swim!

As Fanny Brice the original Funny Girl once commented about Esther, "Wet she's a Star, dry she ain't" ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Esther had a good innings at 91. Spookily, I was just watching "Dangerous When Wet" on Wednesday night. It's the one with the animated sequence where she swims with tom & jerry.

I read her autobiography last year, very interesting and certainly revealing about all the advances and bed-hopping that was going on in the classic hollywood days.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,188
    Forum Member
    revans9 wrote: »
    Esther had a good innings at 91. Spookily, I was just watching "Dangerous When Wet" on Wednesday night. It's the one with the animated sequence where she swims with tom & jerry.

I read her autobiography last year, very interesting and certainly revealing about all the advances and bed-hopping that was going on in the classic hollywood days.

There are some wonderful clips from her best films on YouTube entitled, Esther Williams: Princess Mermaid.
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have the TCM collection of her movies love all the movies she did with Van Johnson especially "Thrill of a Romance" and "Easy to Love" RIP