Options

How old were you went you learnt to do a tie?

Comments

• Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11. Wore a tie every (school) day for 5 years at high school.
  • Options
    ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    What exactly is the point of a tie ?......seriously .
  • Options
    Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't wear a tie until upper school, so it was when I was 11/12.

Same here, although at the secondary school I attended school ties were only compulsory until we reached the 4th year (14/15 year old - now Year 10) when school uniform rules were relaxed and we could more or less dress as we liked provided that we stuck to school colours (black or grey + gold or white) and were deemed "decent" i.e. no short skirts, no low cut blouses, no midriffs showing etc. Boys still had to wear ties though except in Summer.
  • Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I learnt the four-in-hand for secondary school. I learnt how to tie it properly, so the end just reaches the waistband (as should be made mandatory, by LAW) when I was 26.

Two relatively irrelevant things that irritate the hell out of me are knots bigger than a man's fist and ends that hang half way up the shirt, making the wearer look like a bloody schoolboy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    11 - at secondary school
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    5 - at primary school. Also wore a tie at secondary school. I'm female.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11, for secondary school. In primary school I had one of those stringy ties. I'm a girl and I'm going to university soon, so that's a skill I will probably never need to use again.
  • Options
    DomestosDomestos Posts: 7,014
    Forum Member
    6. That's when a uniform with a tie was introduced to my Primary school. Carried on wearing ties in education til I was 16. And now I sometimes wear one cos I think ties are great.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    11 our high school required every pupil to wear one.

I still to this day dnt understand what a tie actually does though :p
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still can't.
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same time as I learned to tie my shoelaces, aged 18:D
  • Options
    Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The day before I started high school, we only had the clip ins (or never wore them) in primary school. I went to a wedding on Saturday and it took me a few seconds to remember how to do them it had been ages since I wore one
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Genuinely can't remember. But younger than 10/11.

Never learned to do a bow-tie properly though :cry:
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    11, we had to for school
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Yep, 11 for me too. The school was a military one, and ties were compulsary for girls and boys.

In the summer though, if it was really hot, we had 'Shirt Sleeve Order' eg, we were allowed to remove the tie, and fold our sleeves up, had to be very neatly though, just above the elbow! :eek::D
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was 5 for school. My mum did it the first few weeks and then taught me how to do it myself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Late teens(18/19) /early twenties (am a female, school uniform didn't have a tie and cadets had a pre done clip on) ..
    I learnt to aid my superb flirting technique (which involved undoing and doing the gentlemans tie) when out in city bars :o it always worked! :D I must admit to having once been one of 'those' daft girls who would, by the end of the evening, be wearing several men's ties... :o

For the record- I always gave the ties back same evening, before departing our seperate ways (to to clarify..)
    Although I didnt give one tie back- its still in the wardrobe now as it belongs to my husband :D :cool:
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I must admit, I can't do one but as a woman I've never needed to....
    Female here too, but we needed to in primary school. It must have been shortly after I started, age 5, that I learned as I don't remember my parents having to do it for me, but obviously they must have done for a short time.

Funny thing is, my brother is 2-and-a-half years older and I can remember my dad having to do his tie for him for many years. I learned long before him, but then my brother was always at the coo's tail for pretty much everything. :D
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 39 and I still can't put a tie on by myself. Have to get my mum to do it.:o
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    9. Had to wear a tie every Sunday for church at boarding school /borstal.
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    First year in big school - 11. Windsor knot, of course.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I was about 12/13.
    In Year 7 Dad had to do it for me, around his own neck, take it off still tied, and then loop if over my head!

The knot he eventually taught me is quite complicated; I don't know what it's called. It's the only one I know and the one I do to this day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,012
    Forum Member
    5 for primary school.
    I still remember my dad teaching me how to do it. :)
  • Options
    alr837alr837 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to wear one from primary school up to the end if 6th form, so must have learnt around 5 or 6. Only had to tie a tie for fancy dress parties for many years, until a couple of years ago, whilst a wedding guest - came down to hotel reception to go to the church and was faced with 6 American ushers and the groom, none of which could tie their ties! Was a good way to introduce myself! Lol
  • Options
    telly fantelly fan Posts: 2,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 for me (female) it was compulsory in primary and secondary for boys and girls, my boys both learned at that age too I think they got a badge at anchor boys as it was one of their achievements to join the boys brigade