Haunting songs which mean so much to you...

Comments

• Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's A Motherf*cker' - Eels (Don't let the title put you off; it's achingly beautiful!)
    This Masquerade - The Carpenters
    Long Long Long - Beatles
    Young and Innocent Days- Kinks
    Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want This Time - Smiths

Ooh, I could go on and on. But I wont. ;)

Edit: Well, I'll just add 'Cloudbusting' and pretty much all of 'The Ninth Wave' sequence of 'Hounds of Love' by Kate Bush.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My immortal by evanescence is simply a beautiful song and part if the lyrics remind me if my feeling about my late mother

Truly madly deeply by savage garden. It was the last song I can remember my mother saying she really liked. When I get married this will be my first dance, my mum won't be there so this is her contribution

Agnus Dei the choir version with barbers adagio for strings. A fantastic piece of music and one I want at my funeral.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Both "I Believe in You" and "I don't believe in you" by Talk Talk. Actually, anything Mark Hollis sings pretty much sends my spine tingling.
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skylar Grey - Invisible
    Skylar Grey - Words

These songs are just so deep and the lyrics.
  • CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Jillstar wrote: »
    Stay Another Day by East 17 always reminds me of when my mum was seriously ill in hospital when I was little :(. Everytime I hear it around Christmas time it always makes me realise how lucky I am to have my mum around.
    For me it just felt wrong seeing all the recent parodies of the song, given what the song & lyrics mean to me and my family, as well as the guy who wrote the song originally.

That is a beautiful song, I've always loved it.
  • CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    It's A Motherf*cker' - Eels (Don't let the title put you off; it's achingly beautiful!)
    This Masquerade - The Carpenters
    Long Long Long - Beatles
    Young and Innocent Days- Kinks
    Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want This Time - Smiths

Ooh, I could go on and on. But I wont. ;)

Edit: Well, I'll just add 'Cloudbusting' and pretty much all of 'The Ninth Wave' sequence of 'Hounds of Love' by Kate Bush.

Oh Yes The Smiths and Kate too, there are so many beautiful and haunting songs cited on this thread.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blink 182- I Miss You
    Michael Jackson- The Man In the Mirror
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly this year (2013) we lost two of the finest female singers there has ever been... :cry:

Patti Page (85) and my all time favourite Deanna Durbin (91) making this song by Deanna all the more poignant... The Old Refrain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n8jqR6VzUY
  • BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ordinary World by Duran Duran

Takes me back to the time I long for again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This Woman's Work by Kate Bush, and Stay by Shakespears Sister are my big ones. No "personal" connection as such, they just move me like no other songs do.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    King Crimson - One Time reminds me of college.
    I like much of what King Crimson do (or did), but I truly can't stand anything with that ex-Talking Heads vocalist.
    Far better, in my opinion is this, in spite of the fact that John Wetton must be the only person ever to make it as a vocalist carrying a severe lisp. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlsAjke94Xc
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member
    Jillstar wrote: »
    Stay Another Day by East 17 always reminds me of when my mum was seriously ill in hospital when I was little :(. Everytime I hear it around Christmas time it always makes me realise how lucky I am to have my mum around.
    For me it just felt wrong seeing all the recent parodies of the song, given what the song & lyrics mean to me and my family, as well as the guy who wrote the song originally.

*hug* I'm glad that everything is okay now. :)
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mysty211 wrote: »
    Skylar Grey - Invisible
    Skylar Grey - Words

These songs are just so deep and the lyrics.

Skylar Grey is amazing. I was disappointed with her new album though. It's a shame she has to become more urban to become more relevant. Like Blood, Like Honey was her at her best.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Long Long Long - Beatles
    Ooh - nice one.

I feel slightly embarrassed at even admitting to knowing about this one, but if The Carnival Is Over by The Seekers was ever played at a funeral, they'd have to carry me out in a bin liner.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ZipKdI1sY
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kate Bush has produced quite a few. One of my favourites is actually her 1981 cover of the Donovan song 'Lord Of The Reedy River'. It's eerily haunting and was one of the first tracks to show the young Kate's genius as a producer IMO.
  • BeaconboofBeaconboof Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney, Everytime
  • Johnny 99Johnny 99 Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Most of Nebraska by Bruce Springsteen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Lana Del Rey - Video Games (The first time I heard this two years ago, I sat there listening, and when it stopped, I just sat there thinking about it for a long time. It was love at first sight. Now I am such a ridiculously huge Lana Del Rey fan, she means more to me than anything)

Taylor Swift - Safe & Sound (I remember listening to this and rambling round the empty streets of my awful neighbourhood one day wishing for peace. It was a very poignant memory)

Cat Power - Sea of Love (Anyone seen the movie "Juno"?)

Kate Covington - Always with Me (Plays in the end credits of Spirited Away, the most beautiful film ever, speechless, again)

Crystal Castles - Alice Practice (The devastating finale of the first season of Skins, Crystal Castles play this track live near the end of the episode. Brought whole new emotions to the song. It gave the song painful feelings.)

Susanne Sundfor - White Foxes (it's just so beautiful. that video.)
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, this is the most haunting song both in memories and lyrically.

Who Knows Where the Time Goes ~ Fairport Convention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xODjbfYw8

]

good call!

steeleye span - 'all things are quite silent' another folk rock track.

kate bush has been mentioned afew times.. id add

"breathing" and
    "army dreamers"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjPyvoLXPs4

It's just so achingly beautiful. :sleep:

Reminds me of periods in your life where you blind yourself with unhappiness. And being blinded, you can only see everything in black and white.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    For me, it has to be War on Drugs by Barenaked Ladies. It's not quite what the title would suggest, it's not an anti-drugs rant, but a song about contemplating suicide. I think it was possibly written/produced/etc. by one of the members who left the band due to drug-related reasons, but I'm not 100% sure (just a guess).

If I'm feeling happy, it makes me feel odd, and if I'm feeling sad, it inevitably makes me cry because (as annoying as this always sounds) the song really speaks to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt3wfTi3WXo
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I feel slightly embarrassed at even admitting to knowing about this one

Why? For me the Seekers and the soaring vocals of Judith were the 60s...

So glad to hear she is doing well after her illness.
  • MybelleMybelle Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Both songs by Hurts.

Stay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nP3XB7hrFo

I reckon if it had been written by a mainstream group it would have been a big hit. Beautiful words and remind me of the way I used to feel after I met my husband on holiday and he used to fly home to Ireland every weekend after spending time over here in England with me.

Help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwKoV2tf1mQ

The words are so sad. In an interview they said it's the song they're proudest of.
  • ChateauMarmontChateauMarmont Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is Stay by Hurts and also All I Need by Within Temptation

Both remind me of the start of a relationship back in 2010, and the memories it holds remain dear to me. Watching Vampire Diaries and I'm sure at least one of these songs was in it!
  • manderleymanderley Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Philadelphia by Neil Young, hauntingly beautiful song and great movie ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ40uig4yFU