Orphan Black - UK Pace *NO SPOILERS*

Comments

• CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Golem Xof wrote: »
    In episode 2 I recognised the name of the housing estate - Bailey Downs - as the same as the setting for the film Ginger Snaps, so since they were also both made in Canada I wondered if there was any connection in the productions and found out that the co-creator of the series was the director John Fawcett.

The main actress of Orphan Black played Ghost in Ginger Snaps II as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed this but there is just one thing that's confusing me (and I apologise in advance if it makes me sound thick) and that is where is this supposed to be based? At first I thought it was based in the US, but then when she found the address of the other girl in the briefcase, it said Scarborough and she said something about it being in her "neck of the woods", but then she referred to her as a "soccer mom" which is quite an American term to me. Yet I had got the feeling that where her friend Felix lived was London but the Jag she was driving is a left hand drive which would mean its in America??? :confused::confused:

You can see why I'm getting myself confused (or just overthinking everything), so if anybody can clarify it for me it would be appreciated :)
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed this but there is just one thing that's confusing me (and I apologise in advance if it makes me sound thick) and that is where is this supposed to be based? At first I thought it was based in the US, but then when she found the address of the other girl in the briefcase, it said Scarborough and she said something about it being in her "neck of the woods", but then she referred to her as a "soccer mom" which is quite an American term to me. Yet I had got the feeling that where her friend Felix lived was London but the Jag she was driving is a left hand drive which would mean its in America??? :confused::confused:

You can see why I'm getting myself confused (or just overthinking everything), so if anybody can clarify it for me it would be appreciated :)

Canada:)

Scarborough is a suburb of Toronto. though a quick google reveals it used to be a city in its own right, much like Llandaff and Cardiff in Wales.
  • slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's based in Toronto, as StressMonkey says. In addition to references to Scarborough and such like, we've seen Canadian bank notes, money is referred to as "dollars" and logos of the Toronto police department and transit authority have also been visible in the background. I'm also convinced that some of the locations used in the first couple of episodes have also been used in shows like Rookie Blue, which is also filmed in Toronto.

The creators have said that, as a co-production filmed in Canada but also clearly intended for a US audience (among others), they wanted to create a feel of Generic-town but without necessarily going to the extent of fictionalising everything to wipe all traces of the real location.

As for Felix, he and Sarah did live in London with their foster mother, who brought them over to 'Toronto' for a fresh start (I suspect there's a plot point behind that somewhere). Hence the Dick van Dyke accents. It's referenced in dialogue in episode 2.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as the accents go, I think it is quite beleiveable that someone who was born in one country and then has moved to another as a child to have a slightly confused accent. Heck, I only spent one summer working in Scotland and when I came back my Mum pointed out I was saying "ah, I dinnea ken".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    As far as the accents go, I think it is quite beleiveable that someone who was born in one country and then has moved to another as a child to have a slightly confused accent. Heck, I only spent one summer working in Scotland and when I came back my Mum pointed out I was saying "ah, I dinnea ken".

Yeah, but you weren't going around saying' G'day mate':D

I think Felix's accent is great - I had to look up the actor to see if he was English! But Sarah's English is a bit Australian, and when it is English it seems to be taking a tour of the South East at times but certainly not the worst I've heard - I certainly wouldn't put it in the same league as Dick Van Dyke:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Canada:)

Scarborough is a suburb of Toronto. though a quick google reveals it used to be a city in its own right, much like Llandaff and Cardiff in Wales.
    It's based in Toronto, as StressMonkey says. In addition to references to Scarborough and such like, we've seen Canadian bank notes, money is referred to as "dollars" and logos of the Toronto police department and transit authority have also been visible in the background. I'm also convinced that some of the locations used in the first couple of episodes have also been used in shows like Rookie Blue, which is also filmed in Toronto.

Thanks to both of you for replying, it makes more sense now. It had crossed my mind that there might be a state/county called Scarborough in the US (and which I now know is Canada)

Just goes to show how observant I am not to have noticed the giveaway signs of it not being set in the UK, especially as I watch Rookie Blue as well :o:o

Thanks again :)
  • simplesimon1simplesimon1 Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Yeah, but you weren't going around saying' G'day mate':D

I think Felix's accent is great - I had to look up the actor to see if he was English! But Sarah's English is a bit Australian, and when it is English it seems to be taking a tour of the South East at times but certainly not the worst I've heard - I certainly wouldn't put it in the same league as Dick Van Dyke:D

Well, speaking as a Londoner, it took me most of Ep1 to realise that she was meant to be English, not an Aussie :) Her attempt at a German accent was pretty horrific, as well. It will be interesting to find out what accent the new twin at the end of Ep2 was speaking - hope it wasn't meant to be one of the Scandinavian countries.

Anyway, regardless of the accents, it looks as if it will be mildly entertaining fun for the rest of the series. Nothing particularly original (so far) for the 'clone' genre but it will pass the time whilst waiting for S2 of 'The Returned'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched episode 1 last night..... I wasn't blown away. It was, ok...
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member

You need to watch it again.;)

Wiki copy...
    Graeme Manson said that the setting is deliberately ambiguous. "It’s meant to be Generica. It’s part of the price you pay for this kind of co-production."
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Deleted :o
  • stanld03stanld03 Posts: 2,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the 1st and 2nd episodes and thought it was worth watching to see how things develop. After the 3rd episode I'm hooked ^^.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    Scarborough is a suburb of Toronto.
    And also a town in Maine, USA.
    It had crossed my mind that there might be a state/county called Scarborough in the US..
    See above :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well you learn something new everyday:). Not entirely sure how I'm going to work that into conversation tomorrow but I'm going to give it damn good try:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    I watched episode 1 last night..... I wasn't blown away. It was, ok...

I admit I thought it was so so after episode 1 but decided to watch the second episode anyway and am glad I did as it really drew me in (despite me wondering where it was supposed to be based! :) )

See above :D

Thanks for that - I don't feel so bad now I know there is more than one Scarborough!

Will definitely pay more attention when I watch the next episode and now I have cleared it up where the series is set, will hopefully stop my mind wandering and will just enjoy the programme, although I'm sure I will be back again if I get confused about something... :)
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's a Scarborough in New York as well and one in South Africa, one in Trinidad and Tobago and three in Australia
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    There's a Scarborough in New York as well and one in South Africa, one in Trinidad and Tobago and three in Australia

And one in Yorkshire. I believe it has (or had) a fair:D
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And one in Yorkshire. I believe it has (or had) a fair:D

I think it sold parseley, sage, rosemary and thyme
  • nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

I've been to Scarborough beach - it was beautiful......(the one in Perth, Australia :D) Although I have a soft spot for my Yorkshire Scarborough too
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reminder.............episode 3 coming up at 9 on BBC3
  • Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying this I must say I couldn't step into someone else's shoes and i doubt neither could anyone else and so I have to just go with the fantasy but its good!
    And I just love Felix especially in tonight's episode :D
  • IzzieStarIzzieStar Posts: 21,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed this tonight because I was watching Strictly. Does anybody know if it will be repeated? :)

I had a look through the listings, but didn't see it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella71110 wrote: »
    I'm enjoying this I must say I couldn't step into someone else's shoes and i doubt neither could anyone else and so I have to just go with the fantasy but its good!
    And I just love Felix especially in tonight's episode :D
    Ah, the cross-dressing kids ...

I thought this episode was a bit slower because of the need to shift the plot on and fill in some of the details, but I did like the way they played around with this like it was a police procedural show. After two fairly dark episodes, it needed a little bit of a lighter turn. Back to more action next week, hopefully.

I'm still planning on doing weekly reviews and will hopefully do so throughout. They're on the Metro.co.uk website or you can link through via http://slouchingtowardstv.com/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzieStar wrote: »
    I missed this tonight because I was watching Strictly. Does anybody know if it will be repeated? :)

I had a look through the listings, but didn't see it.
    Nope. It's only on iPlayer or Sky On Demand, I'm afraid.
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched 2 episodes and this didn't grab me at all. it seemed very implausible that this girl could mimic all these different people and accents. Plus the accents are terrible, every time she says a word she sounds like a different nationality lol. The real killer is I don't like any of the characters, including the lead. The music is also annoying. the show just reeks trying to be cool. the story is pretty interesting but i dotn think I can get past the other stuff.