Options

How's your mental arithmetic?

tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
Forum Member
✭✭
On another thread someone was asking £6.31x 18.
Are you someone that routinely works stuff like that in your head, or are you someone that turns to the paper+pen, or calculator?

Comments

• Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    I Could do it in my head but probably would use pen and paper. I don't generally do over 12 times anything in my head. I was a pre-decimal child.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mental arithmetic skills are declining but i'm not sure why. It just doesn't add up
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    I'm not particularly consistent in my approach. That particular sum I did in my head, but catch me in a lazier mood and I would just as easily have gone for a calculator.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you someone that routinely works stuff like that in your head, or are you someone that turns to the paper+pen, or calculator?

Always check on a calculator after I try. I don't really trust my head with numbers.

- A_Zombie
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know what's slightly alarming.

Even though I always loved maths in school, we did no mental arithmetic at all, in fact I'm not sure we were ever taught to multiple decimals without a calculator.

Weird.
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you get if you multiply 1 nutter by 1 lunatic.

Is that the sort of mental arithmatic you mean?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member

I thought the OP was asking how much he'd take home rather than 6.31*18.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It took me ages the other day to work out that two lots of forty five minutes was an hour an a half.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    Always in my head unless it's tricky and accuracy is crucial, in which case I do it in my head then check on calculator.

I was one of those strange children who begged my folks to write me pages of sums out so I could do them for fun, and would get them to ask me sums while they sat with a calculator.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    karijn wrote: »
    I thought the OP was asking how much he'd take home rather than 6.31*18.

Seeing as he didn't have the decency to actually explain what he wanted to know, instead preferring to dish out schoolchild style abuse, we'll never know.

But as for mental arithmetic, I'll use the old noggin', unless I'm sat on my laptop in which case I'll press the Windows key, type "calc", press ENTER then up pops the handy calculator tool and off I go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always in my head unless it's tricky and accuracy is crucial, in which case I do it in my head then check on calculator.

I was one of those strange children who begged my folks to write me pages of sums out so I could do them for fun, and would get them to ask me sums while they sat with a calculator.

My son is one of those weirdo's. He loves me writing out a pages of sums for him. "Did I get them all right mum?" Buggered if I know!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    My son is one of those weirdo's. He loves me writing out a pages of sums for him. "Did I get them all right mum?" Buggered if I know!

:D

Give him the calculator and tell him to check for himself! ;)
  • Options
    ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    Learnt it all at Ladbrokes in fractions ...relearnt it all at betfair in decimals
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    It took me ages the other day to work out that two lots of forty five minutes was an hour an a half.

:D:D

It always takes me forever to work out the cooking time for the Christmas turkey. :D
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Less reliable than my physical arithmetic but always available wherever I go.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You break it down.
    My dad taught me 50+ years ago.

£108 (6 x 18)
    +
    £5.40 (30p x 18)
    +
    18p (1 x 18)
    =
    £113.58

On payday his pals gave him their payslips to check if their tax was correct.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It always takes me forever to work out the cooking time for the Christmas turkey. :D

It's at least a month for sprouts :eek:
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    You know what's slightly alarming.

Even though I always loved maths in school, we did no mental arithmetic at all, in fact I'm not sure we were ever taught to multiple decimals without a calculator.

Weird.
    Some of us went to school before calculators were invented!:eek::D

So multiplication and division was done the old fashioned way with pen and paper...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh I know, 45 mins per Kg or something and it weighs some random amount like 2.86Kg. I have no chance anyway as I'm still working in pounds and ounces. These days I use my mums golden rule of cooking, when it's brown it's done and when it's black it's buggered.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Used to be great at mental maths. Could even square numbers 1-49 off the top of me head, but I forgot the formula needed to do so. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delia suggests you stab it to see of it bleeds.
    If it squawks gag it and put it back in.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mental maths is embarrassingly bad, though bizzarely I gave birth to one of scotland's finest mathematicians :confused:
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good, but then I couldn't do my job if it wasn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    I went to school before calculators, so we did everything with pen and paper. Every Friday afternoon at primary school we did at last an hour of mental arithmetic. No pens or paper allowed, all calculations to be done in your head. And this was pre decimal currency, so you'd get sums like : "You have 39/11d in your piggy bank and you want to buy one comic at 6d, a box of chocolates at 2/6d and a bunch of flowers for 3/11d. How much change to you have?" And we'd have to work it out in our heads!
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might initially approximate it as £7*18 but for accuracy would reach for a calculator.

Edit: Actually 6*18 would be better, but meh :)