Options

Tampon troubles.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 451
Forum Member
So I was an absolute idiot and fell to sleep with a tampon in, it was in for over 8 hours I've taken it out but I know one of the symptoms of TSS is abdominal pain and I have a slight pain in my side but I'm not sure if that just normal period pain or not. What do I do now? Do I go to my doctor or?

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    no, you`ll be fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you had toxic shock syndrome I think you'd know about it.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Toxic-shock-syndrome/Pages/Symptoms.aspx
  • Options
    DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know of people who have left tampons in for days by mistake. Im sure u will be fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DinkyDoo wrote: »
    I know of people who have left tampons in for days by mistake. Im sure u will be fine.

I need a vomit smilie and after reading the comment at the bottom of my link. A girl I was in university with was rushed to hospital delirious from it. Up until reading that link I thought it was caused by chemicals in tampons not bacteria.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can sleep with tampons in. TSS is very rare.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    From my experience, it'll be nothing. Don't worry.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I've been sleeping with tampons in for years and years - it's perfectly fine to do so! As others have said TSS is very rare. I'm sure you're fine, but there's absolutely no harm in going to your GP, to put your mind at rest.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always go to bed with a tampon in. I use the lightest flow one I can though. I never seem to bleed as much in bed.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    DinkyDoo wrote: »

:eek: *vom*
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will be fine, stop stressing.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always slept with a tampon in too. Who doesn't?
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    I always sleep with them in. That's the whole point of them, towels urgh!

I used to work with a GP who advised me (after a patient brought it up) that TSS is VERY rare from
    Tampons and it has probably only happened a handful of times but the tampon manufacturers have to cover their asses an advise you of the risks.
  • Options
    marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Done it meself many a time and was fine
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought it was perfectly normal to sleep with a tampon in!

Please do not waste a doctor's time, it is not necessary unless you get a sudden high temperature and/or severe pain. TSS is extremely rare
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I was an absolute idiot and fell to sleep with a tampon in, it was in for over 8 hours I've taken it out but I know one of the symptoms of TSS is abdominal pain and I have a slight pain in my side but I'm not sure if that just normal period pain or not. What do I do now? Do I go to my doctor or?

As everyone else has said, TSS is extremely rare. Most people sleep with tampons in all the time, I have always done this right from the very beginning.

It is a consideration but you really don't need to be running to the doctor just because you've left a tampon in a while.
  • Options
    DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: *vom*

If I recall correctly it wasnt down to them being scummy, more they had accidently 'doubled up'
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    I was wondering this too. I've slept with a tampon in for over 25 years (when required obviously - not literally for 25 years :D ).

:D Now that would be a TSS case!!