Computers - A Core Educational Subject?

User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How come two people of the same age can have such vast differences in the ability to use a computer? My other half and I both use PC's all day long as our jobs, but yet if you ask my other half to do anything other than save an Excel file or Word file they're absolutely baffled. If for instance you said..'set your default internet search engine to google' they'd be stumped and equating it to solving a rubbix cube blindfolded while being doused in burning petrol....well slight over exaggeration there ;)

With the increasing use of IT, is it time being 'computer literate' was taught at the same in place of some other subject? Make it a core subject and not something that's optional? I'm not talking about learning to write code...but simple things such as

Connecting to Wifi
How to use search engines properly (ie Keywords)
How to install/uninstall a program
Different Browsers
Usage of key software (ie Excel or Word type programs)
How to reset a PC and start afresh
etc

I just can't get over how someone can spend hours at PC everyday but are unable to do anything, and why people get scared of a machine that will do (99% of the time) only what you want it to do??!!

I'm kinda getting to the point where I think it's akin to not knowing how to tell the time or tie your shoe laces.

Comments

• User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it time being 'computer literate' was taught at the same level as core subjects (Maths, English) and in place of some other subjects (RE etc)?

Note to self....proof read next time
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Obviously computing classes do have a part to play but I sometimes think nothing beats self teaching if you have a computer and just play about with it in your own time then you'll be much more comfortable than someone who can do anything and everything with a word document but not be entirely sure how to turn off the machine.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how old you are, but comparing the knowledge of 2 adults with what is currently taught in schools, seems odd to me.
    I'm pretty sure a teenager with wifi on their smartphone can connect up to a router.

Users vary, some have no interest in how a pc works, they just want it to work. I'm not sure about only doing what you want it to do. Most of the problems are that users fail to understand what they have asked the application to do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    I'm not sure how old you are, but comparing the knowledge of 2 adults with what is currently taught in schools, seems odd to me.
    I'm pretty sure a teenager with wifi on their smartphone can connect up to a router.

Users vary, some have no interest in how a pc works, they just want it to work. I'm not sure about only doing what you want it to do. Most of the problems are that users fail to understand what they have asked the application to do.

That's a fair point,I often forget we left school a few years longer than I thought!!

I suppose then if teenagers are fully fledged IT users in the modern world then there's no need for any extra lessons. I suspect there'll be a few though who are unable to do much more than browse and update Twitter etc.

If they're all clued up then I think it's:

/thread
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was already a core subject?
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The people who annoy me are the ones who ask me to repair their "slow" PC which usually have ten toolbars on all browsers and ten million viruses and malware programs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A_Zombie wrote: »

You do IT (aka ICT) at school, but only certain schools insist on ICT being a compulsory subject taken at GCSE, it's not a 'core' GCSE like English or Maths is etc.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the three key skills needed are:
    1) finding the Help function and/or identifying relevant information
    2) understanding what it is trying to say
    3) translating what you think it says on to the screen in front of you

There is also the assumption of the basics of operation (click vs drag etc) and what the things on the screen are called but self-help depends on those three above.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, you say your other half works with computers for his job yet can't do the most simple of PC related tasks‽ Is your other half cmorris by any chance?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they're all clued up then...
    What usually fools them is using keyboard shortcuts and function keys. Alt + F4, Alt+F | X .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    OP, you say your other half works with computers for his job yet can't do the most simple of PC related tasks‽ Is your other half cmorris by any chance?
    LOL:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »

That reference went straight over my head! So no they aren't!

But quite interesting if you search 'Cmorris' his DS profile page is the first google hit.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What usually fools them is using keyboard shortcuts and function keys. Alt + F4, Alt+F | X .
    I have always preferred these and even remember learning some extra ones by RTFM back in the days when they had those big papery things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    The people who annoy me are the ones who ask me to repair their "slow" PC which usually have ten toolbars on all browsers and ten million viruses and malware programs.

My Dad does this. Every few weeks his laptop has to be dipped in disinfectant. He then goes right ahead and installs all the same crap again. No matter how many times we tell him.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    My Dad does this. Every few weeks his laptop has to be dipped in disinfectant. He then goes right ahead and installs all the same crap again. No matter how many times we tell him.

That would get on my bloody nerves! Especially if I'd carefully explained to him what would happen if he didn't uncheck little boxes when he was installing software.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »

:D:D Ditto.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To get some idea of what's being taught in schools these days you might like to take a look at the BBC's Bitesize. ICT (Information and Communication Technology - i.e. Computer Studies) is taught from KS3 upwards.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize

There are plans to change from teaching how to use Microsoft Office to teaching programming. I'm not sure that's a sensible decision for the majority of pupils, and I seriously wonder where they hope to get the necessary teachers from.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    To get some idea of what's being taught in schools these days you might like to take a look at the BBC's Bitesize. ICT (Information and Communication Technology - i.e. Computer Studies) is taught from KS3 upwards.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize

There are plans to change from teaching how to use Microsoft Office to teaching programming. I'm not sure that's a sensible decision for the majority of pupils, and I seriously wonder where they hope to get the necessary teachers from.
    If the kids get taught about programming early, then maybe they'll develop an interest and want to go in deeper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the kids get taught about programming early, then maybe they'll develop an interest and want to go in deeper.
    I was speaking to someone on Saturday and they said they were teaching Python to year 7. Scratch is also popular I understand as a means of introducing key concepts.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With loads of different operating systems out there teaching someone to add/remove a program under win 7 will be a fat lot of use when they get handed an apple mac and in the business world the last thing you want your users doing is messing around installing unlicensed software and all the crap that will appear when mavis in accounts decides to install some fish screensaver that disables the AV and starts to scan and drop as many viruses across the network as possible
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    How come two people of the same age can have such vast differences in the ability to use a computer? My other half and I both use PC's all day long as our jobs, but yet if you ask my other half to do anything other than save an Excel file or Word file they're absolutely baffled. If for instance you said..'set your default internet search engine to google' they'd be stumped and equating it to solving a rubbix cube blindfolded while being doused in burning petrol....well slight over exaggeration there ;)

If your other half works on a computer all day long and can do their job perfectly well without having to set a default search engine, where's the problem? :confused:

A computer is a tool. I use one for work, but there are functions I need to use, and others I don't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was speaking to someone on Saturday and they said they were teaching Python to year 7. Scratch is also popular I understand as a means of introducing key concepts.
    Lucky, much more interesting than making Access reports like what I had to do at GCSE.
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It already is at the school I went to. :cool:
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member

That's putting the horse properly before the cart. :cool:

OP has a point though, some folks are just wilfully ignorant.
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    There are plans to change from teaching how to use Microsoft Office to teaching programming.

This sounds like an excellent idea to me. When I was at school Microsoft Office didn't exist, we learnt programming with BBC basic and a bit of assembly language too, much more useful than how to use a word processor or spreadsheet - you can pick that up easily enough when you need to, it's hardly an academic subject.