What a relief !

2»

Comments

• The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    Reserved wrote: »
    Suzanne left the show weeks ago :confused:

What's Suzanne got to do with anything? She got bounced after making a complete mess of her "best" routine.
  • ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's Suzanne got to do with anything? She got bounced after making a complete mess of her "best" routine.

Read the post I quoted.

If you did, then I have no idea why you're asking me "What's Suzanne got to do with anything?" because you should already have the answer to that :confused:
  • The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    Reserved wrote: »
    Read the post I quoted.

If you did, then I have no idea why you're asking me "What's Suzanne got to do with anything?" because you should already have the answer to that :confused:

I wasn't actually asking you anything. It was a rhetorical question following on from the point you made.
  • xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    Why are you surprised Ray was nailed on to win from the start
  • nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was quite a surprise after last week though - we know that last week he must have been 3rd or 4th in the public vote :o
  • xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    natalian wrote: »
    It was quite a surprise after last week though - we know that last week he must have been 3rd or 4th in the public vote :o

People knew in the skate off Ray is going though no matter who he's up against Ray is going though why waste your money voting for him when you can save it and mass vote for him in the finals when he needs the votes
  • zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    Haley was robbed but then she didn't get the rebound vote ray got for being in the bottom two last week or all the last on time slots he got.
  • nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zelda fan wrote: »
    Haley was robbed but then she didn't get the rebound vote ray got for being in the bottom two last week or all the last on time slots he got.

Being last would have been to Ray's disadvantage tonight. With the phone lines open from the start of the show, supporters of Beth/Haley had much more time after their performances to register their votes before the lines closed.

Personally, I don't think Haley was robbed. She wasn't in the same league as Ray.
  • don robertodon roberto Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    Didn't watch tonight, better things to do so, delighted to learn that Beth wasn't in the top two. Justice at last but then she shouldn't have even been in the final! Congrats to Ray and Hayley.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah! The best skier won. Sorry, the best singer won. Nope, the best reality tv star won. Ah, the best dancer won? What - he's got all bases covered?

Ray was the best tonight, but Hayley was a close second, followed by Beth, a close third. What?
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't watch tonight, better things to do so, delighted to learn that Beth wasn't in the top two. Justice at last but then she shouldn't have even been in the final! Congrats to Ray and Hayley.
    Those who voted for her will disagree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zelda fan wrote: »
    At least I can go to bed laughing.:D
  • -Felicity--Felicity- Posts: 4,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really did think Hayley was going to win, was absolutely ecstatic when Phil said Ray & Maria! Would've been a travesty if he didn't win.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of the top three, it finished in the right order. Beth shouldn't have been there in the first place if we're going on skating ability, but she had the public support, so good on her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Of the top three, it finished in the right order. Beth shouldn't have been there in the first place if we're going on skating ability, but she had the public support, so good on her.
    Are you seriously suggesting that Beth had no skating skills - did you actually listen to a word Christopher Dean said - did you actually watch solo week when the whole panel conceded that she was the contestant who relied most on her partner.

What Beth lacked in performance she made up for in skating skills.
    Hayley had the performance but her skating was almost non existent.

I'm tempted to say that on ability (or lack thereof) Hayley shouldn't have been there, but the final vote is in the hands of the public so whoever they elect to challenge for the title deserves to be there.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignazio wrote: »
    Are you seriously suggesting that Beth had no skating skills - did you actually listen to a word Christopher Dean said - did you actually watch solo week when the whole panel conceded that she was the contestant who relied most on her partner.

What Beth lacked in performance she made up for in skating skills.
    Hayley had the performance but her skating was almost non existent.

I'm tempted to say that on ability (or lack thereof) Hayley shouldn't have been there, but the final vote is in the hands of the public so whoever they elect to challenge for the title deserves to be there.
    Um, no. :confused: I'm suggesting that she wasn't the third best skater in the show. For me, Sam should have been in the final, not Beth, but he had very little public support, whereas Beth did. Are you seriously suggesting she was a better skater than Sam?
  • jeanojjeanoj Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The voting percentages say otherwise. However, I am pleased he won as he was by far the best skater in my opinion
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Um, no. :confused: I'm suggesting that she wasn't the third best skater in the show. For me, Sam should have been in the final, not Beth, but he had very little public support, whereas Beth did. Are you seriously suggesting she was a better skater than Sam?

The best skaters were Ray, Sam, Kyran and Suzanne. Ray of course should have made the final, and I think two of the others, but Beth and Hayley had the popularity and personality vote.

At least the public went for the best skater in the end :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    The best skaters were Ray, Sam, Kyran and Suzanne. Ray of course should have made the final, and I think two of the others, but Beth and Hayley had the popularity and personality vote.

At least the public went for the best skater in the end :)

No, the public who voted went for Ray for the most part. I suspect the majority of the viewers didn't even bother to vote. Come on, the show is over.

Ray really annoyed me - he looked like the smug kid at school who covered all bases. I imagined him training for months ahead of the show, then staying up all night every night trying to perfect himself. But he was the best skater on the night. Not that I know anything about skating, nor, I suspect, do most of the viewers. And one thing we don't like is being told who is best. Because we don't care, we just vote, when we vote, for who we like.

I didn't vote, but I would have voted for Beth, because I like her.
  • humpty dumptyhumpty dumpty Posts: 4,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sheikaman wrote: »
    I imagined him training for months ahead of the show, then staying up all night every night trying to perfect himself..

1 I doubt he stayed up all night, every night, as he wouldn't have put in such fabulous performances on such little sleep;-)

2 I agree that Ray is a hard worker, a perfectionist, someone who doesn't take things for granted and realises you have to put in the effort to get results. He wants to give his best. I don't understand why you consider this to be a negative thing though and something to dislike about him? He has a great work ethic and enthusiasm which is something to be proud of, and the fact he was liked best by the people who worked with him in the show, who described him as the most fun and easiest to deal with, shows that he was nice and easy to get along with as well.

3 It wasn't just hard work though, or 'being the judges pet'...Ray has a natural talent - it was a combination of his talent and work ethic that made for great performances. Shame you didn't like him though:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 I doubt he stayed up all night, every night, as he wouldn't have put in such fabulous performances on such little sleep;-)

2 I agree that Ray is a hard worker, a perfectionist, someone who doesn't take things for granted and realises you have to put in the effort to get results. He wants to give his best. I don't understand why you consider this to be a negative thing though and something to dislike about him? He has a great work ethic and enthusiasm which is something to be proud of, and the fact he was liked best by the people who worked with him in the show, who described him as the most fun and easiest to deal with, shows that he was nice and easy to get along with as well.

3 It wasn't just hard work though, or 'being the judges pet'...Ray has a natural talent - it was a combination of his talent and work ethic that made for great performances. Shame you didn't like him though:p

I know, I wanted to be able to like him but I couldn't. I don't know if it's the memory of him being in X Factor, his huge head, his scouse accent (yep, I know you shouldn't not like accents but I don't like that accent, they always seem to over play it) - I just don't know! When you don't take to somebody, you can't do much about it.

I agree that it's fine to work hard at something - but I've never liked it when somebody has moved heaven and earth just to be best at something. That's to do with me I suppose, not caring if I'm best or not. My attitude is try your best and be happy if you achieve.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,554
    Forum Member
    jeanoj wrote: »
    The voting percentages say otherwise. However, I am pleased he won as he was by far the best skater in my opinion

He might well have deserved to win in the end, but by the end he faced no real; competition. Beth had developed more than anyone , but still had not been given a great routine that could win for her. Hayley could get to second trotting out the best routine she was given 4 years ago - but she wasn't in the top 7 in skating skill, and she was barely in the top ten in her ability to do tricks or lifts. She could dance well - but then so could the 3 or 4 other females who could have danced her routines if anyone had let them. .

As a competition it failed at practically every level. The female competition was completely distorted - by twists removing potentially the two top contenders. The two most complete contenders to Ray in any male competion, didn't even turn up. The vote reflected recent air time on ITV - more than it did ice dancing skills - until the final itself.

The choregraphy failed to explore the potential of the best contestants - we never will know what the better people could have done with more imagination. Even Ray didn't expand his repertoire, while we never got to see what Beth, or Suzanne or Jorgie could have done. The choregraphy allocation determined the marks more than the difficulty most weeks, Some contenders did really well when they got a rare good routine, but lost momentum the next week when they got something else dull to do. Some only got a really good routine when they wrote it themselves, or used an old routine from a past series. The judging swung from identifying defects, and then throwing marks at the same defects, and awarding marks, or not, for enthusiasm. basic skating skills, and difficulty. Most of the time, it was marking the choregraphy, and, at one point, marking "chemistry", it was effectively marking T and D for keeping one couple together - at the expense of another contender.

The show story also collapsed. The VTs often created a different story to what the judges were saying and the contestants doing. The main narrative collapsed every time it was established. As soon as it became clear who was supposed to be in contention, improving, or fundamentally flawed, the routines, a twist, or the marking tore up the story - most catastrophically when they identified Ray's main contender for the third time only minutes before she went out to a twist. It was difficult to produce a more botched competition.
  • humpty dumptyhumpty dumpty Posts: 4,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sheikaman wrote: »
    I know, I wanted to be able to like him but I couldn't. I don't know if it's the memory of him being in X Factor, his huge head, his scouse accent (yep, I know you shouldn't not like accents but I don't like that accent, they always seem to over play it) - I just don't know! When you don't take to somebody, you can't do much about it.

I agree that it's fine to work hard at something - but I've never liked it when somebody has moved heaven and earth just to be best at something. That's to do with me I suppose, not caring if I'm best or not. My attitude is try your best and be happy if you achieve.

I think in this world theres room for all types and it would be dull if everyone was the same....however we need some people to be confident in their abilities and to have the enthusiasm and commitment to strive to be the best - and I'm glad Ray is like that as its what makes for great performances. I can't say I share the same attributes myself either, but I wouldn't mind a school report from one of my kids listing Rays attributes - my only worry would be if it caused arrogance or if they were so competitive it made them bad sports, and Ray is neither. Down to earth, good fun and friendly - and I don't even mind the Liverpool accent ;-) The west country accent is probably my least favourite, but I'd never be put off someone who had it:D

But I take your point, you can't really help who you take a shine to or who you don't. Suzanna Reid on Strictly Come Dancing was a hard worker and strived to be the best too....but I couldn't even bear to hear her speak:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think in this world theres room for all types and it would be dull if everyone was the same....however we need some people to be confident in their abilities and to have the enthusiasm and commitment to strive to be the best - and I'm glad Ray is like that as its what makes for great performances. I can't say I share the same attributes myself either, but I wouldn't mind a school report from one of my kids listing Rays attributes - my only worry would be if it caused arrogance or if they were so competitive it made them bad sports, and Ray is neither. Down to earth, good fun and friendly - and I don't even mind the Liverpool accent ;-) The west country accent is probably my least favourite, but I'd never be put off someone who had it:D

But I take your point, you can't really help who you take a shine to or who you don't. Suzanna Reid on Strictly Come Dancing was a hard worker and strived to be the best too....but I couldn't even bear to hear her speak:D

You see!! I love her. And I hate the Birmingham accent. Also many of those in Scotland. But I try not to because I want to be politically correct in every which way. People would probably hate my accent, which is all Southerner and posh.

I like it when my kids get bad school reports, in terms of, I want them to be individuals who don't conform to society's narrow perspectives. I want them to be loveable, easy going, confident and assertive all at the same time and they are. They are all incredibly intelligent and gifted and for that I thank, not the ability to push themselves beyond limit, but the ability to do what they want, when they want, and feel good about it.

I don't know what Ray is like as a person, or any of them, because I only know their PR hype. Willie Carson comes across as adorable but I've met him and believe me, he's an arrogant so and so. Whereas Bernard Manning, by all accounts, was a loveable teddy bear. Seriously.
  • JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    it would have been ridiculos if Ray didn't win as he was in another league of skating on his own and no one was going to catch him, I think Suzanne should have been in the final