Eurovision 2014 Betting Odds

Comments

• thaliafanthaliafan Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Armenia certainly won't get any votes from the UK. But Eastern Europe will be all over it.

Norway will get a lot of points from the UK. But Eastern Europe will hate it.

I think this will be one of the most open contests ever.

My money is on Hungary!
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    I think Norway could do very well its a different kinda ballad
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    If we even get top 10 I shall eat my hat.
    The song is coma inducing, even Bonnie's song last year was better.

Come on now seriously how can you say its boring, its an upotempo track >:(
  • nunaneynunaney Posts: 1,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thaliafan wrote: »
    My money is on Hungary!

Same here. I don't think it will get the most 12s but I can see it getting a decent amount of points from most of the countries and in a year that could be very close, that might be all it needs to win.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member

Full house on the "hyperbolic ways of describing my dislike of something" bingo cards, folks.
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the odd for Belgium? I actually like this song so much :eek:
  • MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    chrono88 wrote: »
    What's the odd for Belgium? I actually like this song so much :eek:

Belgium's 5th favourite, 9/1. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not bad. For once Belgium's made a good decision. Hope they can keep the momentum
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Belgium's price is a totally ridiculous overreaction by the market. In what world can people possibly expect juries and televoters to prefer a tuneless dirge like that over the likes of the UK and Hungary? It simply isn't going to happen.
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With almost all the songs revealed now, the market is a bit all over the place but I can see it settling a bit soon.

There are basically 11 countries who have odds which suggest they are in possible striking distance of winning

Armenia
    Norway
    Sweden
    Belgium
    Azerbaijan
    Hungary
    Denmark
    UK
    Ukraine
    Russia
    Romania

Of those 11 I believe some of the good odds are mainly just from the song being recently revealed or past form. Therefore I would rule out a win for:

Russia
    Ukraine
    Belgium
    Azerbaijan
    Romania

In such an open year I can see any of the following winning and expect their odds to tighten up a lot in the next few weeks, especially Hungary and the UK.

Armenia
    Norway
    Sweden
    Hungary
    Denmark
    UK

So we will either be staying in Scandinavia with a recent winner, a shock win for the UK or a first win for Armenia or Hungary. Can not see anything outside of one of these scenarios happening.
  • Alan_ColeAlan_Cole Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the moment, the betting is all over the place and it wont become clear who the real favourites are until the rehearsals begin. Without knowing each countries place in the draw, how they perform live, the correct staging and lighting, and how they come across on stage, the audience reaction, nerves kicking in, ect...until then, there's no point in checking the odds..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan_Cole wrote: »
    At the moment, the betting is all over the place and it wont become clear who the real favourites are until the rehearsals begin. Without knowing each countries place in the draw, how they perform live, the correct staging and lighting, and how they come across on stage, the audience reaction, nerves kicking in, ect...until then, there's no point in checking the odds..

Finally we have a year like this. I love this.
  • rr22rr22 Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    I went in feet first with Norway as I thought it odds were gonna go down but I really hope I've not made a silly gamble on him I love the song but its a close race this year.

I have to say I think its the best song but will Europe agree!
  • FiercefanaticFiercefanatic Posts: 3,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon UK would be a good bet at the moment.

With the right staging she could be a winner.
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrono88 wrote: »
    Finally we have a year like this. I love this.
    Yeah, it's nice to have an open year, but I think what Alan_Cole said applies more or less to every year :)
  • Pdm1987Pdm1987 Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigBmad wrote: »
    With almost all the songs revealed now, the market is a bit all over the place but I can see it settling a bit soon.

There are basically 11 countries who have odds which suggest they are in possible striking distance of winning

Armenia
    Norway
    Sweden
    Belgium
    Azerbaijan
    Hungary
    Denmark
    UK
    Ukraine
    Russia
    Romania

Of those 11 I believe some of the good odds are mainly just from the song being recently revealed or past form. Therefore I would rule out a win for:

Russia
    Ukraine
    Belgium
    Azerbaijan
    Romania

In such an open year I can see any of the following winning and expect their odds to tighten up a lot in the next few weeks, especially Hungary and the UK.

Armenia
    Norway
    Sweden
    Hungary
    Denmark
    UK

So we will either be staying in Scandinavia with a recent winner, a shock win for the UK or a first win for Armenia or Hungary. Can not see anything outside of one of these scenarios happening.

I'm with you on this!
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is Belgium 5th favourite? are people really heavily backing it?
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    Why is Belgium 5th favourite? are people really heavily backing it?

I think they're going for the Central European mother vote, with it being Mother's Day there on Eurovision weekend n all...

My bets are now places, I wish I'd waited for my only FTW bet (Hungary) as it's odds have significantly drifted now :(

Hungary FTW @ 9/1
    Estonia e/w @ 66/1
    Austria e/w @ 50/1
    Malta e/w @ 100/1

If those songs end up top 4, I'll buy you lunch :D
  • Gunner95Gunner95 Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see Armenia win. The seethe out of Azerbaijan would be pleasing.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How would you like your hat served?
  • xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    Armenia starting to drift out a bit now, losing their odds on status.

Sweden shortening for some daft reason, does anyone really think they'll win? :confused: Norway and the UK making progress as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xeo wrote: »
    Armenia starting to drift out a bit now, losing their odds on status.

Sweden shortening for some daft reason, does anyone really think they'll win? :confused: Norway and the UK making progress as well.

I think Sweden has a real chance. The "undo my sad" sections of the song do sound pretty good, and I think a lot of casual viewers will like it. I used to love Sweden, but now it drives me nuts :D
  • xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    I think Sweden has a real chance. The "undo my sad" sections of the song do sound pretty good, and I think a lot of casual viewers will like it. I used to love Sweden, but now it drives me nuts :D

I used to like it but I've really begun to grow a hatred for it now! I just can't see it making enough of an impression on the night and I sure hope I'm correct :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xeo wrote: »
    I used to like it but I've really begun to grow a hatred for it now! I just can't see it making enough of an impression on the night and I sure hope I'm correct :o

As long as Hungary doesn't get the casual vote, I'm happy.
  • ollie1004ollie1004 Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where are we now with the bookies?