Options

Another question for the religious

Comments

• Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ulsterguy wrote: »
    Yes. I'd love us to be in the 'Star Trek' era, where all religion is regarded as a myth.

No it isn't. Some people see it as myth, others are religious and their customers are still observed and respected. In the episode Data's Day, it is stated that there will be a celebration of the Hindu Festival of Light taking place on the ship that day. Get your facts right man. >:(
  • Options
    archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've heard of dog years, right? Well, hamster years are similar but shorter.

You 'atheist' types really don't know anything about anything, do you?:p:D
    There were lots of donkeys about in those days. Perhaps peoples age was measured in donkey's years. :)
  • Options
    primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    I'm still waiting for an answer - was Noah 950 when he died? If his age has been wrongly translated, what else has?
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    I vaguely remember the answer to be that a few pages on in the book, mankind did something to really hack God off, so He limited us to our "three score years plus ten".

yes indeed. this is the correct answer, according to the paradigm. the fall. he (god that is) created adam and eve with the potential to live forever, but they were naughty so he made things a bit more difficult for them and their descendants. i think, stuff like making it hard to grow crops so they got worn out and malnourished, air purity diminished, pollutants appeared etc. it took a few generations for it to show but lifespans in the bible gradually get shorter and shorter from the fall. Not quickly enough though, which is also why he had to send the flood. the perils of being immortal is you can misjudge things. after which it was just down hill
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Surely there is no need to squabble over Noah's Age. I would assume most religious people regard the Bible's statement on his age as as fanciful as non-believers do.

well i am an atheist but i do like to be informed about what i don't believe in.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    No it isn't. Some people see it as myth, others are religious and their customers are still observed and respected. In the episode Data's Day, it is stated that there will be a celebration of the Hindu Festival of Light taking place on the ship that day. Get your facts right man. >:(

The Next Generation! Just a PC sell out. :D
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    archiver wrote: »
    There were lots of donkeys about in those days. Perhaps peoples age was measured in donkey's years. :)

Also, don't forget that unicorns were still around. Maybe they were, like, really short-lived and people used unicorn years to measure Noah's age.

The OP is failing to think outside the box here.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usual response. Attack the question rather than answer it. I know the bible is fiction, I'm wondering what those who think its true have to say.

So why not post on a believers board, or go down to your local fundamentalist church and ask there?
    I can't think of any literalists posting here.
    NB - sorry to see you are still obsessed. :(
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    archiver wrote: »

You can certainly measure some of these religion-bashing threads in donkeys' years - some of them seem interminable.:D
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, don't forget that unicorns were still around. Maybe they were, like, really short-lived and people used unicorn years to measure Noah's age.

The OP is failing to think outside the box here.

My unicorn is alive and kicking thank you! >:(
  • Options
    UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »

In the Wrath of Khan Bones says that in Earth mythology it was created in 7 days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    The Next Generation! Just a PC sell out. :D

:p

Certainly was PC compared to DS9, which had plenty religion (mostly Bajoran, but also signs that some humans are still religious). Of course, other races were also very religious but it didn't seem to stop them from going out into space either.

Even in the original series there were several occasions which pointed to human religion still being alive and well...despite Roddenberry being fiercely atheist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_abxeBWrSUQ

Picard's take on religion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    So why not post on a believers board, or go down to your local fundamentalist church and ask there?
    I can't think of any literalists posting here.
    NB - sorry to see you are still obsessed. :(

i don't see why its a problem. as far as i can tell, most people on this forum think things were better in the 'olden days' if the number of threads about how great it was to drive around without a seatbelt and have baths in a coal scuttle (whatever one of those is) in the 70s are anything to go by. its just an extreme version of that.
  • Options
    mcg3mcg3 Posts: 11,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    primer wrote: »
    yes indeed. this is the correct answer, according to the paradigm. the fall. he (god that is) created adam and eve with the potential to live forever, but they were naughty so he made things a bit more difficult for them and their descendants. i think, stuff like making it hard to grow crops so they got worn out and malnourished, air purity diminished, pollutants appeared etc. it took a few generations for it to show but lifespans in the bible gradually get shorter and shorter from the fall. Not quickly enough though, which is also why he had to send the flood. the perils of being immortal is you can misjudge things. after which it was just down hill

well i am an atheist but i do like to be informed about what i don't believe in.

So basically then it was the loving God who decided to bestow so much hardship upon the human race for his own enjoyment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mcg3 wrote: »
    So basically then it was the loving God who decided to bestow so much hardship upon the human race for his own enjoyment.

i don't think he was very loving in the creation/ old testament days. lots of plagues and incest as i recall. he only went soft after gentle jesus meek and mild reconstituted religion and was appropriated for the new age version for, er, more enlightened times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Which is why I specifically wrote that some people treat it as myth and others don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i don't think he was very loving in the creation/ old testament days. lots of plagues and incest as i recall. he only went soft after gentle jesus meek and mild reconstituted religion and was appropriated for the new age version for, er, more enlightened times.

Ah yes those enlightened times when miracles actually did happen but for some strange reason cant/dont happen now.

Such as living to be 950.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah yes those enlightened times when miracles actually did happen but for some strange reason cant/dont happen now.

you're not paying attention... >:(

living to 950 was old testament, not new. it was also not a miracle. it was routine. because things were better in the olden days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ahh religion. Changing the story to suit the times. Like the bible. Was 100% true until science came along, now it's getting increasingly just allegory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you're not paying attention... >:(

living to 950 was old testament, not new. it was also not a miracle. it was routine. because things were better in the olden days.

:blush: Must brush up on those fiction books.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Changing the story to suit the times. Like the bible. Was 100% true until science came along,

sin.

not science.

100% true til sin came along and god decided to make things a bit more difficult.

science also made things more difficult though, now that you mention it, because life expectancy, average height, nutritional quality etc all went down after the industrial revolution, the first time that things went backward. well, since the fall anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh religion. Changing the story to suit the times. Like the bible. Was 100% true until science came along, now it's getting increasingly just allegory.

Bah that pesky science its just made up nonsense anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :blush: Must brush up on those fiction books.

old testament is fab for a good disaster story and quite a few extremely punitive morality tales. not forgetting the monsters of course. they are quite good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sin.

not science.

100% true til sin came along and god decided to make things a bit more difficult.

science also made things more difficult though, now that you mention it, because life expectancy, average height, nutritional quality etc all went down after the industrial revolution, the first time that things went backward. well, since the fall anyway.

Backward? In what way? And what fall?
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    Chemistry is useful, religion only holds us back.

I'm still waiting for an answer - was Noah 950 when he died? If his age has been wrongly translated, what else has?

Yes he was 950 years old. New what?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Backward? In what way? And what fall?

what fall? THE fall. you know, the one involving the snake, the apple and the previously- intended- to- be- immortals. the subject of this discussion. you started it i believe...

as for the rest of it, i can't give you history lessons as well as religious instruction.