If Bruce was to leave - who would you like to replace him?

Comments

• MJ333MJ333 Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zoe Ball and Graham Norton.
  • gazmatgazmat Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    My sources tell me it's a done deal already: Michael MacIntyre.
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gazmat wrote: »

And my sources tell me the deal has been done with Lenny Henry ..
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,368
    Forum Member
    Venetian wrote: »
    And my sources tell me the deal has been done with Lenny Henry ..

Please, no. :o

Surely it needs to be someone who has some knowledge of musical theatre or dance?

I can hear the 'Bring back Bruce' cries already. :(
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister has just come up with a great idea.

Get worldwide SCD presenters to come to the BBC and present for one week only.

Nice idea for the transition.

Gives the beeb twelve months to come up with th right person.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    My sister has just come up with a great idea.

Get worldwide SCD presenters to come to the BBC and present for one week only.

Nice idea for the transition.

Gives the beeb twelve months to come up with th right person.

Not sure the Unions would wear that one !
    Tom Bergeron (USA) would probably be OK as a "job swap" deal with Len & Bruno as judges.

List is limited to whom is available and has the right experience.

Remember, Strictly is LIVE. Not many other shows are, so mistakes can be covered and you get several tries.
    Things have gone wrong on Strictly, and to be fair, Bruce has helped out with wardrobe malfunctions etc on the set.

The likely list for me is
    Graham Norton
    Chris Evans
    Aled Jones

All are available to the BBC, and have "big show" and Live TV hosting experience.

Wild Cards:
    Lenny Henry
    Tom Bergeron

There will be no-one "new" or untried getting this gig !!!
  • myla5trolomyla5trolo Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelts wrote: »
    Louis Spence..........just kidding!
    Ian Waite
    Maybe Len
    and get a new judge

Throw Matthew Cutler in the mix to either support Tess or judge. I think he'd add a whole softer dynamic to the judging panel.
    Rather like the idea of Len hosting with Tess
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the list in the report about Bruce, Steve Jones was mentioned. I think he could be better than most other suggestions. IMHO.

it's another name in the hat.
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    I notice that despite the hostility expressed by most here to the notion of either Claudia or Anton hosting, these are the two who are topping all of the on-line polls I have skimmed through this morning (and there are a lot!) Claudia is DS own favourite but Anton seems to top in most, often by a big margin, over the usual suspects like Tess, Norton, Barrowman etc. Personally, I am just delighted that Bruce has called it a day and I won't have to fast forward through bits any more on iPlayer and can go back to watching live. I'd be very happy to see Claudia and Anton as joint hosts. They are both comfortable with live tv, real lovers of the show with genuine knowledge and brand identity. I think Claudia has the wit and wisdom to keep Anton in check.
  • sheltsshelts Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like Brian Conley too or Bradley Walsh but if that's not to be lets have them as contestants, I reckon Chris Evans because his was the first interview/reaction on the BBC news, quite random, but it would not surprise me!
  • sheltsshelts Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    myla5trolo wrote: »
    Throw Matthew Cutler in the mix to either support Tess or judge. I think he'd add a whole softer dynamic to the judging panel.
    Rather like the idea of Len hosting with Tess

I don't think Len would have too much of a problem with Bruce doing the specials either, Ian Waite/Matthew Cutler/ Karen Hardy or Erin Bog as replacement judge, plenty of pros to pick from, is Len giving up DWTS? I thought I heard that,so it wouldn't be a stretch
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Need someone with presenting and dancing experience.

Now who was that nice girl on last season? With that bloke from Grimsby ... Lovely Paso Doble.

She's gone to ITV? WTF!
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member

That cock? He would ruin it.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member

I like MM, however he has no experience of hosting a gameshow format, and has not hosted a major Live entertainment show.

Replacing "slick" Bruce with "genial but bumbling" Larry Grayson on the Generation game was a risk that paid off, but the Gen game was recorded so anything completely catastrophic could be lost in editing
  • nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian Waite - and Zoe Ball or Claudia. Give us a rest from Tess. It would refresh the format.

I would be quite happy with Ian and Zoe :)
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MSN have a poll on at the moment of who to replace Bruce - most of the names that have been mentioned. So far out of 23,000 votes Anton is leading with 25% and John Barrowman has 18%.
  • CamisCamis Posts: 13,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Need someone with presenting and dancing experience.

Now who was that nice girl on last season? With that bloke from Grimsby ... Lovely Paso Doble.

She's gone to ITV? WTF!

BIB - thank goodness for that! Could not put up with her presenting the show.
  • nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With DOI now over, maybe Paul Schofield has a shot
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A new host probably wouldn't take kindly to being sidelined by Brucie for the Xmas and other specials, so I think the BBC will stick with Claudia and Tess unless one or the other has a baby during the series.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depending on the replacement it might present a good time to stop watching. After all, it's the same thing year in, year out.
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    natalian wrote: »
    With DOI now over, maybe Paul Schofield has a shot

He's dead many years ago. Even Pip Schofe wouldn't be available, as he's Mr ITV lock stock and 2 smoking barrels.
  • sueh21sueh21 Posts: 2,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bet there's a lot of agents on phones earning their keep at the moment. Primetime Saturday night telly,doesn't get much bigger.
    Chris Evans could be a good bet,fan of the show, used to live telly. As long as its not Vernon Kay or Miss funnity fun fun ,I'm not too fussed.
  • SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    Graham Norton would get my vote, not keen on Anton but as long as Claudia W and John B are ruled out... I will be happy.....
  • marobbymarobby Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Will Young
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Why does the host have to have a knowledge of dancing or musical theatre as has been stated various times?

As far as I am aware none of the international hosts is a dancer/ musical theatre star - and they manage perfectly well and in all cases they have done so much better than Bruce ever did. His "knowledge" of ballroom dancing is no better than any member of Joe Public - - he was a tap dancer/ hoofer in variety shows and apart from being of an age where people actually danced waltzes etc socially, he has little (if any) formal knowledge of Ballroom and latin dance.

Likewise there is no need for the host to be a comedian.... a sense of humour and a quick wit is needed - but there is no need for the shoehorned in asinine "jokes" Brucie insisted on giving us each week. The peerless Tom Bergeron of DWTS does a wonderful job without stupid and unecessary jokes and silly shuffles - he just gets the couples on and off the floor, keeps the judges under control and generally moves the show along and keeping it to time in a professional and entertaining manner!

We have plenty of capable presenters of live TV here in the UK - all of them used to wearing earpieces and keeping the shows to time Matt Baker/ Gethin Jones/ Alex Jones/ Vernon Kay (who has presented the US version of Dancing on ice!)/ Steve Jones/ Graham Norton/ Chris Evans/ Johnny Vaughan/ Denise Van Outen/ Chris Hollins/ Susanna Reid/ Chris Evans etc - some of whom have even appeared on/ got to the final stages of SCD.... one of them would be more than capable of taking over, most without the ego of Bruce - and presumably without the over inflated £500K pay packet Bruce had!