Plusnet. Very unimpressed.

AKWAKW Posts: 1,050
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Moved over to Plusnet last Friday from Virgin in an attempt to save a few bob a month, totally regret my decision. Internet still not working and now there is a fault on the telephone service. Many calls to Plusnet made since Saturday morning. They are very nice people and seem to care but unable to sort anything out, everything will be dealt with tomorrow, its all the fault of their supplier, they will get back to me, etc etc.

If its the fault of their supplier why don't they make sure the terms and conditions with them have good KPI's; why wait until tomorrow to do something, getting back to me is all very good but I would prefer action.

Contacting Virgin tomorrow to try and negotiate a return.

Very disappointed.

Comments

• Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Hope it works out better for me as I'm going over to PlusNet unlimited fibre this coming Friday.

But it must be remembered that whilst your contract is with PlusNet and it is them who should listen to your complaints and take action to get them fixed, they are only an Internet reseller like anyone else. (Yes they are connected to BT but that doesn't mean anything). So PlusNet like everyone else is at the mercy of Openreach. They send them to do a good job and to fix your problems, but if they don't, all they can do is send another Openreach engineer and help that they can fix it.

PlusNet can't and are not allowed to fix anything themselves regarding the actual physical connection to your house. That's exclusively BT Openreach's domain.

In a way I feel sorry for them: We (me included) phone up some poor teenager at a call centre and bend their ears off and their is no magic button they can press that fixes anything. All they can do is send an Openreach Engineer and I'm sure they really hope they fix the problem. That is good for their business.
  • Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My two pennies worth here. I had Plusnet fibre installed nearly 18 months ago. Rung them to arrange installation. Working as a cleaner at a school split shifts, I wanted to get a Christmas holiday installation (so I had called about a month and half before hand). Engineer turned up on time, and it took about an hour.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AKW wrote: »
    Moved over to Plusnet last Friday from Virgin in an attempt to save a few bob a month, totally regret my decision. Internet still not working and now there is a fault on the telephone service. Many calls to Plusnet made since Saturday morning. They are very nice people and seem to care but unable to sort anything out, everything will be dealt with tomorrow, its all the fault of their supplier, they will get back to me, etc etc.

If its the fault of their supplier why don't they make sure the terms and conditions with them have good KPI's; why wait until tomorrow to do something, getting back to me is all very good but I would prefer action.

Very disappointed.

the supplier is Openreach, just like it is with every other ISP that uses telephone line for delivery.

Openreach have the same terms for every ISP.
    only emergencies will get dealt with on the same day, and your issue is not an emergency.

faults take precedence over new installs, so you are already as high a priority as you can be.
  • AKWAKW Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very disappointed.

Came home from work to find phone working, about half an hour later had text to saying broadband activated. Better situation than I had expected!
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last October I moved from BT to Plusnet and when I first got FTTC installed the engineer botched up the installation. Phone was working, broadband wasn't. It took Plusnet another two weeks to get somebody from Openreach out to fix.

Once it was fixed it took another day to get the Internet working properly as it should be. I give credit to Plusnet even though it wasn't there fault and they were as helpful as possible they did credit my account with 2 free months of broadband, phone line and calls package and I have had no problems since, except when the exchange I'm connected to is getting congested on a night time and my speed drops from 78 meg download down to 1 meg download....
  • White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very disappointed.

Plusnet use the BT network - who are their supplier (and also their parent company - I understand they're a subsidiary of BT), and so all engineering work has to be requested from BT. Basically, aside from the fact that I believe they don't have their own engineers, no-one is allowed to touch the BT network. Companies that are unbundled can service their own equipment in the exchange but can't touch the network in the exchange or any of the cabling etc anywhere on the network. So for every company, a network issue requires a BT engineer. I understand that's the same for every company using the BT network which is basically any broadband company other than cable or satellite delivered services. So it doesn't matter who you go with, fault on the BT network = wait for BT engineer.

Virgin is different obviously because they have their own cabling to the door..

As to renegotiating a deal with Virgin, I doubt Plusnet will let you out of the contract so you're stuck there for that long at least unless you're prepared to pay the full contracts term worth of line rental / fees.

Plusnet are actually one of the best out there for service, behind only BT. Many other broadband providers use Asian call centres full of people who can barely speak / understand English and who are reading from computer based diagnosis scripts. At least with Plusnet you get people in the UK who know what they're talking about rather than asking pointless questions that are the same every time you call up.

Usually if you're phone / broadband isn't working, Plusnet will pay you compensation for the days that it's down.

Plusnet tend to be very helpful, but as I said above, as for every provider, if there's an exchange or network fault, you have to wait for BT engineers. There's no way around that.
  • stargirl 2stargirl 2 Posts: 2,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im already with plusnet have been for years absolutely no probs whatsoever. im currently with bt for line rental though and thinking of switching it to plusnet too. rang plusnet up, said they will do everyhting for me and it will be all straightforward with a possiblity of a couple of hours down time to do the switchover.

ps reason bt line rental and call charges have gone up again, hope it all goes as smoothly they say.

im paying upfront line rental for a year so save extra money on that too.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Apart from an ordering nightmare, the actual fibre install went easily*

*Well, I installed 95% of it myself (Wall mounting everything and connecting it all with high spec cables of very short lengths. (0.5m)) the installer just changed the faceplate and went off to do the cabinet bit, whilst I wall mounted the BT modem. He came back and tested it all.

All working more than fine in the 2 hours that I have had it.
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been with plusnet for several months now and have just upgraded to unlimited bb ( no contract) with no problems so far!! £14.99 per month, its not fibre bb but very good nevertheless!!
  • AKWAKW Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The broadband was connected eventually with a speed of 600k, not the 5M with a range of 3M to 7M contracted. Waited for two weeks for the circuit to stabilise, still 600k with the odd session at about 700k. Contacted them, tried a new filter, disconnected everything save the modem, waited a week for them to investigate and after contacting them (they never contacted me as agreed) was told there was no fault but they were revising my contracted sped to 1M with a range of 500k to 1.5M.

Many phone calls later Plusnet have agreed to allow me to terminate and go back to Virgin.

My experience

Customer service 10%
    Equipment supplied 20%
    Price 80%
    Broadband service 1%

I would not recommend them, I can accept technical difficulties but not when combined with poor customer service.