Options

Ofcom commences review of the wholesale must-offer on Sky Sports 1 and 2

1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Extracts from Ofcom press release:

Ofcom has today outlined plans to review the ‘wholesale must-offer’ obligation placed on BSkyB in relation to its Sky Sports 1 and 2 channels.

As part of the Pay TV Review Statement of March 2010, Ofcom committed to review the wholesale must-offer remedy it placed on BSkyB. Following the February 2014 decision by the Court of Appeal confirming Ofcom’s power to impose the wholesale must-offer, Ofcom will now undertake a review of the obligation. We note that the Supreme Court is considering an application from Sky for permission to appeal the Court of Appeal’s judgment.

Ofcom is separately considering a complaint from BT under the Competition Act 1998 which alleges that Sky has abused a dominant position in relation to negotiations over the supply of Sky Sports 1 and 2 for BT’s YouView platform.

See http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/reviews-investigations/pay-tv/pay-tv-wholesale/

Comments

• Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,952
    Forum Member
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    Extracts from Ofcom press release:

Ofcom has today outlined plans to review the ‘wholesale must-offer’ obligation placed on BSkyB in relation to its Sky Sports 1 and 2 channels.

As part of the Pay TV Review Statement of March 2010, Ofcom committed to review the wholesale must-offer remedy it placed on BSkyB. Following the February 2014 decision by the Court of Appeal confirming Ofcom’s power to impose the wholesale must-offer, Ofcom will now undertake a review of the obligation. We note that the Supreme Court is considering an application from Sky for permission to appeal the Court of Appeal’s judgment.

Ofcom is separately considering a complaint from BT under the Competition Act 1998 which alleges that Sky has abused a dominant position in relation to negotiations over the supply of Sky Sports 1 and 2 for BT’s YouView platform.

See http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/reviews-investigations/pay-tv/pay-tv-wholesale/

The gift that keeps on giving...:D
  • Options
    Jameseh.Jameseh. Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Even if BT win, I'd imagine Sky would just appeal on the ground they will offer it through Now TV or something similar, I'm sure the 'technical issues' that prevent it at the minute would suddenly disappear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jameseh. wrote: »
    Even if BT win, I'd imagine Sky would just appeal on the ground they will offer it through Now TV or something similar, I'm sure the 'technical issues' that prevent it at the minute would suddenly disappear.
    Sky offering it via Now TV even live on YouView would not be grounds for not allowing BT to wholesale the channels.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    It could be argued that BT's basis for appeal, that of Sky's domination of sport, is less strong given the hold BT's own dominant holding over European football from 2015.

Stew
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stewM wrote: »
    It could be argued that BT's basis for appeal, that of Sky's domination of sport, is less strong given the hold BT's own dominant holding over European football from 2015.

Stew

I'm sure that's the kind of argument that Sky will be using.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's funny how BT squeals like a stuffed pig about Sky abusing its dominant position in relation to Sky Sports yet squeals from the opposite viewpoint when anyone accuses it of abusing its dominant position in Broadband. :D

Pot and kettle arguments all the time...
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No surprise here - when OFCOM introduced the "wholesale must offer" obligation in 2010 it said it would undertake a review after 3 years in 2013.

In fact, it's left it 4 years - presumably because of the ongoing case at the Competition Appeal Tribunal and the ongoing legal action at the Court of Appeal.

Of course it's somewhat comical to think that nothing that has happened at the Competition Appeal Tribunal or the Court of Appeal during those 4 years has actually had any practical impact at all - the "wholesale must offer" obligation came into effect in 2010 and has remained in effect ever since.

The only slight twist is that (as agreed right at the start at the CAT in 2010) VM, BT etc are continuing to pay the Sky rate card wholesale price, with Sky only receiving the OFCOM regulated wholesale price and the difference going into an Escrow account. But the amount of money at stake there is actually quite small - from memory approx 18 months ago the total in the Escrow account was a bit under £30m.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    It is about time these two school playground kids both sat down and agreed a way forward instead of keep running off to teacher.
    Just think of the money spent in legal fees!
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The next PL rights auction is likely to be fundamental to what happens with the "wholesale must offer" obligation going forward - that is expected later this year so I wouldn't be surprised if OFCOM does not complete its review until after that.

However OFCOM reviews often take quite some time and there will be a lot of work for them to do reviewing the current position - so it makes sense for them to start now and get all the groundwork done.

If the PL auction then materially changes the current position they can then reflect that in their final decision.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course they should be obliged to sell it to other platforms. Content creators and platform operators should be kept separate anyway to avoid this kind of nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    It's funny how BT squeals like a stuffed pig about Sky abusing its dominant position in relation to Sky Sports yet squeals from the opposite viewpoint when anyone accuses it of abusing its dominant position in Broadband. :D

Don't really understand why it's funny. Sky defends its commercial interests as does BT. You would expect each company to act like this in order to maximise their profits. They're not gunning for sainthoods!
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant see why Sky and BT cant do a deal that would Sky offering BT its Sports 1 and 2 channels in exchange for BT offering Sky its BT Sports 1 and 2 channels!

In fact if Sky has to do a wholesale must offer on its Sports 1 and 2 on all platforms BT should be forced to do the same wholesale must offer thing with its 1 and 2 sports channels and in HD ether way too!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't really understand why it's funny. Sky defends its commercial interests as does BT. You would expect each company to act like this in order to maximise their profits. They're not gunning for sainthoods!

You may need to develop a sense of humour then ;-)

I was simply making the perfectly valid point that BT are acting somewhat hypocritically by complaining about Sky's dominant position in one area in which they compete whilst defending its own dominant position against Sky (and others) in another using the reverse argument. For the record Sky does exactly the same - I wasn't taking sides. I'm not naïve so I'm not surprised that companies act like this. That's why we have regulators.

However it is fair to point out when a company is acting in a two faced sort of way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I cant see why Sky and BT cant do a deal that would Sky offering BT its Sports 1 and 2 channels in exchange for BT offering Sky its BT Sports 1 and 2 channels!

In fact if Sky has to do a wholesale must offer on its Sports 1 and 2 on all platforms BT should be forced to do the same wholesale must offer thing with its 1 and 2 sports channels and in HD ether way too!

That idea smacks too much of common sense :D

Also works dangerously in favour of the consumer...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That idea smacks too much of common sense :D

Also works dangerously in favour of the consumer...

and why should that bother Ofcom so much? I thought they were supposed to help the consumer?

Are they only out to help BT by forcing the wholesale of Sky sports 1 and 2? if so they are not being very competitive are they?
    Is it time for a new fairer regulator?
  • Options
    tintin Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Except that BT are hamstrung with must offer type regulation all over the place. Where did openreach come from?

Split content and platform - for everyone - it has to be done or this will go on forever.
  • Options
    BrianWescombeBrianWescombe Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stewM wrote: »
    It is about time these two school playground kids both sat down and agreed a way forward instead of keep running off to teacher.
    Just think of the money spent in legal fees!

if you can't beat them, sue them. Seems to be working for Apple...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and why should that bother Ofcom so much? I thought they were supposed to help the consumer?

Are they only out to help BT by forcing the wholesale of Sky sports 1 and 2? if so they are not being very competitive are they?
    Is it time for a new fairer regulator?
    If you revisit the original post, you will see that the obligation for Sky to wholesale Sky Sports 1 & 2 is being reviewed this year.
    If BT obtains most Premiership rights then who knows, BT may have to wholesale BT Sport 1 & 2.
    The obligation was imposed because Sky is the dominant sports rights owner and dominant pay TV paltform. Just because another company starts a TV platform and sets up a sports channel does not mean that it meets the wholesaling obligations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tin wrote: »
    Split content and platform - for everyone - it has to be done or this will go on forever.
    I think that could have been done in the past but may be harder now as the boundaries as to what a platform is have blurred. Are Now TV and Netflix platforms? What's the difference between Sky selling series episodes on smart phones and BBC Worldwide or ITV?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only! Trouble is the whole reason for BT funding BT Sport is to get and keep broadband customers. Allowing Sky to wholesale BT Sport would remove a key reason for signing up to BT broadband. There would then be no reason for BT to run its loss-making BT Sport channels which would presumably be closed down. Sky would continue to dominate pay-sports and would get an even larger share of the broadband market.
    You could argue that beINSport may step in to the gap and offer great coverage on all platforms. But that company is dependent on subsidy from the Qatar government which cannot be certain in the long term.
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Personally I think it should be extended to Sky Sports 3/4/News/F1 and it's HD variants as well.
  • Options
    stato77stato77 Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you can't beat them, sue them. Seems to be working for Apple...

Nobody is beating Apple though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If only! Trouble is the whole reason for BT funding BT Sport is to get and keep broadband customers. Allowing Sky to wholesale BT Sport would remove a key reason for signing up to BT broadband. There would then be no reason for BT to run its loss-making BT Sport channels which would presumably be closed down. Sky would continue to dominate pay-sports and would get an even larger share of the broadband market.
    You could argue that beINSport may step in to the gap and offer great coverage on all platforms. But that company is dependent on subsidy from the Qatar government which cannot be certain in the long term.

By the same token there is a need to ensure a level playing field. The difference with the BT/Sky scenario is that both run platforms and have pay sport channels whereas BT's predecessors were channel only operations and the other platforms don't have competing channels.

Just as allowing Sky to wholesale BT Sport might have the affect you say, by the same token Sky may have valid concerns that if BT had access to Sky Sports for You View they would offer it in such a way (and they have the financial resources to afford to do so) as to damage Sky's own business model - offering at a significant discount as against the wholesale price or whatever.

As you mentioned earlier both are defending their own commercial interests. At the very least I think there may need to be rules against predatory pricing tactics eg if there is a must offer requirement you can't offer the channels to your own customers at less than the wholesale price or less than the wholesale price plus x%.

I think they should also be allowed to offer their own channels directly to the other's customers (as BT do now) on the other's platform on whatever basis they want. That might deal with the concern you raise as you would still be able to watch BT Sport on Sky - either at a lower cost tied to BT Broadband (as I do) or as part of your normal Sky subscription (without BT Broadband but at a higher price).

I also think that if BT want to be able to wholesale Sky Sports the same should apply in return. They are a significant competitor and shouldn't be able to have it both ways.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the same token there is a need to ensure a level playing field. The difference with the BT/Sky scenario is that both run platforms and have pay sport channels whereas BT's predecessors were channel only operations and the other platforms don't have competing channels.

Just as allowing Sky to wholesale BT Sport might have the affect you say, by the same token Sky may have valid concerns that if BT had access to Sky Sports for You View they would offer it in such a way (and they have the financial resources to afford to do so) as to damage Sky's own business model - offering at a significant discount as against the wholesale price or whatever.

As you mentioned earlier both are defending their own commercial interests. At the very least I think there may need to be rules against predatory pricing tactics eg if there is a must offer requirement you can't offer the channels to your own customers at less than the wholesale price or less than the wholesale price plus x%.

I think they should also be allowed to offer their own channels directly to the other's customers (as BT do now) on the other's platform on whatever basis they want. That might deal with the concern you raise as you would still be able to watch BT Sport on Sky - either at a lower cost tied to BT Broadband (as I do) or as part of your normal Sky subscription (without BT Broadband but at a higher price).

I also think that if BT want to be able to wholesale Sky Sports the same should apply in return. They are a significant competitor and shouldn't be able to have it both ways.

I totally agree!
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tribunal upholds Ofcom pay-TV ruling

UK comms regulator Ofcom has welcomed a court ruling that paves the way for more top sports events to be made available for the first time to viewers of BT’s YouView TV service.

The Competition Appeal Tribunal has published an interim ruling that Sky Sports 1 and 2 should be made available on BT’s YouView service, which uses broadband to deliver TV channels to viewers.

More.. http://advanced-television.com/2014/11/05/tribunal-upholds-ofcom-pay-tv-ruling/