Options

Quick ipad air advice

shortyknickersshortyknickers Posts: 2,488
Forum Member
✭✭✭
:) hi, my sister recently bought an ipad air. She got the 16gb wireless model.

She has now decided she wants 3G Internet access on it as she wants to use it in places that dont have a wireless network.

Is it possible to add the 3G option to her existing wireless ipad air or will she have to buy a new one with 3G on it?

Also, how much is the monthly fee, is it like mobile phones where you can choose how much data you want, with unlimited being more expensive?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't add 3G but you can use a mobile phone as a wireless hotspot and tether to it and access the net that way - you'd need a mobile phone contract that had data and allowed tethering. If she buys a 3G iPad then she will also need a data only contract from one of the mobile phone companies and you pay for a set amount of data or unlimited (prices vary) but even unlimited isn't and has a cap.
  • Options
    shortyknickersshortyknickers Posts: 2,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great stuff, thanks for that :)
  • Options
    stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If their mobile is not capable of this function the other option is a my-fi all the main networks offer them, either on contract or PAYG, (unfortunately with the PAYG all the networks you have to top-up every 30days, (this may have changed since I last looked))

it might be worth posting this question in the mobile forums
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    If she bought it directly from Apple and within the last 14 days she could return it to Apple for a full refund and then purchase a 3G/4G model.

Otherwise as the other posters have said the best options are wifi tethering to a smartphone on a compatible plan or purchasing a mifi with a mobile broadband plan and using that.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've recently upgraded to an Alcatel Y800 which is a 4G mobile WiFi device from EE.

£70 up front but, at the moment you get 6Gb of data, which will last 3 months from its first use.

MOBILE BROADBAND 4GEE PAYG DATA ADD-ONS

The Pay As You Go options range from £3 for a day's worth (500Mb) of data to £30 for 10Gb of data which will last up to 30 days.

Another alternative is to look out for free WiF hotspots in pub, shopping centres, fast food chains etc.