Acts who influenced music, but didnt sell a lot at the time?

HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
Forum Member
✭✭
Who were major influences on music, but sold relativly small amounts themselves?. I mean, sold much less than you thought.

First one I can think of is Chuck Berry. A huge influence on rock music, but never set the charts alight. Had just one number one...with a novelty song. Sold most records in 1964 after bands like The Beatles and Stones covered his songs.

Also The Ramones, seminal influence on punk, I love this band and I was surprised at how few they sold.

Any more??...

Comments

• mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    velvet underground.... they had no chart success here, everything they did chart was retrospectively, yet they are cited as one of the greatest ever influences on music.

i guess you could even cite pete waterman! :eek: not much chart success in any of his forms but did influence pop over the last 20 + years... :mad:
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Van Morrison.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kraftwerk
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Pixies, if they'd to wait a few years they would have probably been huge with the grunge explosion. They influenced a lot of it anyway.

Gil Scott Heron, known as the 'Godfather of Hip-Hop' (to some pretentious buggers :p) was well ahead of his time with his political, poetic diatribes.

and Delia Derbyshire!
  • Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I agree with all the others mentioned on this thread, but the ultimate answer really is Chuck Berry. Modern Music wouldn't be what it is without him.

Anyway, he's 84 and plays one show on one Wednesday a month at The Blueberry Club, and still Tours a bit, so good on him.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The Kinks

Ray Davies called 'The Village Green Preservation Society' the most successful flop ever. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll second Velvet Underground and Pixies. It has been said that not many people bought The Velvet Underground And Nico but those that did started a band.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Muddy Waters.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neil Young?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    CAN, My Bloody Valentine
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chester Burnett AKA Howlin Wolf
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    Neil Young?
    Interesting one..
    He did have 2 multi-platinum albums in the early seventies...but then his sales dropped off considerably, until the early nineties, where he started to shift records again, and has done ever since in the US at least. His last album in 2010 was Billboard number 2.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dizzie Gillespie
    Robert Johnson
    BB King
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Link Wray

Love

The Sonics
  • longpiggylongpiggy Posts: 2,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppyblue wrote: »
    Pixies, if they'd to wait a few years they would have probably been huge with the grunge explosion. They influenced a lot of it anyway.

Gil Scott Heron, known as the 'Godfather of Hip-Hop' (to some pretentious buggers :p) was well ahead of his time with his political, poetic diatribes.

and Delia Derbyshire!

How the hell the Pixies are not stellar is just bemusement to me. Though like Fight Club - they are now appreciated in a wider circle after the initial phase. May be cause we are Brits we got them like the Fun Loving Criminals for a genius that the rest of the world didn't expect.

Any-hoo my nom would be Warren Zevon.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pigmeat Markham?, Rap in 1968?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvMBxlu62c0
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotelier wrote: »
    Pigmeat Markham?, Rap in 1968?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvMBxlu62c0

napolean x1v beats that by two years! lol, see the rare 60's thread...
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Fall.
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick drake.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    Sonia
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree about the Fall, even though I'm not a fan and the Pixies and Velvet Underground.

The Replacements spring to mind, Gram Parsons isn't as well known as he should be (ie not a household name), Alexis Corner, Dr Feelgood and Slim Harpo.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How far do you want to go back?

1920's? 1930's? 1940s?

Pinetop Smith

Meade Lux Lewis

Cab Calloway

Louis Jordan

laid the foundations for what became rock'n'roll in the fifties.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sly and the Family Stone and Artie Shaw.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joy Division
  • longpiggylongpiggy Posts: 2,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    I agree about the Fall, even though I'm not a fan and the Pixies and Velvet Underground.

The Replacements spring to mind, Gram Parsons isn't as well known as he should be (ie not a household name), Alexis Corner, Dr Feelgood and Slim Harpo.

:D
    I WANT to be stereotyped
    I WANT to be classified :cool: Now that is punk!

Actually where is Wall of Voodoo in all this?

Or as in the 80's when I told my friends that seminal artiste Wally Voodoo????:eek: (say the original in a Scottish accent)