Absolute 60's and 70's

CharlieCharlie Posts: 1,777
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Two more themed stations from Absolute.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/oct/18/absolute-radio-60s-70s

Edit: Pardon me already here. :D Delete this if you like.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=53691636&postcount=197

Comments

• CraigSteele2001CraigSteele2001 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think these two new stations will give Gold a run for their money if they play more rare songs than played on Gold, and would fill in the gap nicely along side the 80's, 90s, 00's, and Classic Rock stations Absolute have at the moment
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it will be just the normal absolute branded music with tons of repeats all day. Ok if you like the stones and the beatles i think it will just be a waste of time.
  • RadioQuietRadioQuiet Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Could be interesting, but there are a large number of 60s records that just wouldn't fit into Absolute's style of playlist. Far better if they mixed up the well worn Beatles, Stones, Stax & Motown style of 60s with some more obscure offerings from the era. Hopefully they don't just play the same old hits constantly and dig a little further into stuff that maybe wasn't a hit a the time, but may interest listeners now. Maybe some Freakbeat, Psych, that kind of thing...

The 70s station could be a far more predictable affair however, same old Glam Rock, Punk/New Wave, along with ABBA and the likes. You get the feeling that you could almost write the playlists for this one before they even go on the air!
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Already, Clive Dickens has said that The Searchers or Herman's Hermits won't be playlisted, nor Cliff or Gerry and the Pacemakers according to the 60s website. Also anything pre-1963 when "real music" was born. His words.
  • BundymanBundyman Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to these.

There are loads of Beatles songs that don't get played often here as they were album tracks & loads of Motown songs that that don't get played here. Mixing the US hits in with the UK ones would make it sound great, same with the 70s hopefully they will do that & not be really repetative

Shame they have to slightly ruin them though by dumping the Absolute o' Connell breakfast show on them.
  • jack846jack846 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can Absolute Classic Rock co-exist with Abs 60s and 70s? Are they closing ACR? If not maybe it will be relegated to dabbl status 7pm-6am in London.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God we all dreaming at what these stations could be sadly though the fact is they will have a poor very limited playlist and will be repeated over and over. You only have to listen to absolute 80s i thought it was going to be a great station but its playing the same songs over and over i might aswell dip into my vinyl records from the 80s i would have a wider playlist. Sadly though its how stations are these days where they can only play certain tracks. I dont like the stones beatles or motown so to me it will be a poor station but i guess its down to tastes and no doubt there will be loads of people tuning in to hear the same songs over and over. I really wish we had a proper gold station but sadly the only way that will happen is via internet or even pirate radio then maybe other stations would be shook up if everyone tuned into a good pirate.
    Forum Member
    God we all dreaming at what these stations could be sadly though the fact is they will have a poor very limited playlist and will be repeated over and over. You only have to listen to absolute 80s i thought it was going to be a great station but its playing the same songs over and over i might aswell dip into my vinyl records from the 80s i would have a wider playlist. Sadly though its how stations are these days where they can only play certain tracks. I dont like the stones beatles or motown so to me it will be a poor station but i guess its down to tastes and no doubt there will be loads of people tuning in to hear the same songs over and over. I really wish we had a proper gold station but sadly the only way that will happen is via internet or even pirate radio then maybe other stations would be shook up if everyone tuned into a good pirate.

Hopefully they won't be repetative, but i share your fear.

May i recommend these 2 US oldies stations, they both play some great songs from the 60s, 70s & 80s...US hits of course.

KOMA Radio in Oaklahoma City
    http://socialstreamingplayer.crystalmedianetworks.com/radio/koma
    Any oldies station that uses the line "Crank it up & embarass the kids", is worth having a listen too.

Kola 99.9 in California
    http://www.kolafm.com/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd add WCBS-FM to that selection, but is geoblocked. Plenty of the Amercian oldies format put Smooth and Gold to shame.
    Forum Member
    I'd add WCBS-FM to that selection, but is geoblocked. Plenty of the Amercian oldies format put Smooth and Gold to shame.

Yes, WCBS FM in New York & KRTH 101 in Los Angeles are the daddies of US Oldies stations, but i didn't link to them as they are blocked as are all CBS stations.

Koma & Kola plus many others you can find aren't & most are a great listen
  • SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bundyman wrote: »
    Yes, WCBS FM in New York & KRTH 101 in Los Angeles are the daddies of US Oldies stations
    Yet KRTH is even tighter than Gold. They currently have 671 songs rotating compared to 900+ for Gold.
    Forum Member
    Yet KRTH is even tighter than Gold. They currently have 671 songs rotating compared to 900+ for Gold.

KRTH probably have more than that as they often dump extra songs in the net feed while the adverts are playing on FM as well as doing weekend specials like 70s weekends & holiday top 500s. The 671 is probably just the weekday rotation

Can't remember if KRTH take the Classic Countdown with Dick Bartley on a weekend, i know WCBS New York do. If so, there are some extra songs as well that won't be included in the 671, same for stations that take the classic Casey Kasem American Top 40s

As you know i argue constantly against small playlists, so i'm not going to defend the small number of songs except to say that they are hugely entertaining in a way most UK stations are not. That goes some way to distracting from the small song base. In the same way as Steve Wright plays the same few oldies & over, but you notice less as Steve is entertaining.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KRTH probably have more than that as they often dump extra songs in the net feed while the adverts are playing on FM as well as doing weekend specials like 70s weekends & holiday top 500s. The 671 is probably just the weekday rotation
    I have access to their music so I know how their data is tracked. The net only songs are not accounted for. The 671 figure is the total number in regular rotation fed by the playout system and that is the figure people go by. 'Online only' features come from a different server and are not accounted for. For reference, WCBS currently have exactly 1000 songs in rotation and songs in shows like Dick Bartley are accounted for in that figure.
    As you know i argue constantly against small playlists, so i'm not going to defend the small number of songs except to say that they are hugely entertaining in a way most UK stations are not.
    For what must be the first ever I actually agree with you. US Oldies stations (and American radio in general) have always been entertaining while keeping the flow going with lots of forward momentum. However that's their style of radio. Funnily enough, a lot of Americans listen to UK radio and prefer it to theirs. Go figure. As the saying goes "the grass is always greener of the otherside".
    Forum Member
    I have access to their music so I know how their data is tracked. The net only songs are not accounted for. The 671 figure is the total number in regular rotation fed by the playout system and that is the figure people go by. 'Online only' features come from a different server and are not accounted for. For reference, WCBS currently have exactly 1000 songs in rotation and songs in shows like Dick Bartley are accounted for in that figure.

For what must be the first ever I actually agree with you. US Oldies stations (and American radio in general) has always been entertaining while keeping the flow going and lots of forward momentum.

Interesting they bother to count the Dick Bartley ones as it's essentially the chart from this week in X year, so next week it will be a totally different set of songs & quite a few of those they probably wouldn't play in normal programmes.

Same with stations which take the Old Casey Kasem Top 40 countdowns, i'd thought they wouldn't bother counting those.

In the same way as UK stations wouldn't count the songs played in Totally 80s/90s, as some of those they wouldn't normally play.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same with stations which take the Old Casey Kasem Top 40 countdowns, i'd thought they wouldn't bother counting those.
    I just double checked a station that carries the Casey Kasem show and those songs are included in the number of songs in rotation.
    Forum Member
    I just double checked a station that carries the Casey Kasem show and those songs are included in the number of songs in rotation.

Bizzare!, but thanks for that info
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the same way as UK stations wouldn't count the songs played in Totally 80s/90s, as some of those they wouldn't normally play.
    Even those are accounted for in the same way Heart carries the Big Top 40. Songs showing airplay Sunday 4-7pm make up the final number of songs in rotation.

Btw I have sent you a PM as this is going off topic.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if Abs 60s will be using some of the capacity left by Traffic Radio (and the other bits of empty space) on the NOW Multiplexes....
  • Gary BrentonGary Brenton Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I notice it is not on the Wolverhampton or Birmingham MUX's which is rather a shame.
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice that the Absolute Radio 60s and 70s site have a list of locations where they will be available...

Absolute 60s
    London, Ayr, Prestwick, Cardiff, Newport, Coventry, Nuneaton, Warwick, Rugby, Exeter, Swindon, Newcastle, Sunderland, Darlington, Middlesborough, Leeds, Hull, Scunthorpe, Grimsby, York, Huddersfield, Doncaster, Harrogate, Bradford, Sheffield, Blackburn, Preston, Blackpool, Bolton, Lancaster, Liverpool, Chester, Wrexham and Warrington.

MXR outside the West Midlands?

Absolute 70s
    London
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,830
    Forum Member
    Good to see that two "new" presenters are to spear head the line ups. Pete Mitchell on 60's mid-mornings and Richard Skinner on a new Breakfast slot on 70's.....but they are still rolling out Christian O'Connell !

Must admit, for nostalgia it would be nice if a few other classic presenters fitting to the era could join them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Good to see that two "new" presenters are to spear head the line ups. Pete Mitchell on 60's mid-mornings and Richard Skinner on a new Breakfast slot on 70's.....but they are still rolling out Christian O'Connell !

Skinner's presenting 2-6 weekdays with the OC on Breakfast.

http://absoluteradio70s.co.uk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    I notice that the Absolute Radio 60s and 70s site have a list of locations where they will be available...

Absolute 60s
    London, Ayr, Prestwick, Cardiff, Newport, Coventry, Nuneaton, Warwick, Rugby, Exeter, Swindon, Newcastle, Sunderland, Darlington, Middlesborough, Leeds, Hull, Scunthorpe, Grimsby, York, Huddersfield, Doncaster, Harrogate, Bradford, Sheffield, Blackburn, Preston, Blackpool, Bolton, Lancaster, Liverpool, Chester, Wrexham and Warrington.

MXR outside the West Midlands?

Absolute 70s
    London
    I take it they assume that only people up north like rock music:D
  • ErwinErwin Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the 2 new stations becomes a more classic AOR (Album Oriënted Rock) approach, like the old American radiostations WNEW and other progressive rockstations in the late 60's and 70's.