Anyone seen Martyrs?

madlh100madlh100 Posts: 9,893
Forum Member
I bought it off play.com and it came today. It sounded good and for £3.99 I thought why not.

Just discovered it is in French with English subtitles though. :cry:

Comments

• ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have too many issues with every part of your post :eek:

Can you read ? If so , watch the French film that has been talked about on these forums many many times and enjoy. It is a Fantastic film.
  • madlh100madlh100 Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    ruddiger wrote: »
    I have too many issues with every part of your post :eek:

Can you read ? If so , watch the French film that has been talked about on these forums many many times and enjoy. It is a Fantastic film.

Yeah that's why I bought it because people raved about it on here.

Didn't realise it was French though.

I find films harder to follow having to read subtitles a long the way. I'm sure it will make up for it if it's good though.
  • ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I apologise for my little rant , i was in a bad place for a while ;)

Some of the best horror films of the last 10 years have had subtitles . You are far better off watching the originals in any language rather than wait for hollywood to remake it ( imho)
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd be better off reading the subtitles and ignoring the picture. A thoroughly unpleasant film: not scary just repellent.

Unpleasant + depressing + French = art (apparently).

If you're one of the clueless spods who think "Irreversible" or "Hostel" is actually worth sitting through instead of tasteless rubbish then you might enjoy it.:)
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    If you're one of the clueless spods who think "Irreversible" or "Hostel" is actually worth sitting through instead of tasteless rubbish then you might enjoy it.:)
    And you'd have to be somewhat clueless to bracket Martyrs and the rubbishy likes of Hostel together, frankly.

To be fair, there are one or two good ideas lurking inside Hostel, but Martyrs is leagues ahead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And you'd have to be somewhat clueless to bracket Martyrs and the rubbishy likes of Hostel together, frankly.

To be fair, there are one or two good ideas lurking inside Hostel, but Martyrs is leagues ahead.

I wouldn't bet against it: I watched both of them. One is drivel, the other is drivel with subtitles. The "ideas" in Martyrs are fatuous and the plot is nonsensical. If I'm too dim to understand it then I'm a happy idiot.:)
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martyrs is a brilliant film.

If you're not used to watching a film with subtitles you may be surprised at how quickly you get used to them.

Also. Martyrs isn't really a dialogue heavy film so you won't find them too obtrusive.

If you find that the subtitles don't bother you, then you can check out the wealth of brilliant horror that's out there - start with

The Orphanage
    The Devil's Backbone
    Switchblade Romance
    [rec] (remade as Quarantine)

All brilliant.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't bet against it: I watched both of them. One is drivel, the other is drivel with subtitles. The "ideas" in Martyrs are fatuous and the plot is nonsensical. If I'm too dim to understand it then I'm a happy idiot.:)
    No comment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt cheated after watching this film, it starts off with such promise then just decends into cheap, relentless violence that you watch hoping that there is some profound and interesting point to, there isn't! Not the great movie some here claim it is.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    I'd say Martyrs has an interesting first half but a disappointing second half. Hostel 1 and 2 are sleazy rubbish, albeit reasonably well made sleazy rubbish.

Regards

Mark
  • ultrosultros Posts: 8,504
    Forum Member
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    I felt cheated after watching this film, it starts off with such promise then just decends into cheap, relentless violence that you watch hoping that there is some profound and interesting point to, there isn't! Not the great movie some here claim it is.

The plot (or at least the ideas behind) Martyrs is actually quite interesting compared to most horror films.
    Though I don't think the director has directly said,the film is obviously based on the work/philosophies of controversial French writer Georges Bataille who became obsessed with photographs of a man in 1905 China being executed by the 'Death by a thousand cuts' (a nasty as it sounds execution method which was still used in China at the time) and the expression of seeming ecstasy on the face of the dying (or dead) man.
    Georges Bataille was convinced that the man was going through some sort of transfiguration.
    The same pictures are amongst the ones seen/shown to Anna in the middle of the film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ultros wrote: »
    The plot (or at least the ideas behind) Martyrs is actually quite interesting compared to most horror films.
    Though I don't think the director has directly said,the film is obviously based on the work/philosophies of controversial French writer Georges Bataille who became obsessed with photographs of a man in 1905 China being executed by the 'Death by a thousand cuts' (a nasty as it sounds execution method which was still used in China at the time) and the expression of seeming ecstasy on the face of the dying (or dead) man.
    Georges Bataille was convinced that the man was going through some sort of transfiguration.
    The same pictures are amongst the ones seen/shown to Anna in the middle of the film.

Very interesting
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    Yes, into being dead.

Regards

Mark
    Forum Member
    Very interesting

This is the photo that Anna see's in the middle of the film -
    <Warning quite gruesome>
    A photograph that obsessed the perverse philosopher Georges Bataille, in which a Chinese criminal, while being chopped up and slowly flayed by executioners, rolls his eyes heavenwards in transcendent bliss.
    The same thing happens with Anna (and her eyes) at the end of the film.
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He really doesn't look in bliss to me!
    Forum Member
    He really doesn't look in bliss to me!

LOL
    It is one of a series of photos of the person being executed.
    You can see the guy's face better in the 4th one here (click on it to enlarge) -
    <Again ... Warning quite gruesome>

I'm just saying that this is what the concept of the film seems to be based on :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bataille was nuts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,342
    Forum Member
    I saw it a long time ago, can't remember much but I remember enjoying it

Will probably re-watch soon, along with Frontier(s) and Inside
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a good film. It was like 2 films in one. For me, it showed how evil and selfish some people can be. The link to the Chinese execution - how can people be so evil? And people were crowded around watching!
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first time i saw this it was with the french subtitles and i thought it was brilliant..the second time i watched it was with the english dubbing and i didnt enjoy it as much
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind subtitles.
  • Nik01Nik01 Posts: 9,947
    Forum Member
    Never let the fact that a film is subtitled put you off, some of the best horror films are either French, Italian, Japanese or Korean.

I really like Martyrs and I think the last half of the film is better than the first. Its got a great concept and it quite disturbing in places, The director did a good job of getting across the hopelessness and desperation if the characters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Nik01 wrote: »
    Never let the fact that a film is subtitled put you off, some of the best horror films are either French, Italian, Japanese or Korean.

I really like Martyrs and I think the last half of the film is better than the first. Its got a great concept and it quite disturbing in places, The director did a good job of getting across the hopelessness and desperation if the characters.

Don't forget Spanish Horror.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    mr.Burns wrote: »
    Don't forget Spanish Horror.

...and Sweden !
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is where I first heard about Martyrs and decided to go watch it for myself. Blown away. Amazing horror film. It seems very current and fresh because It is not a slasher or throw-away movie. I agree, don't let subtitles put anyone off, I used to hate subtitles but after seeing films like Martyrs, REC, Central do Brasil, i'd recommend it with subtitles rather than english dub. Martyrs is the kind of film I hope they never do a sequel because I wouldn't want it to turn out shit.