Jodie Harsh x Melanie C - The Night EP

Comments

• LostIslands_LostIslands_ Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one thing I notice about Melanie C, is that she picks really bad singles from albums.

Reason - worst song on it was On The Horizon and it was released as a single. and I would never have used Here It Comes Again as the lead single.

Beautiful Intentions - probably her worst single ever Better Alone. even her b-sides are better. so many great songs on that album such as Little Piece Of Me, Last Night On Earth, Beautiful Intentions

This Time - well Carolyna was a great single choice, but This Time the single was a poor choice

The Sea - I think that Drown is one of the best songs she's ever done. much much better than Think About It and Weak

Mel has said that she dislikes On The Horizon. I can't say I like it either, it's too cheesy. I do think Here It Comes Again is a beautiful song though. I can't really see what would have made a better lead single. Maybe Yeh Yeh Yeh? (Always hated that spelling!)

Agree about Better Alone, I know she released it as a statement towards her old record label but it just didn't work. As you said, that album is full of absolute tunes.

I think Carolyna would have been perfect as the second single from This Time, i've never understood why Understand wasn't the lead single. It's by far (imo) the best thing on that album!

Also agree about Drown, it would have made a much better single than Weak.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mel has said that she dislikes On The Horizon. I can't say I like it either, it's too cheesy. I do think Here It Comes Again is a beautiful song though. I can't really see what would have made a better lead single. Maybe Yeh Yeh Yeh? (Always hated that spelling!)

Agree about Better Alone, I know she released it as a statement towards her old record label but it just didn't work. As you said, that album is full of absolute tunes.

I think Carolyna would have been perfect as the second single from This Time, i've never understood why Understand wasn't the lead single. It's by far (imo) the best thing on that album!

Also agree about Drown, it would have made a much better single than Weak.

I think Yeh Yeh Yeh as the first single, Melt (but with the Here It Comes Again video) as the second single, would have been so so huge for her.

around the time HICA and OTH were released, she was still getting loads of Radio 1 airplay, performances on CDUK, magazine covers, etc. HICA and OTH were really well promoted, I just don't think they were widely appealing enough. Whereas Yeh Yeh Yeh and Melt would've been. But of course she released them as a double a-side so they both kinda were half-lost behind one another, and also she broke her ankle and didnt promote much
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jodie Harsh? I swear there was a drag queen called Jodie Harsh, playing on 'Jodie Marsh'...?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jodie Harsh? I swear there was a drag queen called Jodie Harsh, playing on 'Jodie Marsh'...?

That's who it is :)
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's who it is :)
    Ohhhh! lol, I didn't realise Jodie Harsh was also in the music biz. Ok well I will check out the tune :)
  • choonchoon Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not keen on this either.

Again, the vocals sound too separate from the music.

I'm not gonna write this EP off until i've heard it in full though.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This clip is better than the other one but not great. I like dance/pop and electro pop, but this sounds more like a remix to me. I think maybe it would be better if Melanie chose someone with more experience in writing rather than just remixing than Jodie Harsh. But overall I don't think Melanie is cut out to be a dance artist.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    This clip is better than the other one but not great. I like dance/pop and electro pop, but this sounds more like a remix to me. I think maybe it would be better if Melanie chose someone with more experience in writing rather than just remixing than Jodie Harsh. But overall I don't think Melanie is cut out to be a dance artist.

maybe not, but `i turn to you` was epic in my opinion and still sounds great now. i agree the clips are not great and this is not a good pairing in all honesty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see why these weren't on her album. I quite liked the Sunrise clip but the Set You Free sounds a bit cheap or something.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    maybe not, but `i turn to you` was epic in my opinion and still sounds great now. i agree the clips are not great and this is not a good pairing in all honesty.

But I Turn to You wasn't originally a dance song. It was remixed to be one. I can see her having success with good remixes of her pop songs, but not so much creating dance songs from scratch.
  • Pippa2012Pippa2012 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I turn to you remix was great and i really enjoyed it, This woman deserves more hits again and a successful album, she is sickengly under rated in the UK.
  • simmersimmer Posts: 952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A two minute clip of Walk Away has been posted online.

http://youtu.be/lEuKvHFrYf0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Set You Free has premiered in full. It's not bad, but I still think it sounds more like a remix. The only thing I really don't like is the use of autotune in places, it's just not needed with Mel, makes the song sound a bit cheap and tacky.

http://perezhilton.com/2012-05-12-melanie-c-set-you-free-from-new-dance-ep-the-night#.T66ekGCPcms

This EP seems to be gaining Mel a lot more attention than The Sea did though...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Set You Free has premiered in full. It's not bad, but I still think it sounds more like a remix. The only thing I really don't like is the use of autotune in places, it's just not needed with Mel, makes the song sound a bit cheap and tacky.

http://perezhilton.com/2012-05-12-melanie-c-set-you-free-from-new-dance-ep-the-night#.T66ekGCPcms

This EP seems to be gaining Mel a lot more attention than The Sea did though...
    it's a shame the uk only see Melanie c as a spice girl she sooo isn't yet this new EP is getting the presses attention
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok guys it's time in less than 24 hrs Melanie C and Jodie harsh release there new mini digital album of dance tunes tomorrow is Download The Night EP Day knowing mel if this was downloaded to get her into top 5 of the charts she would release a dance single with video MAKE MELANIE C a uk star again to this new generation down load people download from midnight www.melaniec.net @melaniecmusic also download her new album the sea @ iTunes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :rolleyes:

Mel doesn't care about chart positions or commercial success. If this does turn out to be a hit, great. If not, she'll still be back with more amazing music before long! :D

Don't start a whole "EVERYBODY DOWNLOAD THIS MAKE IT A HIT" because that is only a big fat turn off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have downloaded it from itunes, wasn't expecting it to be so cheap £1.29. My favourite is sunrise but I love the others too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really like Sunrise, it just sounds really off and a bit amateurish production wise. I think it's a good idea, but something just doesn't click for me.

Walk Away is a bit meh, Josie Harsh has been hyping this one up on Twitter saying it "Builds to something beautiful", it's just a few strings really. I don't not like it, though.

Set You Free is the best of the bunch, for me. There's still something that doesn't quite click with the production but it's not a total train-wreck like Sunrise. I actually quite like it, despite the dreaded auto-tune being used several times.

I think it's worth the £1.29 for the stunning pictures of Mel in the digital booklet alone!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for the double post, but I thought i'd post this for the people that care about chart positions:

Set You Free is currently at number 70 on the iTunes charts. Which is very good for an independent release that was released less than 24 hours ago!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel C's new EP is STUNNING. I love how she can crossover to different styles and still sound great. I love Set You Free and Sunrise but Walk Away is a bit forgettable, maybe it'll grow on me later on. Set You Free or Sunrise could be summer anthems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite what I said earlier about Sunrise, it has been stuck i my head for the last few hours.

Set You Free is also slowly rising on iTunes. It's at 60something and 30something in the pop charts. Charting higher than Think About It!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melanie C is currantly climbing the uk iTunes charts one of the new singles set you free is charting at 34
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lee_w wrote: »
    Melanie C is currantly climbing the uk iTunes charts one of the new singles set you free is charting at 34

She hasnt had a top 5 since I Turn To You or Top 10 since Next Best Superstar so be nice if she got a top 10 hit or even top 20.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lee_w wrote: »

Its 71 in the main itunes chart and 34 in the itunes pop chart.