Options

Ipad 4

13»

Comments

• Options
    marlmanmarlman Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I just preordered mine I'm upgrading from an iPad 2 so I should see a difference.

Got a good price for my iPad 2 and I will be keeping my Smart Cover which I hope will still fit!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marlman wrote: »
    I will be keeping my Smart Cover which I hope will still fit!

Yes it does :)
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If memory serves me correctly, Apple didn't initially call the third generation iPad.."iPad 3" ? But it became so commonly know by that name, they appeared to just go along with it.
    Wasn't the iPad with retina screen that came out in March an interim model, in which case this new model is the real, fully fledged IPad 3.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If memory serves me correctly, Apple didn't initially call the third generation iPad.."iPad 3" ? But it became so commonly know by that name, they appeared to just go along with it.
    Wasn't the iPad with retina screen that came out in March an interim model, in which case this new model is the real, fully fledged IPad 3.

The iPad 3 was never called the iPad 3 by Apple.

It was only ever called "The new iPad" or "iPad (3rd generation)".

The "iPad 4" is officially the "iPad with Retina Display" or "iPad (4th generation)".

The iPad 3 was never seen as an interim model when released... It's only now that it has been obsoleted after only 7 months that some people (myself included) have wondered whether it was just a "stop gap" while Apple waited for the A6/A6X etc. to be finished.
  • Options
    spearce8spearce8 Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Looking to get the ipad4, not owned one before, though obviously used one, who's offering the best pre-order price, thinking perhaps the 32GB cellular version, Black :) Quidco also ;)

Many Thanks
  • Options
    rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not seen any deals yet
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Apple have stopped giving new IPads a number - the are just the "new iPad". Technology moves so quickly that there will likely be minor upgrades to the specification every 6-9 months with major updates every couple of years.

Just because the "iPad 4" as been announced doesn't mean the 3rd generation model is now obsolete. It's still a perfectly decent piece of kit and will still be good when the 5th and 6th versions are out.

if I was to buy an iPad now then I'd probably buy a second generation one as the deals available on them are pretty good and the device is powerful enough to do everything I would want. I know the constant pressure to get everyone to upgrade to the latest model is that drives the hardware (and software) industry but sometimes you just need to step back and take a breath.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spearce8 wrote: »
    Looking to get the ipad4, not owned one before, though obviously used one, who's offering the best pre-order price, thinking perhaps the 32GB cellular version, Black :) Quidco also ;)

Many Thanks

The prices for any ipad 4 preorders are the same starting from £399 for the WiFi 16gb version. I know currys are offering a £10 voucher just now for some orders but that may not include iPad 4.

Hope you enjoy your ipad when you get it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the iPad 2 still called the iPad 2 though
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. The iPad 2 is and always was the iPad 2.

1st gen: iPad

2nd gen: iPad 2

3rd gen: new iPad

4th gen: iPad with Retina Display

Now that there's also the Mini, having numbers for the newer models would confuse things, as we'd have...

iPad 4, iPad Mini

iPad 5, iPad Mini 2

iPad 6, iPad Mini 3

etc.

[Although of course the iPad 2 stays as it always was, as it's an older model and already known by that name]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't the iPad 3rd gen have retina display
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Apple now call it 'iPad with Retina display (3rd generation)'

The 4th generation iPad is called 'iPad with Retina display (4th generation)'

'The new iPad' was only ever a marketing designation for the 3rd generation iPad. It's actual name was 'iPad (3rd generation)'.
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spearce8 wrote: »

Many Thanks
    Read the Quidco small print! There's no cashback on 4th gen iPad or iPad Mini. :cry:
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tempted to trade in my iPad 1 and get the iPad 4
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    Could be.

The ipad 3 wasn't too radical compared to the 2, however the ipad4 gen is even more a piss take.

iPad 3 owners got the 3 over the 2 thinking they were getting a new product for 12months or so, new screen and the best hardware setup so far....

just 6 months down the line and a "new" one comes up completely scrapping the 3. Which pisses people off...

After already being pissed of with a crappy iOS 6 update shambles.

I don't get - you can't have it both ways. Be pissed off that its not much of an update, and be pissed off about not having the latest model.

I really need someone to explain to my why a new model of a device is a failure unless its somehow revolutionary.

In the past Apple have taken flak for falling behind the competition due to their annual update cycle. Here they are breaking that cycle, and they get flak for that too!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the 4 th gen take a micro or nano sim ?
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rottweiler wrote: »
    Does the 4 th gen take a micro or nano sim ?

iPad Mini is Nano sim, 4th Gen is Micro Sim according to Apple's website.