Taylor Swift's sales for "Red"

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Your always in an Adele thread doing eaxctly the same as Adele stans do in TS threads both sides have no ground to stand on in this instance but i suppose its nice to see fans get behind their artists in such passionate ways :p

I am not going to argue with you, my ponts in my previous post stand firm and I have not posted in a adele thread for months, but guess as she is old news now not many threads are being created.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully the http://theswiftagency.com/ taylor blog website will have pics and videos on it, its a brilliant website for tayor fans.

Some details he posted the other day.

http://theswiftagency.com/2012/11/03/the-sparkly-dressed-will-light-up-the-christmas-lights-in-fundon/

I'm going to the event so I'm not interested in the pcs and videos, I'm just trying to did out what time other people are going to go to wait for a wristband etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not going to argue with you, my ponts in my previous post stand firm and I have not posted in a adele thread for months, but guess as she is old news now not many threads are being created.

*cough* http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1745069 :rolleyes:
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont go into adele sales theads writing false information and trying to discredit her. I wait for people to set up threads to moan about her to post in, and thats fair game, doing it in a thread like this is pretty lame really. I know adele has retired now but surely her stans still have something to discuss rather then dis taylor day on day.
    I just ignore them now, other taylor fans should as well.

saying adele has retired is false information, congrats on destroying your argument in the same post
  • Timothy BryceTimothy Bryce Posts: 1,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is the biggest female artist worldwide is up for debate and is of course purely subjective but huge sales in one country (and many deserved congrats for that) does not necessary translate to world wide acclaim.

Wouldn't everyone agree its Madonna?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Over 300k internationally when "Speak Now" only managed 100k first week. This album will probably make her presence much bigger WW. "IKYWT" is such a smash waiting to happen-
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    I dont go into adele sales theads writing false information and trying to discredit her.
    That's exactly part of your story here: false info on Adele. That's why Adele's stans are reacting.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Over 300k internationally when "Speak Now" only managed 100k first week. This album will probably make her presence much bigger WW. "IKYWT" is such a smash waiting to happen-

It's an improvement - a 75%/25% US/rest of world split now :D 260 million inhabitants of the US and 6.74 billion in the rest of the world. I still get the feeling the split will return to 80%/20% some time soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you like IKYWT:confused:

This is the reason taylor or her record company added these sort of songs to the album to attract the chart pop fans to the album. Many will buy it just on the couple of singles, even thought they may not like the rest of the album, its typical clever marketing.

I dont really see why taylor needs to try to take over the world, her tours wont be any longer so the only benefit is increased sales and for taylor that benefit is no more then pocket money but at what cost. Its vital to her credibility that this stray away from country is not permenant and her next album takes her back to her country rock sound and certainly singing her own penned songs, thats critical.
    I can see her 30% sales outside the US increasing but not dramatically, non US sales have been slowly increasing upwards since speak and more importantly the speak now tour so I would expect a small surge when she tours outside the US, but we dont have no dates yet so we dont know how long or big this will be.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is the reason taylor or her record company added these sort of songs to the album to attract the chart pop fans to the album. Many will buy it just on the couple of singles, even thought they may not like the rest of the album, its typical clever marketing.

I dont really see why taylor needs to try to take over the world, her tours wont be any longer so the only benefit is increased sales and for taylor that benefit is no more then pocket money but at what cost. Its vital to her credibility that this stray away from country is not permenant and her next album takes her back to her country rock sound and certainly singing her own penned songs, thats critical.
    I can see her 30% sales outside the US increasing but not dramatically, non US sales have been slowly increasing upwards since speak and more importantly the speak now tour so I would expect a small surge when she tours outside the US, but we dont have no dates yet so we dont know how long or big this will be.

It's common place though GL like in America R&B artists who crossover will rlease more urban songs to urban radio and pop as single propers so she will probably do a more ''countrified'' song stateside this is here way of making a deeper impact on the UK/European market as like it or not Germany and the Uk rank third and fourth so lots of money to be had :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's common place though GL like in America R&B artists who crossover will rlease more urban songs to urban radio and pop as single propers so she will probably do a more ''countrified'' song stateside this is here way of making a deeper impact on the UK/European market as like it or not Germany and the Uk rank third and fourth so lots of money to be had :)

But its not a lot of money, certainly not for taylor, just a bt of extra change in her pocket. Unless her new style ends up with her selling 5 million extra albums then the loss of credibilty as a musician is not worth it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But its not a lot of money, certainly not for taylor, just a bt of extra change in her pocket. Unless her new style ends up with her selling 5 million extra albums then the loss of credibilty as a musician is not worth it.

But also by doing this she can then revert back with a foothold in markets she previously only had a fleeting place in so it has to be weighed up this change in sound will allowe her the opportunity and freedom to sell on a major level and its after all but one album. I see this as doing what Fearless was supposed to i think genuinely people thought that record would translate and sell hugely (I blame the poor singles choice Fifteen would have been a huge UK single followed by YBWM) it did very little and Speak Now fared even worse a chnage in sound and here we are her on a bigge rinternational standing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

its 20% sales outside the US according to all reliable indicators including her record company and all available chart data, this has been expalined to you already, kindly stop using the wrong data
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

what credibility? apart from her fans most people see her as a mediocre country artist like jewel or leeann rimes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But also by doing this she can then revert back with a foothold in markets she previously only had a fleeting place in so it has to be weighed up this change in sound will allowe her the opportunity and freedom to sell on a major level and its after all but one album. I see this as doing what Fearless was supposed to i think genuinely people thought that record would translate and sell hugely (I blame the poor singles choice Fifteen would have been a huge UK single followed by YBWM) it did very little and Speak Now fared even worse a chnage in sound and here we are her on a bigge rinternational standing.

I just think the whole thing will fail anyway, I dont think red is gonna sell in the huge numbers many were expecting and she will eventually realise it was pretty much a mistake. Guess it dont hurt to try to appeal to more people but most taylor fans would rather her be what she was prior to red otherwise she will just be catergoriesed along with the other chart pop stars which is not a good thing.
    I hope she reverts back to her country rock sound and writing her own songs without getting a load of lightweights writing with her.
    Red is a good album and stands far above anything else that has come out this year but still falls short of the quality of fearless and speak now. Its has just too many forgetable songs but on the flip side it contains some of her best writing as well, "all to well" is maybe the best song she has ever written, its pretty much a masterpiece almost faultless from every aspect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just think the whole thing will fail anyway, I dont think red is gonna sell in the huge numbers many were expecting and she will eventually realise it was pretty much a mistake. Guess it dont hurt to try to appeal to more people but most taylor fans would rather her be what she was prior to red otherwise she will just be catergoriesed along with the other chart pop stars which is not a good thing.
    I hope she reverts back to her country rock sound and writing her own songs without getting a load of lightweights writing with her.
    Red is a good album and stands far above anything else that has come out this year but still falls short of the quality of fearless and speak now. Its has just too many forgetable songs but on the flip side it contains some of her best writing as well, "all to well" is maybe the best song she has ever written, its pretty much a masterpiece almost faultless from every aspect.

I think you got the idea right there i think even myself was expecting far bigger sales i think it only sold 200k outside of the states when i expected at least say 500K so i think its done her no harm to try but hopefull she will realise she need not have to appeal to the masses to be successful and yes i'm still hankering after an album of songs like Safe and Sound :p
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's funny you say that, because Red has the second most amount of songs she's written on her own with 9 (out of 16). Speak Now has 12 (out of 12), Fearless has 7 (out of 13), and her debut just 3 (out of 11).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    It's funny you say that, because Red has the second most amount of songs she's written on her own with 9 (out of 16). Speak Now has 12 (out of 12), Fearless has 7 (out of 13), and her debut just 3 (out of 11).

All songs on fearless were taylors own origional self penned songs including breath with cobie colbat, take it you dont know the story with liz rose?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you got the idea right there i think even myself was expecting far bigger sales i think it only sold 200k outside of the states when i expected at least say 500K so i think its done her no harm to try but hopefull she will realise she need not have to appeal to the masses to be successful and yes i'm still hankering after an album of songs like Safe and Sound :p

Doing an album full of safe and sound songs would be a disaster for taylor, its not who she is, and they certainly would not hold up well in a stadium full of fans would they:eek:

I just want her to return to who she really is, writing from the heart and not letting others interfere with her material. Lets be honest a few songs on red you can hear have hardly any input from taylor, they are like other peoples songs that she is just adding guest vocals on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doing an album full of safe and sound songs would be a disaster for taylor, its not who she is, and they certainly would not hold up well in a stadium full of fans would they:eek:

I just want her to return to who she really is, writing from the heart and not letting others interfere with her material. Lets be honest a few songs on red you can hear have hardly any input from taylor, they are like other peoples songs that she is just adding guest vocals on.

I meant more in terms of lyrical maturity i though that song proved her worth as a lyrcisit :)

But your right i heard IKYWT and i was like yeah i can see where this is heading and whilst its a good pop song its not her sound and i don't think overall it suits her it isn't her genre she's best when she's being herself Fearless, Speak Now, White Horse, Mary's Song all songs i like as they come from her head and her heart rather than some cynical notion to sell by the bucket load.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I meant more in terms of lyrical maturity i though that song proved her worth as a lyrcisit :)

But your right i heard IKYWT and i was like yeah i can see where this is heading and whilst its a good pop song its not her sound and i don't think overall it suits her it isn't her genre she's best when she's being herself Fearless, Speak Now, White Horse, Mary's Song all songs i like as they come from her head and her heart rather than some cynical notion to sell by the bucket load.

As I have said to you before there is no set rule for great lyrics, more important is writing lyrics that fit in with the song style and taylor does that fantastic. Some of her lyrics on fearless, speak now and red are fantastic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I have said to you before there is no set rule for great lyrics, more important is writing lyrics that fit in with the song style and taylor does that fantastic. Some of her lyrics on fearless, speak now and red are fantastic.

I agree there are some lyrics and writers totally simplistic and often vague that create great music for me TS is just the wrong side of simplistic I get where she is writing from like Speak Now they way it's structured is great but in the whole I find her lyrics to be lacking I prefer her melodies and music that accompany the song but to each their own :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree there are some lyrics and writers totally simplistic and often vague that create great music for me TS is just the wrong side of simplistic I get where she is writing from like Speak Now they way it's structured is great but in the whole I find her lyrics to be lacking I prefer her melodies and music that accompany the song but to each their own :)

Great song lyrics are ones that makes you think, or touch you somehow, it dont matter how many big complex words an artist may use in their lyrics that dont mean its great lyric writing. I dont thing taylor's lyrics on safe and sound are that great anyway. She is at her best when storytelling about her life, they are the hardest lyrics to write and she is pretty much a master at it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great song lyrics are ones that makes you think, or touch you somehow, it dont matter how many big complex words an artist may use in their lyrics that dont mean its great lyric writing. I dont thing taylor's lyrics on safe and sound are that great anyway. She is at her best when storytelling about her life, they are the hardest lyrics to write and she is pretty much a master at it.

I think that is where we differ on TS very few of her lyrics do that i mean i'm not expecting songs on the written level of a Tennyson poem but as you say something affecting Breathe, Change, Fearless, Mary's Song do but the rest i enjoy as solidly written songs :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that is where we differ on TS very few of her lyrics do that i mean i'm not expecting songs on the written level of a Tennyson poem but as you say something affecting Breathe, Change, Fearless, Mary's Song do but the rest i enjoy as solidly written songs :)

I find a lot of taylor lyrics very touching and many can relate to what she is writing as its real, not just made up lyrics that most artists write. And she cleverly puts hidden messages in many of her songs.
    If I want to listen to mind bending lyrics I only have to put on rush and listen to the master of lyric writing professor Neil Peart.:)

I love the master at work in this song, amazing, think of the song title when reading the lyrics and see what Mr Peart is doing.

http://www.lyricsdepot.com/rush/anagram-for-mongo.html