Walking In Without Knocking

Comments

• LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Very suspicious behaviour. Surely you wouldn't go wandering around the back of a house in the dark even if you knew the person there?

I always lock and do up the bolts on my front door (no back door as it's a flat) when I'm in. Even though the area I live in now is pretty safe (if you ignore the fact that someone stole the copper pipes connected each flat to the mains earlier this week at about 4am!), I've lived in some very rough areas indeed, and I have yet to meet anyone who thinks it's OK to just walk into your place who isn't on the dodgy side.

Hell, I wouldn't even do that to my family unless I was staying with them and certainly not on first arrival. It's rude.
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Might just be a ruse to deflect attention; I worked at an office which had a guy trying a sneak theft of computers - he was smartly dressed and made some excuse about being an IT contractor before running off.

Yes, we were told in a security briefing at work to not just assume someone should be there because they happen to be wearing a uniform or have a clipboard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A woman in navy trousers and jumper carrying a clipboard knocked at my door about two years ago saying she was from British Gas, when I asked for ID she ran down the street. I imagine in these days of never ending cold callers a nondescript uniform is a great disguise for opportunist burglars or people trying to get your bank details.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Might just be a ruse to deflect attention; I worked at an office which had a guy trying a sneak theft of computers - he was smartly dressed and made some excuse about being an IT contractor before running off.

I knew someone who used that exact method. And never got caught.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One very good reason why you shouldn't get too friendly with anyone in your street/very close area.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    One very good reason why you shouldn't get too friendly with anyone in your street/very close area.

How far away from your home must a person live then - before you should consider being on friendly terms with them I mean?
    Forum Member

Why? You can be friends with someone but still expect them to knock and wait to be let in.
  • Lewis26Lewis26 Posts: 1,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That does sound a bit dodgy to be fair.
    There is only my mums house and my dads house and a few friends were i just walk in without knocking but they usually know im coming and i wouldnt just turn up out the blue and let myself in!
    Except me mums i suppose because in my head its still my house despite moving out 5 years ago!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    It genuinely baffles me why anyone would leave their doors unlocked in the first place- even in summer. Not that my doors would be open anyway, but if I lived somewhere where people thought it was ok to just walk in unannounced, I'd move elsewhere ASAP.

I used to have arguments with my housemates who routinely thought it was perfectly acceptable to leave the doors unlocked. Not in my house. All doors, front and back, are locked at all times.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never lock my back door when there's someone in, only when we go out.

When I lived at my mum's someone walked in the back door once having walked past the front door up the drive through a gate and round the side of the house. The first we knew about it was when we heard her screaming because the German Shepherd that had puppies in the pantry had her pinned to the,wall.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    OP, did this odd individual have a dog called 'Wilson' with him per chance?
  • terabytepizzaterabytepizza Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I do it every time I enter my grandparent's house, and they say that they don't mind in the slightest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I dont think it was a mistake, I would lock it from now on if I were you!
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    tothegrand wrote: »
    Yeah I dont think it was a mistake, I would lock it from now on if I were you!

Or set a bear trap.
  • Ada RabbleAda Rabble Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »

...and was it dinner time?
  • CheriCheri Posts: 1,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Y'all this is not Home and Away, please lock your damn doors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Why? You can be friends with someone but still expect them to knock and wait to be let in.

I'm not saying you can't be friendly with anyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hyena wrote: »
    How far away from your home must a person live then - before you should consider being on friendly terms with them I mean?

You must have misunderstood my post a bit. I just meant that it's a good reason not to get too friendly with anyone (in my opinion). I just used the street/close area as an example because that's probably where a lot of people are friendliest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact he went around the back of the house in the dark is a little weird. That would have me slightly worried.. but I have a story of my own..

My uncle went round to another family members house.. except he accidently entered a house 2 doors down, took his shoes off, went into the living room and put his feet on the table and only realised it was the wrong house when the very surprised couple came in from the kitchen!

The other family member had just moved by the way before anyone asks didn't he notice the decor etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not saying you can't be friendly with anyone.

Well that's alright then.
    You must have misunderstood my post a bit. I just meant that it's a good reason not to get too friendly with anyone (in my opinion). I just used the street/close area as an example because that's probably where a lot of people are friendliest.

:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's alright then.

:confused:

Ignore the rest of my post and then place a confused smilie emotion in your post after concentrating on that bit in bold.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignore the rest of my post and then place a confused smilie emotion in your post after concentrating on that bit in bold.

So can you get friendly with anyone or not? And if so how far away should they live?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So can you get friendly with anyone or not? And if so how far away should they live?

To a point. How far they live hasn't got anything to do with it. I'm puzzled by that bit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »

Perhaps he was taking around some cake!

But I agree about calling the Police - they'd be glad of the information.

How was he acting and where was he looking when he first walked in? (Was he eyeing up things on units? Or appearing to walk into a farmilliar house?)
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treme wrote: »
    Smartly dressed and red fleece sounds like some kind of sales rep or doorstep seller to me, not a burglar.

Normal salesman use the front door!
    and if there's no answer, they go to the next house!
    Not round the back!