Dragon's Dogma

Comments

• 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    seanf wrote: »
    2D let me know what class would help more and ill change him for you. Once ive changed him i think you need to sleep and it will update. I'm thinking of putting him back to standard mage with healing abilities.

Just thought, not sure if ny pawn will show im down to silver account until pay day

I've been playing with your pawn, "Dante" I think his name is, he's a bit of a freak for sure and not all that helpful but then again nor is mine. My own pawn is a mage so I think he's ok as he is. Thanks
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that the flower quest at the village you start in? She wants some Sunbright and Moonglow?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Guys can anyone lend me some tips please, I'm only at the beginning done a couple of missions but I'm wondering if I picked the wrong class. I went with Fighter and so far I've been struggling with some fights, one side mission which requires me to pick a lady some flowers which has some wolves on the path that attack me, and after that some goblins that will one hit kill me, all of these enemies are way overpowered compared to me. I have no armour, have no idea where to buy some. I went down the well to do that mission and the dragons down there are the same, I die within a couple of swipes or I'm constantly trying to rescue my pawn. What's going on? This is harder than Dark Souls ever was..

I thought I'd ask now as I suspect Strider is the best class and I don't mind starting again, but will I lose my character features and pawn if I do though? Thanks

TBH I have been using some of my friends higher lvl pawns and thats helping. I suggest getting other pawns in that compliment yours so if your a fighter get a mage healer in the party to take care of you both etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2D Are you using a full party with 2 other pawns (as well as your own)?

Always pick pawns that complement each other. My own pawn is a mage tailored towards healing support, a sorceror is good to have around (after level 10) as they do serious aoe damage. If you are a fighter get another mage or strider and vice versa.

The official guide says a party of warrior (available at level 10), healer specced mage and 2 sorcerors is a good combination for most fights.

If you can afford the rift crystals, always get pawns that are 5-10 levels above you. They will be stronger, have better abilities and likely have knowledge of quests and how to defeat all the enemies you will face. Also don't hang on to hired pawns for too long as they don't level when you do and could quickly get underpowered.

Some monsters will kill you if you try to take them on too soon so don't be ashamed to detour past them if they are in your way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know with Dark Arisen now out the answer is probably no, but i was wondering is a point of no return? or perhaps a point after which certain quests become unavailable? i've still got a few quests from the first city that need doing

i believe one is called basic training and i need to kill some rats, i didn't know where to go so i just left it later, i'd hate to miss a trophy because of it and similar optional quests

Also my brother got Dark Arisen and i was wondering is it worth playing the whole game on that disk, or should i just keep playing on the original and then move over once i'm done, are the improvements that good?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think there's any point where quests become unavailable/uncompletable. Most of the "kill x number of y" quests are completed during other quests, so if you still have some to complete you have probably missed other quests to go to certain places somewhere along the line.

If you start a game in Dragon's Dogma and then switch to Dark Arisen you get several huge gifts/perks. One is a permanent portal stone so fast travel becomes easy and another is 100,000 rift crystals to spend on powerful pawns etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    willowfan wrote: »
    Don't think there's any point where quests become unavailable/uncompletable. Most of the "kill x number of y" quests are completed during other quests, so if you still have some to complete you have probably missed other quests to go to certain places somewhere along the line.

If you start a game in Dragon's Dogma and then switch to Dark Arisen you get several huge gifts/perks. One is a permanent portal stone so fast travel becomes easy and another is 100,000 rift crystals to spend on powerful pawns etc.

Sounds like it worth carrying on on Dark Risen just for the items

That's good about the quests as well, means i can play how i like and not have to worry about missing stuff
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Is that the flower quest at the village you start in? She wants some Sunbright and Moonglow?

Yep that's the one.

Thanks Monkey Much for the tips.
    willowfan wrote: »
    2D Are you using a full party with 2 other pawns (as well as your own)?

Always pick pawns that complement each other. My own pawn is a mage tailored towards healing support, a sorceror is good to have around (after level 10) as they do serious aoe damage. If you are a fighter get another mage or strider and vice versa.

The official guide says a party of warrior (available at level 10), healer specced mage and 2 sorcerors is a good combination for most fights.

If you can afford the rift crystals, always get pawns that are 5-10 levels above you. They will be stronger, have better abilities and likely have knowledge of quests and how to defeat all the enemies you will face. Also don't hang on to hired pawns for too long as they don't level when you do and could quickly get underpowered.

Some monsters will kill you if you try to take them on too soon so don't be ashamed to detour past them if they are in your way.

OK thanks for the advice. I am using my own Pawn (Mage healer) and seanf's Pawn, so I need another one? Will it really make the difference? The seem quite useless to me but yeah they are both low level. i will try and mix it up a bit and hire a Strider Pawn as well. The checkpoint system was also putting me off and I want to enjoy this game as it looks fantastic and I really enjoy the combat thus far.

If my pawn dies in battle and I don't rescue them do I lose them for good? Also how long do they lie on the ground before dying? If I knew this it might make combat a little less stressful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your own pawn dies you can get them back at a rift stone with no penalty
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guys can anyone lend me some tips please, I'm only at the beginning done a couple of missions but I'm wondering if I picked the wrong class. I went with Fighter and so far I've been struggling with some fights, one side mission which requires me to pick a lady some flowers which has some wolves on the path that attack me, and after that some goblins that will one hit kill me, all of these enemies are way overpowered compared to me. I have no armour, have no idea where to buy some. I went down the well to do that mission and the dragons down there are the same, I die within a couple of swipes or I'm constantly trying to rescue my pawn. What's going on? This is harder than Dark Souls ever was..

I thought I'd ask now as I suspect Strider is the best class and I don't mind starting again, but will I lose my character features and pawn if I do though? Thanks

You can change class in the inn at gran soren. I use the mage/ archer type duel flame daggers and mystic bow, ive messed around with all the classes but this one i find best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep that's the one.

If you rest at the inn until morning, go outside of the village and on the left is a tree with a goblin standing by it. The Sunbright flower is around that tree, and if you carry walking straight passed that tree, you'll find the last ones you need around another tree a few steps away.

The Moonglow flower only comes out at night time. Rest at the inn until night in the village, then go outside and go right, down onto the beach. Walk along the beach passed a few groups of goblins and you'll find the Moonglow flower glowing by some stones. It's pretty easy to see. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 d ive changed my pawn so go to the inn sleep and he should update if not go to riftstone send him a way and then recruit him again hes now a warrior, I found it hard at the start but go out, kill a few low level bandits and get your level up and you should be fine.
  • The Special OneThe Special One Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picked up this game yesterday not really knowing what to expect, but WOW I love it so far. I think I was expecting a standard hack and slash game with no side missions etc.

I take it I have to play through Dragons Dogma before I can play Dark Arisen?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only in so far as the Dark Arisen content is intended for fairly high level characters.
  • ZentonZenton Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an incredible game! I've only played it for a couple of hours but I'm already enjoying it far more that Skyrim and Kingdom of Amular.

The pawn system is a great idea, its fun entering the Rift and viewing other players pawns. Mines called Karena, shes a mage/healer a cute short haired blonde, with a big bust - feel free to try her out.

The challenge for me at this early stage is trying to decide what class to play. I started with a warrior but I think I'll try and swich to a strider or assassin - something thats more flexbile to suit and defeat different enemies.

I'm not sure if there is a fast travel option but I havent explored much of the world, I've only visted Gran Soren once and then walked back to the encampment (I do wish my overly muscled warrior had more stamina, he gets exhausted very easily)

I cant beleive I only paid £17.99 for a game this good!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You get items a bit later in the game that let you fast travel. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bugger me dark arisen is hard. Had make a hasty retreat. Any one know how to gargoyles? Im level 50 and didn't even scratch them.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I want this game now. I just know, if I get it though, it will take me ages to decide what class to be, and I always take way too long customising my character and then worrying about the best way to optimise them. I'm kind of neurotic like that :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bugger me dark arisen is hard. Had make a hasty retreat. Any one know how to gargoyles? Im level 50 and didn't even scratch them.

You're brave going in at level 50.:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're brave going in at level 50.:p

What level would you recommend i should be before starting dark arisen? Also I'm at the great wall camp ready to start the final battle is this wise im now level 52?
    Forum Member
    Picked this up earlier. Truly a bargain price for anyone who didn't get the original. Quite enjoying it, but not really fully got into it yet. Some of the inventory layouts are a bit confusing for me at the moment, and there are so many quests, and so much going on, it's a bit overload!

I'm sure I'll settle into it as it goes on. Love the big open world and the day and night cycle that seems to actually affect the gameplay a lot. Not sure why my lantern went out during some battles though? :confused:

And I'd also like to know if there is a limit to how many vocation skills I can max? Because I started as a strider, and though the bow is useful, I'm not sure I really enjoy using it all that much. Might change to a mage or warrior. I just wondered if it was like dragon quest ix- you can max various vocations on one character, but you can't max all of them. I'd hate to have started as a strider only for most of the skills I've levelled up so far being redundant, and taking the place of skills which would have been more useful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    . Not sure why my lantern went out during some battles though? :confused:

If the lantern gets wet or the oil runs out it will go out. Keep a few flasks of oil and use them on the lantern if it starts to dim
  • ZentonZenton Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've really enjoyed my time playing Dragons Dogma and I havent really even got started. I reached level 26 after starting as a Figthter, then a ranger and then switched to an assassin.
    My pawn Karenda backed me up as a mage an healer and was useful.

I've since discovered I mess up a quest very early on in the game. I failed the Quinna quest which apparently misses alot of missions if not completed. So I've restarted as a Mage, then I'll switch to either a Mystic Knight or Magic Archer at level 10. My pawn Karenda will be a tank.

Only gripe about the game and its a small one, is that the monsters always reappear in the same locations but Its so much fun killing them in so many ways I dont mind that much!

If anyone has some low level pawns to share I'll take them out on my next session
    Forum Member
    If the lantern gets wet or the oil runs out it will go out. Keep a few flasks of oil and use them on the lantern if it starts to dim

Ah, makes sense :p The cave did have water coming from the roof, thanks :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What level would you recommend i should be before starting dark arisen? Also I'm at the great wall camp ready to start the final battle is this wise im now level 52?

52 is fine for the last battle. Just make sure you take lots of healing items.

I started Dark Arisen around level 80. The early stuff is pretty easy enough to get by, but it gets tough a little bit later into it. You should probably get a few levels before going too far into that place. If you're doing fine now, just level up a little bit at the start of it, and then go deeper.:)