SKY fibre optic V BT Infinity 2

YesYes Posts: 364
Forum Member
Sky checker says I will get 40.9 (Mbps)

BT infinity 2 says 57.2Mb.

I understand these things are inaccurate but presumably BT Infinity 2 would likely give me a faster service?

Someone has told me that both will have the exact same speed?

Advantage of SKY is I'm already with them and it is cheaper.

But I would go with BT if it was going to be faster.

Comments

• d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    If you want a chance of getting the faster speed, go with BT Unlimited Infinity 2. The cheaper Sky Fibre unlimited is capped at about 38Mbps anyway (they may claim 40 though).

To get more than 40Mbps on Sky Fibre you need the "Pro" version, which IIRC costs £30 pm i.e. more than BT Infinity 2. http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/fibre-optic/ (scroll down the page).
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Yes wrote: »
    Sky checker says I will get 40.9 (Mbps)

BT infinity 2 says 57.2Mb.
    That is unusual! For my home every speed checker says 34Mbps (including BT Infinity) - presumably because they ALL use the same Openreach prediction service!
  • zaaxzaax Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Thats only the speed between your House and the exchange everythiong else is down to world wide wait.
  • YesYes Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    I think I was 'lead up the garden path' by some nub online in him saying that Infinity 2 will be the same speed as the standard sky fibre optic.

Screw it, I'm getting bt Infinity 2. I want multiple GB torrents downaloaded in minutes, FEED ME MOREE!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    BT Infinity 2 is 80/20 (up/down) profile the same as Sky fibre pro, BT Infinity 1 is a 40/10 profile like Sky's fibre unlimited. The checkers are only estimates but if you can get 57mb/s then you can get the 80/20 profile.

The best checker to use is this one from BT Wholesale even tells you what cabinet you are on:-

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Since the end of last year though BT have been advertising BT Infinity 160Mb, but this is only for new fibre to the premises lines.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/faster-internet
    Forum Member
    I think I was 'lead up the garden path' by some nub online in him saying that Infinity 2 will be the same speed as the standard sky fibre optic.

Screw it, I'm getting bt Infinity 2. I want multiple GB torrents downaloaded in minutes, FEED ME MOREE!!!!

Yes, Yes, Sky FIbre Pro costs more than Infinity 2.

BT are currently rolling out FTTP on Demand at 330 Mbps, anyone who can get FTTC will be able to order/upgrade to that later this year but at a much greater installation cost. Details are not yet released but if you have plenty of spare cash it's something to keep your eye on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Openreach have published prices for FTTPoD the minimum it will cost is £700 if you are up to 200m away. Details are here depending on your distance from the nearest NGA aggregation node:-

http://recombu.com/digital/news/bt-fttp-on-demand-trial_M11049.html

If you go down to the bottom and click the "BT Openreach FTTP on Demand charges” link you will get more details there.
    Forum Member
    Openreach have published prices for FTTPoD the minimum it will cost is £700 if you are up to 200m away. Details are here depending on your distance from the nearest NGA aggregation node:-

http://recombu.com/digital/news/bt-fttp-on-demand-trial_M11049.html

If you go down to the bottom and click the "BT Openreach FTTP on Demand charges” link you will get more details there.

They are not ISP prices to the end-user, none of which have been announced by anyone. They are Openreach prices to ISPs, who can charge the end-user anything they like, anyway they like (or nothing).

All we know is that FTTP on Demand is likely to be a LOT more expensive than FTTC, either to install, per month, or a bit of both.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since the end of last year though BT have been advertising BT Infinity 160Mb, but this is only for new fibre to the premises lines.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/faster-internet

Well it is for areas where they have an FTTP presence. of which there are 5 or 6. In these areas the manifolds are already there at the top of the pole or underground so you don't have the massive construction charges you do with FTTP on Demand.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You'll only be able to download as fast as the sender/s will allow. Torrents will get faster though, especially now that fibre connections with high upload speeds are becoming increasingly popular. These fibre connections will dramatically change people's experiences on the Internet.
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    What you have to remember as well is the extra benefits you get by taking Infinity 2. The biggest wifi hotspot network in the world. The Hub 3 which currently has the best rang available out of all the ISP's as well as winning awards for reliability.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    If you want a chance of getting the faster speed, go with BT Unlimited Infinity 2. The cheaper Sky Fibre unlimited is capped at about 38Mbps anyway (they may claim 40 though).

To get more than 40Mbps on Sky Fibre you need the "Pro" version, which IIRC costs £30 pm i.e. more than BT Infinity 2. http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/fibre-optic/ (scroll down the page).

They claim 40 meg down and that is what I get (40001 to be precise), according to the Sky Hub settings, plus 10 meg (10000) up.
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What you have to remember as well is the extra benefits you get by taking Infinity 2. The biggest wifi hotspot network in the world. The Hub 3 which currently has the best rang available out of all the ISP's as well as winning awards for reliability.

BT Wifi is so bad. Sky wifi on the other hand is a lot better speed wise.
  • Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The cheaper Sky Fibre unlimited is capped at about 38Mbps anyway (they may claim 40 though).

Technically it is up to 40Mbps, but due to ofcom rulings they have to advertise what 10% of their subscribers can get.
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    They claim 40 meg down and that is what I get (40001 to be precise), according to the Sky Hub settings, plus 10 meg (10000) up.

Connection speed is up to 40, data download speed will be up to about 38. That's all most people care about and is what I meant. It's also why BT advertise Infinity 1 as "up to 38 Mbps download speed". So do Sky but it seems to be in the small print. ;)
    Forum Member
    So which should I go with !!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go with BT personally. I actually think their network from the exchange has the edge on Sky nowadays.

As for BT wifi, it works very well for me.
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So which should I go with !!

Infinity.

It rocks!

Solid, reliable, and it does exactly what it says on the tin.
    Forum Member
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    I'd go with BT personally. I actually think their network from the exchange has the edge on Sky nowadays.

As for BT wifi, it works very well for me.
    Will Infinity 2 likely give me faster speed than Sky?

I use the internet all the time and have a decent amount of cash in the bank, so I want the best service. But I'm also not Donald Trump and don't want to waste needless money.

Presumably the sky premium service isn't available as it didn't come up on the checker?
    Forum Member

I use the internet all the time and have a decent amount of cash in the bank, so I want the best service. But I'm also not Donald Trump and don't want to waste needless money.

Presumably the sky premium service isn't available as it didn't come up on the checker?

Either seem to be very similar, but you may get a better idea by checking on.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_availability
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Infinity 2 shouldn't give you a faster maximum speed than Sky Fibre Pro, no.

I've had Infinity 2 at three different addresses now, I have always got the maximum speed at all times, it never slows down at peak times.

People don't like it being brought up but Sky did have some capacity issues on their backhaul, which slowed down services for their customers for a while, including their FTTC customers. They've sorted it, but it doesn't inspire much faith in their ability to monitor how much backhaul they are renting and increase it when appropriate.

As for Sky Fibre Pro not being available. Well it should be, there's no reason why you would be able to get the 40Mbit service and not higher, providing your line supports it. Might be best to phone Sky and ask.

Just done a check on my own line on Sky's site. It also only offers me 40Mbit. Strange as I have BT Infinity 2 and I get 80mbit (my line is actually synced at 104Mbit). No idea why Pro isn't offered on the site.
    Forum Member
    Connection speed is up to 40, data download speed will be up to about 38. That's all most people care about and is what I meant. It's also why BT advertise Infinity 1 as "up to 38 Mbps download speed". So do Sky but it seems to be in the small print. ;)

I see. Either way, I'm getting nearly a 4x increase in download speed, so for me it has been worth paying the extra tenner a month. YouTube buffering for example, has decreased a lot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see. Either way, I'm getting nearly a 4x increase in download speed, so for me it has been worth paying the extra tenner a month. YouTube buffering for example, has decreased a lot.

I'm on 10.8Mbits and YouTube videos nearly always load without pausing. About 3 in 20 videos struggle to load without pausing.
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I'm on 10.8Mbits and YouTube videos nearly always load without pausing. About 3 in 20 videos struggle to load without pausing.

That was similar to my speed and situation. Now, it is fairly rare to get YouTube buffering, which frankly is down to YT itself.

I did a test download of a 1.9 Gb file from Microsoft downloads and it took between 10-15 minutes to complete.

As the saying goes, you can only download as fast as the downloading server allows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was similar to my speed and situation. Now, it is fairly rare to get YouTube buffering, which frankly is down to YT itself.

I did a test download of a 1.9 Gb file from Microsoft downloads and it took between 10-15 minutes to complete.

As the saying goes, you can only download as fast as the downloading server allows.

Yeah, you should have downloaded between the 3-4GBs mark.