Options

Request for advice

Hi all,

Yep, it's one of those 'recommend me a machine please' threads :-) Am on the look out for a new laptop. Have quickly considered a Chromebook, even using it alongside my current old, slow laptop, but have decided it would be too limiting. So, have come to the obvious experts here for a bit of advice and pointing something my way. Some details below;

Budget - Can stretch to £500, but ideally would like something under £400.
Usage - I'm not a gamer, bar standard games such as Football Manager, so doesn't need to be anything too high powered. I do a bit of website work, alongside graphics production using Photoshop etc

So, really looking for some pointers. Have done some searching myself, seem to be quite a few options out there, but am not too up on the breadth of current processors, hence my request for a bit of a pointer and recommended machines.

Cheers for any help.

Comments

• Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At your price mark there are lots of machines but they're all basically the same.

If you're doing graphics work, have you got a good external monitor because a £400 laptop is going to come with a 1366x768 TN panel most likely.

Does this laptop need to be portable or will it be sat at the same desk most of its life?
  • Options
    PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    At your price mark there are lots of machines but they're all basically the same.

If you're doing graphics work, have you got a good external monitor because a £400 laptop is going to come with a 1366x768 TN panel most likely.

Does this laptop need to be portable or will it be sat at the same desk most of its life?

Yep, got a good widescreen monitor. It will need to be portable. Weight in itself isn't that much of an issue though, but obviously the lighter the better.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make sure its properly insured so if you drop it that it'll be fixed and as said above at that price range they're all pretty much the same, but if you are not technical i'd try and get as big a hard drive as possible in the machine as thats the biggest upgrade pain having to mirror it where as popping in a bigger memory stick is usually a piece of p....