Options

The Tunnel

jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
Forum Member
✭✭
Read about this in Guardian autumn preview. Loose remake of Scandi crime drama 'The Bridge'. Know nothing about it and haven't seen original, but cast sounds good: Stephen Dillane and Clemence Poesy.

Anyone else looking forward to it or know anything about it or original?

Comments

• Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    Read about this in Guardian autumn preview. Loose remake of Scandi crime drama 'The Bridge'. Know nothing about it and haven't seen original, but cast sounds good: Stephen Dillane and Clemence Poesy.

Anyone else looking forward to it or know anything about it or original?

The original was shown on BBC4 in April last year in the regular Saturday night Euro-Crime slot and it was VERY good
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Futher article about The Tunnel - sadly its going to be shown on Sky Atlantic, so I'm out:(

It seems Canal+ will be showing an all French language version, not sure if Sky will have an all English one, though wouldn't be surprised given your average viewers reluctance to watch sub-titles.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Futher article about The Tunnel - sadly its going to be shown on Sky Atlantic, so I'm out:(

It seems Canal+ will be showing an all French language version, not sure if Sky will have an all English one, though wouldn't be surprised given your average viewers reluctance to watch sub-titles.

The Sky screening will have both English & French spoken language so the non-English parts will be subtitled in the same way the US version is on FX. The Spanish-spoken bits are subtitled.
    The reverse will be in place for Canal+.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    The Sky screening will have both English & French spoken language so the non-English parts will be subtitled in the same way the US version is on FX. The Spanish-spoken bits are subtitled.
    The reverse will be in place for Canal+.

I didn't really make it clear in my post but I got the impression from the article that, in France at least, there would be two versions, one all French and one half and half:

"Poesy ... also revealed she has been dubbing the English parts of the script into French. But she urged viewers to watch it in the original, half-English, half-French version"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't really make it clear in my post but I got the impression from the article that, in France at least, there would be two versions, one all French and one half and half:

"Poesy ... also revealed she has been dubbing the English parts of the script into French. But she urged viewers to watch it in the original, half-English, half-French version"

Id much rather watch the half & half and French laws mean that the original sound track must be available so folks can make their choice :)
    Hate dubbing, you lose so much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got quite used to watching subtitles now after all the Nordic stuff we've had lately, just a shame I don't get Sky Atlantic.:(
  • Options
    abannieabannie Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got quite used to watching subtitles now after all the Nordic stuff we've had lately, just a shame I don't get Sky Atlantic.:(

You can watch it online with a 'sky go monthly ticket' if you really wanted to see it but didn't have/want sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abannie wrote: »
    You can watch it online with a 'sky go monthly ticket' if you really wanted to see it but didn't have/want sky.

Think I'll wait for the second series of Broen - not sure I would be happy with someone else playing Martin and Saga:D
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

Oh well, there's always torrent sites.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think I'll wait for the second series of Broen - not sure I would be happy with someone else playing Martin and Saga:D

Absolutely, I just don't see the need for a remake specially when they have the American one being made. I just have a feeling this will be flat and pointless.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original Scandi version was excellent but I gave up with the US remake after a few episodes. I'll be giving this a go and will be trying not to compare the versions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh well, there's always torrent sites.

:eek: The thought hadn't even begun to consider the possibility of crossing my mind;)
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    :eek: The thought hadn't even begun to consider the possibility of crossing my mind;)

Mine neither, I was demonically possessed at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    The original Scandi version was excellent but I gave up with the US remake after a few episodes. I'll be giving this a go and will be trying not to compare the versions.

I like the US version.
    It starts off a bit slow and odd, but its good!
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see this either, I'm so disappointed. I love Clemence Poesy.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    I like the US version.
    It starts off a bit slow and odd, but its good!

Maybe I'll give another go sometime. I just gave up after a few episodes as the Mexican side of the story got too confusing and I couldn't quite accept Diane Kruger as the female lead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Maybe I'll give another go sometime. I just gave up after a few episodes as the Mexican side of the story got too confusing and I couldn't quite accept Diane Kruger as the female lead.

I like Diane Kruger as the lead female. I think the of-putting part (For me anyway) is her character. But he plays it so well.
    And yes, the mexican side is a little strange at first, but like any good drama series, it keeps you to the end to understand it all.
    It wouldn't be much if it blew it load in the first 30 minutes now would it :D
    Give it a watch, worth it, trust me
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First episode is now available on On Demand.

Both SD and HD versions available in Box Sets > All
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »

So, to anyone who has watched it – what was the final decision they took in terms of the languages? Do both the English and French characters speak English? Do the French characters speak French and it’s subtitled? Or do the French characters speak French but its dubbed into English in the UK broadcast version?
    :confused:
  • Options
    fodg09fodg09 Posts: 3,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The French characters speak French and it is subtitled.

I have just watched it and thought it was very well done.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fodg09 wrote: »
    The French characters speak French and it is subtitled.

I have just watched it and thought it was very well done.

Which would be my preferred option, so good!
    The advert makes it look like the French actors have been dubbed into English though… maybe they did it just for the advert. Or maybe they just pick lines of dialogue where they are actually speaking English.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Seen lots of Trailers for this - looks good.
    derek500 wrote: »

May catch this on 'On Demand' - if I can find the HD version.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Which would be my preferred option, so good!
    The advert makes it look like the French actors have been dubbed into English though… maybe they did it just for the advert. Or maybe they just pick lines of dialogue where they are actually speaking English.

The French characters speak French with each other but English when speaking with English.

So when the two main characters talk to each other, they speak in English.

No dubbing (thank goodness).

It works very well.
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched it on On Demand. Pleasantly surprised and it sticks very closely to Broen though I much prefer Martin and Saga on the Danish/Swedish version.
    Slightly puzzled why they would make another version of such a good drama - and an American one as well????
    Have they done it in Icelandic yet?
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It starts on Wednesday at 9pm on Sky Atlantic.