Options

ED actresses are amazing at the moment

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,325
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Zoe Henry is amazing in the addiction storyline.

Lesley Dunlop performance has been heartbreaking. The scene where Gennie shave off her head, has been IMO the best scene of the year.

The actress playing Kerry is excellent. I think Kerry is a very difficult part to play because she's such a waste of space. But the actress manages to make her human and likeable. She has great comic timing too.

The actress portraying Vanessa is excellent too.

Lucy Pargeter never disappoints.

Chelsea Halfpenny is finally getting more dramatic material and I think she's great. Even when I disliked the characters I've never had any reason to fault her acting.

Hopefully Natalie J Robb will get a big storyline soon, as she's one of their best actresses.

The only weak link IMO is Charley Webb. She is not dreadful but the other actresses are so much better than her, especially now that so many of them are acting their socks off. Her mahogany permatan is very distracting.

Comments

• Options
    Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    I actually think Charley Webb is one of the best on Emmerdale right now. But I agree with your other points:)

I also believe Emma Atkins is very strong and cannot wait for her to find out about Jai. I think she will be excellent.
  • Options
    ferdybookgeekferdybookgeek Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree Zoe Henry, Lesley Dunlop and Lucy Parteger have been brilliant, the others have just been average for me.
    I disagree about Charley Webb, she's been great - I don't like her tan though, then again it's realistic since a lot of young women seem to have awful tans.
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy Pargeter, Chelsea Halfpenny, Emma Atkins, Lesley Dunlop, Natalie Robb, Nicola Wheeler, Zoe Henry and Michelle Hardwick are all very good

I don't mind Charley Webb. I think she plays a very difficult, hard-faced character, who doesn't show emotions or even 'give' anything to the people she cares about. She only occassionally lets down her guard, and Charley has always been good in these scenes. I wonder if perhaps she was knackered a lot of the time last year, and not able to perform at her best? She had an extremely heavy workload, a very depressing storyline to perform, and in her personal life a young child (and perhaps relationship problems?). I don't mind about the fake tan. It's not my taste to wear so much fake tan but it's very popular just now, so it's quite realistic for Debbie and Amy to trowel it on!
  • Options
    avaconradavaconrad Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a pity Victoria doesn't get a storyline of her own much better than Amy
  • Options
    star89star89 Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think Charley Webb is one of the best on Emmerdale right now. But I agree with your other points:)

I also believe Emma Atkins is very strong and cannot wait for her to find out about Jai. I think she will be excellent.

Totally agree with you.

I think ED have a very strong cast over all. IMO there's only a couple of weak links but not weak enough to distract me from the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avaconrad wrote: »
    She is good. It would be nice to see her do something she could really get her teeth into.
  • Options
    Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissLola wrote: »
    Zoe Henry is amazing in the addiction storyline.

Lesley Dunlop performance has been heartbreaking. The scene where Gennie shave off her head, has been IMO the best scene of the year.

The actress playing Kerry is excellent. I think Kerry is a very difficult part to play because she's such a waste of space. But the actress manages to make her human and likeable. She has great comic timing too.

The actress portraying Vanessa is excellent too.

Lucy Pargeter never disappoints.

Chelsea Halfpenny is finally getting more dramatic material and I think she's great. Even when I disliked the characters I've never had any reason to fault her acting.

Hopefully Natalie J Robb will get a big storyline soon, as she's one of their best actresses.

The only weak link IMO is Charley Webb. She is not dreadful but the other actresses are so much better than her, especially now that so many of them are acting their socks off. Her mahogany permatan is very distracting.

Zoe Henry has been absolutely brilliant as an addict. She researched what it's like to be an addict and plays the part realistically and perfectly. I can't fault her at all. I agree that the rest of the Emmerdale actresses are also great at the moment. As for Debbie and her fake tan, this is quite fashionable at the moment among young women. Her character is a hard faced one which is why she is like this. I quite like her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cuddly_Cat wrote: »
    Zoe Henry has been absolutely brilliant as an addict. She researched what it's like to be an addict and plays the part realistically and perfectly. I can't fault her at all. I agree that the rest of the Emmerdale actresses are also great at the moment. As for Debbie and her fake tan, this is quite fashionable at the moment among young women. Her character is a hard faced one which is why she is like this. I quite like her.

The problem with Debbie's fake tan is that she's not your average young woman. If Dobbeh was supposed to be the TOWIE type of girl the fake tan would be appropriate. But she's a mother of two young children, one baby and a child who has cancer. She was often portrayed looking quite unkempt, with messy hair but the fake tan was always there.

Other actresses have adapted their appearance to the character they're playing.Lesley Dunlop shaved her head. Rhona and Brenda look like they are at the end of their tether. They don't look like between cancer treatment, burying her child, having an overdose and becoming a fake Lesbian, they managed to slot in an appointment for a spray tan. I think professional actors adapt their physical appearance to the role they have to portray.

Amy is a different story as looking an orange mess was a part of the character and deliberate. She's wearing loads of foundation, eye kohl and that thing in her hair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind the fake tan thing. It's not like it would take her long (some of these machines do them in about ten minutes, and it's a drop in thing), and I think the spray on ones last quite a while. So it's not like she's had to spend an unbelievable number of hours away from Sarah to get it done. I would imagine it's the kind of thing people do for ten minutes of 'me' time and to help put a brave face on the world when they're going through situations like that.
  • Options
    QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they're all fabulous, most of them anyway - Zoe Henry, Charley Webb, Lucy Pargeter are among the list
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree; Victoria is evolving as a very interesting character. If the producer would get rid of Ali, Rachel. Sean and Amelia, we would have a very strong cast on Emmerdale.
  • Options
    avaconradavaconrad Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree; Victoria is evolving as a very interesting character. If the producer would get rid of Ali, Rachel. Sean and Amelia, we would have a very strong cast on Emmerdale.

She is but she will always be a sidekick to Amy which is a shame, I would much prefer Victoria to have her own storyline and prove what a good actress she is.

She is a bit like Nicola is really good at doing comedy but doesn't get much chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is but she will always be a sidekick to Amy which is a shame, I would much prefer Victoria to have her own storyline and prove what a good actress she is.

She is a bit like Nicola is really good at doing comedy but doesn't get much chance.

Maybe she'll become involved with this upcoming Adam story, if she still has feelings for him. It would be good for her to get a story where she's in the lead, though. Ruby's the same although
    I think she has a pregnancy one coming up. It's just a shame she'll be lumbered with Ali during it.
    . I think it's hard for them to know what to do with Victoria. She's not daft enough to get herself into the situations Amy does, and yet she's perhaps a bit too young yet for some of the stories other characters get -they just wouldn't ring as true with a younger character. I can't see her developing a drink or drug problem. Like everyone else, she's confined to working in the village, so that rules out her travelling to Leeds or wherever for a job or university. I can see why she might be a difficult character to build a strong story around, at the moment.
  • Options
    star89star89 Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with Debbie's fake tan is that she's not your average young woman. If Dobbeh was supposed to be the TOWIE type of girl the fake tan would be appropriate. But she's a mother of two young children, one baby and a child who has cancer. She was often portrayed looking quite unkempt, with messy hair but the fake tan was always there.

Other actresses have adapted their appearance to the character they're playing.Lesley Dunlop shaved her head. Rhona and Brenda look like they are at the end of their tether. They don't look like between cancer treatment, burying her child, having an overdose and becoming a fake Lesbian, they managed to slot in an appointment for a spray tan. I think professional actors adapt their physical appearance to the role they have to portray.

Amy is a different story as looking an orange mess was a part of the character and deliberate. She's wearing loads of foundation, eye kohl and that thing in her hair.

Charley has been on holiday recently so it might not all be fake tan.
  • Options
    Redhead69Redhead69 Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you. I really want to like Debbie, but can't. I cant put my finger on it, but I just can't warm to her. Lesley and Zoe have been amazing.
  • Options
    FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    I agree with those praising Charley. Se has one of the hardest characters to play, she has a high wall up, and not often do we see glimpses behind it. While other actresses are allowed to use the whole emotional scale, Charlie isn't. But when we see behind Debbie's harsh exterior, Charlie does it beautifully.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's hard for them to know what to do with Victoria. She's not daft enough to get herself into the situations Amy does, and yet she's perhaps a bit too young yet for some of the stories other characters get -they just wouldn't ring as true with a younger character. I can't see her developing a drink or drug problem. Like everyone else, she's confined to working in the village, so that rules out her travelling to Leeds or wherever for a job or university. I can see why she might be a difficult character to build a strong story around, at the moment.

I agree with the style of character they've built up with Victoria there isnt really much they can do! She shouldn't have a storyline for the sake of it she needs one that has merit and purpose and can be really effective that adds something to her character! I think Amy is by far a more interesting character but Victoria could do with that storyline that can take her out of that rut that has lasted 3 producers and began 18 months BEFORE Amy arrived!

Overall i agree the female cast in ED is amazing, I do think Charley Webb is great and prodcues some good stuff but next to the likes of Chelsea Halfpenny, Lucy Pargeter, Laura Norton, Michelle Hardwick, Zoe Henry, Emma Atkins and Lesley Dunlop she is down the pecking order i reckon!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natalie Anderson is also brilliant when given the opportunity. Unfortunately she's been stuck in a boring storyline for almost two years.
  • Options
    _BollyKnickers__BollyKnickers_ Posts: 4,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natalie J Robb is phenomenal, looking forward to seeing more of her over the autumn.

Agree with those praising Isabel Hodgins too, think Victoria should definitely have more scenes.

Generally yes, I think the show has a strong female cast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the style of character they've built up with Victoria there isnt really much they can do! She shouldn't have a storyline for the sake of it she needs one that has merit and purpose and can be really effective that adds something to her character! I think Amy is by far a more interesting character but Victoria could do with that storyline that can take her out of that rut that has lasted 3 producers and began 18 months BEFORE Amy arrived!

Overall i agree the female cast in ED is amazing, I do think Charley Webb is great and prodcues some good stuff but next to the likes of Chelsea Halfpenny, Lucy Pargeter, Laura Norton, Michelle Hardwick, Zoe Henry, Emma Atkins and Lesley Dunlop she is down the pecking order i reckon!

Have to say Chelsea was fantastic in that scene last week where bratty little Belle was trying to harass her into seeing Kyle. I thought her reaction was really moving. I could have slapped Belle into next week though.

Personally I quite like Amy and Victoria's friendship - it seems very natural. I think Victoria is a difficult character to build soapy stories around - she's just not going to get pregnant, turn alcoholic or have a drink problem:D She could be that rare thing in soaps, a well balanced younger adult:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally yes, I think the show has a strong female cast.

In comparison the male cast is quite weak. Many of them are supporting characters in female-led storylines. They are often written as bumbling, clueless, henpecked, boring.

The only male character who stands out is Steve.
  • Options
    glen20glen20 Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In comparison the male cast is quite weak. Many of them are supporting characters in female-led storylines. They are often written as bumbling, clueless, henpecked, boring.

This is often the case in soaps - strong women paired with weak men. It would be nice if the tables were turned for a bit in order to generate an equilibrium.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moira's great, even in her clunky farm boots.

Really like Alisha too, but not with dullard Dom.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Emmerdale has the best female cast of all the soaps.

Zoe Henry is acting the life out of her storyline. Nice to see what she can do when given proper stuff. (Just give her all the awards she deserves) Michelle Hardwick is brilliant, Natalie J Robb, Chelsea Halfpenny... I could list list them all, but thankfully most of you already have! lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to say Chelsea was fantastic in that scene last week where bratty little Belle was trying to harass her into seeing Kyle. I thought her reaction was really moving. I could have slapped Belle into next week though.

Personally I quite like Amy and Victoria's friendship - it seems very natural. I think Victoria is a difficult character to build soapy stories around - she's just not going to get pregnant, turn alcoholic or have a drink problem:D She could be that rare thing in soaps, a well balanced younger adult:D

I like the friendship to, although they could do with more scenes where they are having a laugh, getting into mischief, generally acting there age just like they were about 2 years ago! Its the only real solid friendship on that show! Everyone else either falls out with there mates or barely talks to them! :D

Aye the male characters arnt really being done any favours this moment just like you've said being written like complete and utter goons! The only one that is being written as a strong no nonsense sort is the amazing Steve, someone who is actually using intelligence effectively to get what he wants, its very interesting to watch!

The rest need a better more straight forward direction and some need thrown in the dumpster!