Options

someone has bred our dog without permission

llama1llama1 Posts: 66
Forum Member
Hi,
despite the title it wasnt done intentionally.
we had a friend look after our dog while we were on holiday, her 2 bitches were in heat at the time and at some point she allowed them all out at the same time unsupervised and rather unsurprisingly she found them at it!
we offered to pay any vet costs at the time which she turned down.
Today the litter is being born so we asked if we could have one, her response was "are you asking if you can buy one?" which we wernt, our dog is no pedegree he was found on the streets but as i understand it by convention she should have paid a stud fee and its quite common for that fee to be pick of the litter.
we just want a puppy but clearly she is just thinking about the money being all hers, it would be messy for our daughters friendship if this ended up in small claims court.

can anyone reccomend what our options are?

Comments

• Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but you have no rights in this situation.
    Just because your dog is the sire gives you no legal rights over his offspring!

Why did you leave your intact dog with someone with two intact bitches???

I suggest you use the money you may have spent on a put to have your dog neutered if his health allows.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crazy idea to leave your dog with two bitches in heat :eek:

Hopefully she will use some of the money to get her bitches spayed. How much is she charging for the mongrel pups?
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised people pay for mongrel puppies:confused:
    I'dve thought they'd be "free to good home" like moggies are.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People pay for stud services of health tested pedigree dogs not cross breeds. And I am afraid you have no rights at all in this mess. Just hope the dogs are being neutered and the pups will be eventually too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the input guys

sorry not familiar with the legalities, just going on advise from others not to pay and that it should actually be the other way round, perhaps that is for a dog with paperwork being intentionally bred.

yes perhaps we were too trusting that she would look after our dog appropriately knowing the situation in the house, all dogs involved are crate trained so she could have let them out seperate

these are shorkie pups so as i understand it a desirable mongral

as said we didnt ask her to breed him, it just happened, but it seems harsh she can profit from failing to look after him (though no doubt hed think he was looked after really well)

that said it really isnt about money, wed just like a pup to keep our rescue mutt company
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the rescue you got your dog from not mind you breeding from him. We set down strict rules about not breeding from the rescues.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the blazes is a shorkie?

Apart from being a made up word
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ask her to drop you one off as she takes the unsold pups to a rescue.
  • Options
    Fizzee RascalFizzee Rascal Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the blazes is a shorkie?

Apart from being a made up word

Half Shetland Pony half chocolate bar.

They're quite popular in France I believe.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Half Shetland Pony half chocolate bar.

They're quite popular in France I believe.;)

lol i feel sorry for the poor guy attempting that cross!

http://www.petguide.com/breeds/dog/shorkie/
    its a shih tzu X yorkie cross - though i understand that some people need that piece of paper to show an animal love

we rescued him ourselves, found him on street, tracked down his owners who told us they didnt want him back

anyways, i can see im clearly wrong so ill trot on
    thanks for the help guys
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what you are really saying here is that you suspect she deliberately allowed the mating to occur so she could profit by selling the puppies?

Whilst its true you probably have no legal rights to a puppy, its a bit mean of her to do this.
    Not sure I would want to continue a friendship with someone if they had acted in this way.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    The way i look at it, if your dog is in tact, sooner or later theres a chance puppies will be born. Even if you hadnt left the dog with that woman it wouldnt take much for him to breed whilst at the park etc.

You sound more annoyed that you arent profitting from the poor pups than you do about any of the dogs involved.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was no legal contract that can be enforced but out of courtesy she should offer you one of the pups as a thank-you for the services rendered.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    I'm surprised people pay for mongrel puppies:confused:
    I'dve thought they'd be "free to good home" like moggies are.

Virtually no such thing anymore. When looking for Winnie we never found anyone giving kittens away. It's not a bad thing though, if people are willing to pay £50 then there's more chance of them taking care of them properly rather than mis-treating them because they got the kitten/puppy for free.

I'd like to think, at least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    Virtually no such thing anymore. When looking for Winnie we never found anyone giving kittens away. It's not a bad thing though, if people are willing to pay £50 then there's more chance of them taking care of them properly rather than mis-treating them because they got the kitten/puppy for free.

I see your thinking but i see it completely differently.

My parents have never paid for a kitten before. All the ones they have had have been given free (or taken but thats a different story).

Someone i know got a kitten last year and paid £30 for it. Whilst i appreciate that paying means theres more chance you will care for it, i cant see past the people breeding cats as a business. The place they got theres from was recomended by someone else who gets kittens from them. Its basically a family who keep breeding adult cats to sell the kittens at £30 a go, and they dont seem short of customers.

Sad really when the shelters are full of kittens but everyones buying them from this private seller. Probably because most of them wouldnt be suitable to have a cat which is why they avoid shelters in the first place.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »

I got my adult cat from Cats Protection for a £65 donation. But they neutered her and gave her inoculations for the year so effectively she was free. I assumed kittens were the same, but maybe they don't come neutered/vaccinated if still kittens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    I got my adult cat from Cats Protection for a £65 donation. But they neutered her and gave her inoculations for the year so effectively she was free. I assumed kittens were the same, but maybe they don't come neutered/vaccinated if still kittens.

At our local shelter if for any reason the animal hasnt had vaccinations or been neutured, they give you a voucher so when they are old enough the vets will do it for free. You have to use the vets which the shelter use but essentially its still free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    So what you are really saying here is that you suspect she deliberately allowed the mating to occur so she could profit by selling the puppies?

Whilst its true you probably have no legal rights to a puppy, its a bit mean of her to do this.
    Not sure I would want to continue a friendship with someone if they had acted in this way.

It sounds like that to me. Funny that the two breeds make up one of these crazy new designer types :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »

No, not at all, i just consider it careless that she allowed the situation to develop

of course now she is throwing at us the fact that she dog sat for free (not very well imo) and that she has costs to cover regarding pregnancy, we offered to pay some of these when we first found out but she said it was fine unless there were complications, presume this was cos she thought she could make costs back selling them.

of course now she is complaining that this was first season she could have bred her bitch and now cant till 2015

so essentially complaing we have cost her money cos she failed to stop it!

arrgh if only it were so simple, our daughters are friends
    Tt88 wrote: »
    The way i look at it, if your dog is in tact, sooner or later theres a chance puppies will be born. Even if you hadnt left the dog with that woman it wouldnt take much for him to breed whilst at the park etc.

You sound more annoyed that you arent profitting from the poor pups than you do about any of the dogs involved.

yeah fair point but he never leaves his lead, as mentioned he has a habbit of wandering the streets unless we keep a very close eye on him, so we do.

nope not at all as stated wed just like a puppy as we were going to buy a puppy from a breeder before we found this one.

also a very brief search of the internet lead me to believe that the convention for "stud fee" was the sale price of puppy or a puppy.
    im sure shed still make a few £ giving one away to live with the father.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    she may have taken advantage but sorry its your fault you left an entire dog with her

well the fact that your dog came from a rescue and was unneutered is frankly disgusting, if you were trusted to neuter the dog the rescue should have checked up on it. If the dog is still unneutered it should be in your rescue contract that they can take him back after this incident as what you did is negligent to say the least.

I wonder how many of the poor things will be PTS or end up in rescue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    well the fact that your dog came from a rescue and was unneutered is frankly disgusting, if you were trusted to neuter the dog the rescue should have checked up on it. If the dog is still unneutered it should be in your rescue contract that they can take him back after this incident as what you did is negligent to say the least.

I wonder how many of the poor things will be PTS

IIama found the dog wondering on the street so it didnt come from a shelter.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    JJ75 wrote: »

well that's some blessed relief that there is not a negligent rescue involved
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It sounds like that to me. Funny that the two breeds make up one of these crazy new designer types :rolleyes:

no just a coincidence, and unfortunate circumstance and
    as you know without paperwork it wouldnt be considered too valuable.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Deleted...not relevant.
  • Options
    Forum Member

exactly, i found a dog took it in and looked after it for 18 months so far and am now prepared to take on one of his puppies, which has no real value without paperwork.

yet somehow i feel like the bad guy here!

nevermind, i can see that i was wrong and hopefully all his pups will go to loving homes