Will Young calls for word gay to be banned from schools

BunionsBunions Posts: 15,016
Forum Member
✭✭
As a slur of course - not the word in general.

He has taken up the issue with the Education Secretary Michael Gove and is working with Stonewall to set up a programme to train teachers:

http://news.sky.com/story/1153908/will-young-calls-for-end-to-gay-as-school-slur

Comments

• Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, will it become their word, like the N word with black people?

I am anti prejudice and no one should be allowed to bully anyone in this way but when used in the way suggested in the article, isn't it actually more of a colloquialism rather than suggesting some benign activity or an inanimate objuect is homosexual or lesbian which in itself is odd anyway? But is that a reason to 'criminalise' the word gay?
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for him. It doesn't feel right that the word is used to mean rubbish or inferior. How about if the n word was used or Jew was taken up in the same way? I am sure teachers and parents would soon let kids know it's not right.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when I was about 9/10 and my school banned the use of the word cripple.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think not.

Its just the way the language evolved. I remember when gay meant happy and something being sick wasnt a good thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know he means well but I think its pretty unenforceable. I do totally agree that children should be educated from a young age should be taught tolerance but is this really the best way to go about it?
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    The subtleness of language means that the playground insult "gay" has a tenuous link to actual gay people.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    Good for him. It doesn't feel right that the word is used to mean rubbish or inferior. How about if the n word was used or Jew was taken up in the same way? I am sure teachers and parents would soon let kids know it's not right.
    I agree.

School is difficult enough for kids for many reasons and the ones who are becoming aware or are already aware that they are gay certainly don't need the added grief.

Good for Will for putting this 'elephant in the room' out there.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Bunions wrote: »
    I agree.

School is difficult enough for kids for many reasons and the ones who are becoming aware or are already aware that they are gay certainly don't need the added grief.

Good for Will for putting this 'elephant in the room' out there.
    I agree the kids who are becoming aware do not need to think that gay=bad
  • charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think gays should be banned from using the word gay unless its to say somethings cheery and happy. You certainly cant describe homosexuals as that as theyre always moaning about some perceived inequality
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    I thought the insult "Jew" as in "You Jew!" meant tight, or mean with money?

No you getting mixed up with Scot ;) Not true by the way!
  • Vicky.Vicky. Posts: 5,948
    Forum Member
    How on earth would this be enforced? Seriously?

Teachers already pull up kids on use of homophobic language and stuff. It just means kids watch their mouth when teachers are around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    charger21 wrote: »
    I think gays should be banned from using the word gay unless its to say somethings cheery and happy. You certainly cant describe homosexuals as that as theyre always moaning about some perceived inequality

Now would you have called the suffragettes always moaning ? History has taught us that many did
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure kids will come up with new words, they can be very inventive when they want to be. I really don't think banning words is the answer, where does it end? Educate them to be kind and tolerant towards others, just handing them a list of banned words isn't going to make any difference.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    No you getting mixed up with Scot ;) Not true by the way!

It was always used to mean somebody tight round this neck of the woods.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't Gays appropriate the use of this perfectly good word, for their own purposes, now they don't like it.?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vicky. wrote: »

Teachers already pull up kids on use of homophobic language and stuff. It just means kids watch their mouth when teachers are around.

It's not about enforcement , it's about education! Educating children to know what is wrong. As someone mentioned further up the word cripple is no longer an everyday insult so it can be done
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Didn't Gays appropriate the use of this perfectly good word, for their own purposes, now they don't like it.?

Not when it's used as a slur. Context, and all that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vicky. wrote: »

I think it will be impossible. I agree with the reasoning behind it but the best thing to do would be to educate rather then enforce. Rather then banning a word teach kids about homophobia and acceptance.

on top of that as someone has said he word has a very tenuous relation with homosexuality itself. As kids we constantly said something was gay, we never meant it as a homophobic insult its just how the word have evolved.
  • JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridicuous initiative from Will Young. Language evolves, deal with it.
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once again we have another "celebrity" making some sort of statement or airing his/her opinion and the media immediately sits up and takes notice and gives it great publicity.

Why should they take any more notice of this Will Young or any other "celebrity" than any other person who has an opinion?

This "celebrity" status of a singer, actor, songwriter makes him no more important and his opinion should count for no more than Joe, the guy who wraps up the chips at the local chippy.
  • Jon OJon O Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what name will they use instead of gay? I can think of a couple which are quite insulting
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Career flagging a bit there Will? Nothing like a bit of free publicity, is there?
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    If enough people start using the words "will young" as a disparaging term, can we get it banned.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »

I always thought it a poor choice of word and not one I would have chosen. Something more subtle like 'aran' or 'salis' that can never be confused with some other meaning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon O wrote: »
    what name will they use instead of gay? I can think of a couple which are quite insulting

Maybe they'll go back to the myriad of disability ones.