Locked Out of Laptop (Windows Log In Screen)

steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am trying to help a friend fix a problem on their Fujitsu Windows 7 (Home Premium) Laptop and could use some help. The problem is that it gets up to the Windows Log in screen, the one with their picture in the centre and a box below asking for password with the 'ease of access' on the left and 'shutdown' on the right. Anyway, when they enter their password (yes, they have double checked it) it seems to log in for a second (the "welcome" comes up) but then a Windows pop up saying "The user profile service service failed the log on. User profile cannot be loaded" The double 'service' isn't a typo it actually says service twice. The only option here is "ok" and pressing that boots you back out to the log in screen.

The laptop has the recovery discs but it warns on the front that using them will delete all user data and the person has some data they want to keep so don't really want to use the recovery disc. I do have my own Windows discs, i.e. the proper Windows 7 not just recovery and was wondering if I could use them to do some kind of repair but my Windows 7 is the professional version not home premium and I cannot tell if the laptop has the 32 or 64 bit version either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Will it start in safe mode ?, if so choose admin account.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Will it start in safe mode ?, if so choose admin account.

I couldn't get it to, maybe didn't have the key (F8) held down at exactly the right time but I tried a couple of times. Do you need to press the laptops function key first or will the default behaviour be the F1-12 keys?
    Forum Member
    Keep tapping F8 as it is booting.
    Do you need to press the laptops function key first

No.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You often have to press F8 several times to get it to register. Don't press and hold it down though as that is not likely to work.
  • Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this usually refers to a problematic profile, if you can log on with the local admin (or possibly safe mode, but different account than your own) then you can reset it or atleast check the registry key - hklm, microsoftnt, windows, current version, profile list ...
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    If you can log into the Administrator account in safe mode. this article from Microsoft will hopefully solve you problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

I have used method a above on a work colleagues PC in safe mode to resolve a login issue.
    After doing this I created a second login account on the PC with administrator privileges to make getting into the PC easier if it happened again.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie666 wrote: »
    this usually refers to a problematic profile, if you can log on with the local admin (or possibly safe mode, but different account than your own) then you can reset it or atleast check the registry key - hklm, microsoftnt, windows, current version, profile list ...

Thanks, I'll check that if I can get into it. I have helped them with other problems on this same laptop, typically they seem to have a habit of downloading free programs and trial software (which of course can be dodgy or silently install other things) and end up with it running very slow and being cluttered with useless tool bars and system tray icons, so was wondering if it might have been something they installed messing with the normal Windows processes.

Have suggested when I get into it just copying the data they want off it and doing a clean install as there is a lot of junk on it.
    Forum Member
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not copy over the data onto a external hard drive ot a memory stick and the format the hard drive with the recovery discs.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,419
    Forum Member
    The administrator account workaround was only for XP Home Edition. From Vista onwards the account is disabled by default.

If you download Hirens Boot CD you can use this to reset/enable accounts as well as pull any important data off the hard drive.