Christopher Eccleston is being disrespectful

Comments

• johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    All other the actors (I don't know about Hartnell) seemed to have revelled in having such a prestigious high profile lead TV part, loved by both kids and adults.The impression I get with Eccleston is that it was just another acting job and that is why some fans are not endeared with him.
    I don't think there's any evidence that he saw it as "just another" acting job - I don't think he could be in any doubt how much of a spotlight would be cast on it, successful or not - but an acting job is what it was. The impression I've always been left with is that Chris is an actor's actor - he acts for the love of the job, rather than for the adulation or prestige.
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a friend whose son had leukemia when he was young, he is a massive Doctor Who fan. She wrote to Christopher Ecclestone (who was the Doctor at the time) and he actually took the time to visit him at home for tea and had loads of photos taken with him. So I will not hear a bad word said about him.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Chris Ecclestone was as involved with the project as the other doctors which is why he lasted only a year. They said at the time he was only ever going to do a year. He is a jobbing actor who would never want to do any series for any amount of time before moving on. Plus he seems to have had problems with the producers. I think with that in mind I don't think he really belongs in the 50th. Moffat said that McGann was like a little child in keeping the secret of a 7 minute episode. He has done many audio series so really should have been involved. I thought the Night of the Doctor was excellent in every way because he obviously wanted to do it.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christopher Eccleston is always happy to talk DW when he meets fans. He speaks highly of the show and his pride in the role, and always refuses to be drawn on some of the backstage problems which affected his year.

He treats Doctor Who and its fans (especially the younger ones, as Dodger0703 states, above) with utmost respect and is aware that the Doctor is a huge part of people's lives.

I think he recorded a message for fans at the BFI event, recently, so he is certainly not shying away.

There's absolutely no reason why he should return for the 50th, and the show will carry on without him. Just as happened 30 years ago with Tom Baker. He's under no obligation to return to the role when his career continues to grow and expand and take him in new directions.

Christopher Eccleston is my favourite C21st Doctor: he was at the front of the show when it returned and became the biggest thing on telly. I would love to meet him and acknowledge that to him and, no matter how much I would love to see him return, it's wrong to grumble at him.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Chris Ecclestone was as involved with the project as the other doctors which is why he lasted only a year. They said at the time he was only ever going to do a year. He is a jobbing actor who would never want to do any series for any amount of time before moving on. Plus he seems to have had problems with the producers. I think with that in mind I don't think he really belongs in the 50th. Moffat said that McGann was like a little child in keeping the secret of a 7 minute episode. He has done many audio series so really should have been involved. I thought the Night of the Doctor was excellent in every way because he obviously wanted to do it.

I don't think any of us really know why he only did a year! All .we know is, he did a year and it was both pivotal and superb.
  • Flash81tFlash81t Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Thamwet wrote: »
    It saddens me that he's so negative about his time on DW, because he was truly fantastic.

Whilst I understand totally that he had his reasons for leaving (mainly being that the on set atmosphere was apparently horrible) I think it's wrong of him not to do the 50th. Old William Hartnell was DYING but he made the effort to return for the 10th anniversary. Chris is, as far as we know healthy, yet he can't bring himself to put in a few hours for the 50th.

It's not a good attitude for a former doctor to have, regardless of the reasons behind it. I don't want to dislike him, but I'm afraid I now do. Someone should have reminded him of Hartnell.

I totally get that he (rightfully) disliked the way things were run behind the scenes. I totally get that he doesn't want to be typecast (well, I don't know what he was expecting when he took on the role.) And I totally understand his apparent reasons for not wanting to come back. But he should have swept all of that under the bridge for such a special occasion. That's my own feeling anyway.

I bet David Tennant and Matt Smith dislike his attitude very much and I can imagine that some very bitter words have been exchanged about him by all of the surviving doctors.

What a load of poppycock, CE has never been negative about his time on Who, he mostly says positive things in the interviews I have read! Yes he had an issue with some of the things that happen back stage on a show like this, but tha has never stopped him from saying great things about the show in general and how proud his is to have been a part of it.

As for typecasting, CE is the sort of actor that is very adapt at playing a whole raft of characters, one of the ways he manages this is by choosing the roles he plays very wisely, making sure not to play too many of the same roles, or playing the same role too often. This is his profession after all and he is perfectly within his rights to manage it as he sees fit.

As for him choosing to take on the role of the doctor, that is exactly what he did( taking on the role was a massive gamble, the last time someone tried to revive the show all we got was a lackluster pilot), we should count our lucky stars he did take the role, as without him the chances of the show getting made, let alone being successful enough to get recommissioned for more series, where not exactly high.

As for any obligations he may have in your mind( and the minds of other simpletons, who give Whoviens a bad name), they are totally your fabrications( and of those like you), he has done his time on the show and has moved on, fair play to him. Yes it would be great to see him back on the show( along with many other former doctors and companions) , but we should all respect his choices.

in regards to you hypothetical rantings about Smith, Tennant and the rest of the docs disliking CE in some way, all I can say is what a load of rubbish.

I will end this rant on a thought for you, how many yeas has it taken us to get an 8th doctor regeneration scene, there is still a chance we will see 9 again one day, but with so called "fans" like you, I could totally respect him if he never wanted to play the doctor again.
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course, a lot of people on here seem hell-bent on believing that Eccleston refused to do the 50th out of sheer spite or because he 'just couldn't be bothered'. He's a well known actor. For all we know he could have declined being in the 50th because he had previously committed to something else which was being done at the same time.

And also, considering the shock appearance of McGann in NOTD, how do we know he ISN'T in it?
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he WILL pop up for a brief second just to complete the regenerations..if he doesn't i'm not bothered.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Feeling the pull of tradition, some fans had wanted to see all 11 Doctors somehow reunited, or at least the post-revival trio of Christopher Eccleston, Tennant and Smith. Such poly-Doctoral plans were scuppered when Eccleston declined to appear. Moffat had met him for a "very amiable and gentlemanly" conversation and the actor considered it "quite seriously" before saying no. "It's just not the sort of thing he does," concludes Moffat. "The ninth Doctor turns up for the battle but not the party. But Chris was perfectly sweet and kind about it. And contrary to what was written at the time he in no way messed us around."

Guardian
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, a lot of people on here seem hell-bent on believing that Eccleston refused to do the 50th out of sheer spite or because he 'just couldn't be bothered'. He's a well known actor. For all we know he could have declined being in the 50th because he had previously committed to something else which was being done at the same time.

And also, considering the shock appearance of McGann in NOTD, how do we know he ISN'T in it?

Eccleston didn't decline due to other commitments, and unless there was some major moves made during shooting to make up for several bad decisions made during pre-production negotiations, he won't be appearing in new material, sadly.
  • Flash81tFlash81t Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Eccleston didn't decline due to other commitments, and unless there was some major moves made during shooting to make up for several bad decisions made during pre-production negotiations, he won't be appearing in new material, sadly.

How can you possibly know this?

please quote sources, not just random babble, to back up your claims.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash81t wrote: »
    How can you possibly know this?

please quote sources, not just random babble, to back up your claims.

Because he actually met up with Moffat to discuss what his involvement in the episode would be, then he considered it and then ultimately declined.

All from Moffat's mouth.

There was no schedule conflict, he simply didn't want to appear. For what exact reason we may never know.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    All from Moffat's mouth.

This is the precise problem because it was that exact same mouth who has said more recently than the whole Eccleston thing that, and I quote, "I've lied my a*se off", in reference to questions thrown his way across the whole of 2013.

Though I'm inclined to believe we won't be seeing Eccleston at all, I still wouldn't rule it out entirely. The extent they went to keep McGann a secret was sensational... even the BBFC were in on the secrecy!
  • Becky_BBecky_B Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    adams66 wrote: »
    No way will Ecclestone be in it, but there's always a chance that Eccleston might be. Just like Peter Davison is a possibility but there's no chance of Peter Davidson appearing...

Is it so hard to spell names correctly?

Both Ecclestone and Davidson MIGHT appear.

If the Restoration team do the credits :p
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the precise problem because it was that exact same mouth who has said more recently than the whole Eccleston thing that, and I quote, "I've lied my a*se off", in reference to questions thrown his way across the whole of 2013.

Though I'm inclined to believe we won't be seeing Eccleston at all, I still wouldn't rule it out entirely. The extent they went to keep McGann a secret was sensational... even the BBFC were in on the secrecy!

I'd believe it if he simply said Eccleston won't appear, like a few of the other Doctors but him putting in all of the detail to stress that he asked him but Eccleston himself declined makes me think it's not.

But the point of my previous post wasn't about whether he'll appear or not but the fact that if he doesn't, it's not because of a schedule conflict but because Eccleston doesn't want to.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You keep alluding to these bad decisions, but you never say what they are. Considering some of the uninformed bile that other people have got away with posting about Moffat and Eccleston in recent months, why can't you just tell everyone the truth?

At the moment, your posts come across as "Everyone would agree with me, if only you were all privy to The Dark Secrets of Forbidden Mystery, like I am." It's virtually impossible to debate or discuss anything with someone who hints cryptically at secret "smoking gun" evidence, as nothing they say can be verified or refuted.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 quoted the Guardian:

Feeling the pull of tradition, some fans had wanted to see all 11 Doctors somehow reunited, or at least the post-revival trio of Christopher Eccleston, Tennant and Smith. Such poly-Doctoral plans were scuppered when Eccleston declined to appear.

Poly-Doctoral is the best phrase I have heard for months, and I feel this thread (which is just going round in circles anyway) should be closed in its honour.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why doesn't everyone wait till the episode airs, then you'll know for sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You keep alluding to these bad decisions, but you never say what they are. Considering some of the uninformed bile that other people have got away with posting about Moffat and Eccleston in recent months, why can't you just tell everyone the truth?

At the moment, your posts come across as "Everyone would agree with me, if only you were all privy to The Dark Secrets of Forbidden Mystery, like I am." It's virtually impossible to debate or discuss anything with someone who hints cryptically at secret "smoking gun" evidence, as nothing they say can be verified or refuted.

Fair enough fella. Let me explain it this way.

The truth will out, maybe sooner rather than later (and I think this story will be more "out there" than Eccleston's Series One matters), however more and more people out there, if you look for the info (and remember DS is not the be all and end all of Doctor Who chatter), are singing from the same hymn sheet I've been repetedly told by multiple sources - Eccleston did not turn the idea of apearing in DotD down flat, quite the reverse.

Genuinely, I'm sorry if people feel frustrated by me not citing sources - if you don't wish to listen to what I say as a result, no worries, not if don't want to or because I'm not citing who I know - BUT I'm getting absolutely sick of people ragging on Eccleston, when I know his non-involvement was that close to being a very different story.

Also, I'd point out there's PM-ing for a reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please just say it's not the "BBC clerk didn't send an email on time" story or similar ridiculous nonsense. Because that was hilarious :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    Has it not occurred to anyone that he might actually appear? McGann went on record several times saying that he hadn't been invited to take part in the 50th in any possible way yet we've now been given 'The Night of the Doctor' in which he returns to the role. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Chris pop up near the end of the episode (albeit briefly) to regenerate from Hurt.

Also, it's not really up to anyone here to say it's disrespectful. It's disrespectful of you to say it actually. It's his choice, his life, and if he wants to step back and stay away then that's up to him. Just because Doctor Who is an integral part of your life it doesn't mean that it is his. Just because he once played the Doctor doesn't mean he is tied to the role for the rest of his life for the sole purpose of pleasing the fans. He had a good run, a good series with some good stories. He's never put the show down and he's been VERY respectful towards the show and the fans in the way that he's handled the issues which he clearly had with the team working on the show when he was the lead. He's never felt the need to divulge the details or bemoan anyone and I think that's very good of him. He's a good man and I wish people would just leave him be; if he really doesn't want to come back then that's up to him and you should respect his decision.
    Eccleston did not owe the show anything. He acted a part, and he acted it well. He did what was required of him, that's all you're entitled to. He doesn't criticise the show, in fact he rather actively praises it from time to time rather endearingly, and despite the fact that he very clearly had problems with the production of Series 1 he has remained professional and keeps those matters to himself and those it concerns.

Just because he won't come parading back on screen to a role he left nearly a decade ago now, it doesn't mean he's being disrespectful at all. For reference he's my own favourite Doctor, and I would have absolutely have loved to see him back in the role even for 5 minutes... but I'm not bitter against the man for making the decision to turn down the role... the how's and why's are nothing to do with us.

Dislike him all you want, I'm sure that neither he nor the vast swathe of existence that is the internet fan base, really doesn't care. Go back and enjoy the Series 1 DVD's or something and sweep your demands under the bridge rather than demanding he sweep his morals under his.

Roll on the Anniversary and it's surprises...including a potential appearance from Eccleston as we really don't know! Positivity ftw!

Wow, I'm ranty... that's new :D:p

At last!! Two people talking sense. To an actor, it's sometimes no more than a job. Their whole life doesn't revolve round Dr Who. An actor may inhabit a part when doing it. But when it's over it's over, and they move on. Either through choice or at the hands of the producers. As a previous poster said. He did a sterling job during his time on the show. If he no longer wants to be involved, that's his choice.

As he was a well-established actor before Dr Who. I can understand, it may have been just another part to him. For me, what's worse is an actor who refuses to have anything to do with, or refuses to talk about, the show, or part they played, which made their name. Now that is disrespectful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Please just say it's not the "BBC clerk didn't send an email on time" story or similar ridiculous nonsense. Because that was hilarious :p

There were two opportunities to get Eccleston on-board - and I think given what happened at the eleventh hour (no pun intended), you know more than you're saying. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were two opportunities to get Eccleston on-board - and I think given what happened at the eleventh hour (no pun intended), you know more than you're saying. ;)

Your pun is erased from DigitalSpy.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Your pun is erased from DigitalSpy.
    Are we talking about someone with a surname often shouted by Superintendent Chalmers? Was there a connection between the failure to get Eccleston(e) and that person's departure?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are we talking about someone with a surname often shouted by Superintendent Chalmers? Was there a connection between the failure to get Eccleston(e) and that person's departure?

It was something that was there a while ago. I don't remember the details. Probably nothing. There are so many nonensical ideas out there about Chris' involvement - when we all know what he thinks about going back to stuff.

Maybe I should pretend to know the facts and start a thread ;)