Is being married the ideal relationship status for raising children?

Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
Forum Member
https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/409802612091789312/photo/1/large

Sir Coleridge says in the Telegraph that people have no right when it comes to children, only duties, and marriage is the best way to ensure those duties are fulfilled.

Meanwhile, the Mail refers to a father allegedly denied the right to have contact with his daughter due to his ex-partner.

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/409807255668654080/photo/1/large

I'm personally undecided on the issue. I certainly believe that parental stability is optimal to a decent childhood, but whether marriage is a panacea, I'm unsure.

Comments

• Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Being married does not equal happy, stable relationship with or without children.

There is no difference between being brought up by married or unmarried parents.

Marriage just means the couple have legal rights when it comes to split and death.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Married, not married, cohabiting whatever. Being a respectful person that gives love, nurture and teaches respect to others I find to be a better basis for child rearing than a piece of paper.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Had I never married I would now be in a MUCH better financial position to raise my daughter.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People had children before marriage was invented.

I'm pretty sure that some people have even had, and raised, children successfully whilst married to someone who wasn't the other parent.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I thought children needed loving and stable families. I don't see how marriage makes any difference to the provision of such a family.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He didn't actually say that being married was, without more, the best thing for raising children. He said that couples who did not feel their relationship was strong enough to cope with children should not have children. Which is obviously good sense. He also suggests that those who are in relationships strong enough to cope with children should consider getting married, because marriage comes with certain legal benefits for the children, especially if the marriage breaks down.

His other point was that parents have no rights when it comes to children, only responsibilities. This is obviously true. Children are not property. They are little human beings. They are not 'yours'. You just look after them till they can look after themselves.

The link in the OP seems on its face a very worrying story. The family courts need to assert their authority more. Parents who refuse to obey court orders need to be punished. If the woman in that case really has broken 82 orders, then frankly she needs to go to prison.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    No, I don't think marriage really makes a difference to how children are raised.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    No, what a nonsensical, outdated notion. Providing a stable and loving environment to children is a far, far bigger priority than the marital status of the parents.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. :)
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Sir Coleridge says in the Telegraph that people have no right when it comes to children, only duties, and marriage is the best way to ensure those duties are fulfilled.

Meanwhile, the Mail refers to a father allegedly denied the right to have contact with his daughter due to his ex-partner.

I'm personally undecided on the issue. I certainly believe that parental stability is optimal to a decent childhood, but whether marriage is a panacea, I'm unsure.

Blimey, what a curious mish-mash of disparate concepts, all mangled together to provide opposing viewpoints. :confused:

The rights of a parent to have access to an existing child are nothing whatsoever to do with the "right" of people to have kids to begin with, and then the "duties" and "responsibilities" mentioned are those which a parent has toward an existing child.

Frankly, I don't care if people are married, single, gay, straight, living on a hippie kibbutz or part of a flying circus as long as they are able to provide for any kids they have.

Which means not dropping one sprog after another cos there's nothing good on the telly and insisting you have a "right" to have them while you're living on benefits.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry PC people, but it should be obvious to all that marriage is best.

But it is becoming more of a middle class thing with males afraid of taking responsibility and committing themselves.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me personally yes. We made the decision to get married before starting a family. What works for others maybe different to myself.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Yes. :)

why?.
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fred and Rosemary West were married. So were that couple who set their house of fire with their 6 children inside it.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting married is the result of a stable relationship, not a cause of it.

If it was the other way around then merely by marrying families would become more stable - which is clearly untrue
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Married, not married, cohabiting whatever. Being a respectful person that gives love, nurture and teaches respect to others I find to be a better basis for child rearing than a piece of paper.

This, exactly this.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Stability and loving parents are the most important thing, not marriage itself. I believe in the family ( including gay & lesbian couples ) but not in the type of marriage the church pushes, if that makes sense. My niece's parents split up when she was about 4 or 5 and what's been most important for her is stability and routine - she spends the school week with her mum and the weekend with her dad / grandparents and that routine is never disrupted except for during the school holidays.

I certainly think a child has the right to see both its biological parents on a regular basis ( unless they're abusive ) and because of that, I'm unsure about sperm donation, if it means a child never knows it's biological father.
  • shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose what the thread starter should also have asked was:

Are you glad your parents were married?
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Sorry PC people, but it should be obvious to all that marriage is best.

But it is becoming more of a middle class thing with males afraid of taking responsibility and committing themselves.

You don't explain why.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Statistically yes it is, that's a fact!

That's not to say that every marriage is the ideal relationship status for children though...
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My partner and I have been together 22 years and have raised our kids in a loving home. Has it ever mattered that we are not actually married? Not really. My siblings were both married twice, all our friends who got married are now divorced. Marriage does not equal stability for kids but being in a loving relationship married or not does. I'm in no way against marriage but my partner and I are secure enough in our relationship that we just don't feel the need. I think it's amusing that someone said one of the reasons for getting married when starting a family is so that the legal rights regarding the kids are clear if you split up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, what a nonsensical, outdated notion. Providing a stable and loving environment to children is a far, far bigger priority than the marital status of the parents.

IIRC, that's what the evidence supports.

Of course, these people are more likely to have successful, long-term marriages but it's the stable and loving environment that matters, not whether they're married.

There's an error of reasoning involved with this conclusion too. They look at children who do well and find that more of their parents are married and then infer that marriage is therefore the cause of successful outcomes for children. That's actually reasoning back-to-front! (It's a case of the Affirming the Consequent fallacy if anyone likes fallacy spotting :D).
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I am old and decrepit, but when I was at school kids took the pee out of others not in a (Normal) married family. Nought as cruel as kids was true then and maybe still is now.
    If all is happy and stable in a loving relationship, give me a reason NOT to get married. I my opinion its only fair on the children.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with his core message. Don't have kids if you're not in a strong stable relationship that you feel will last the distance. Unfortunately most people believe that to be true even in the run up to a relationship breaking down.. and being married doesn't force couples to stay together anymore like it perhaps once did. But I agree with the message that couples who aren't stable shouldn't have kids.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hut27 wrote: »
    I know I am old and decrepit, but when I was at school kids took the pee out of others not in a (Normal) married family. Nought as cruel as kids was true then and maybe still is now.
    If all is happy and stable in a loving relationship, give me a reason NOT to get married. I my opinion its only fair on the children.

To my knowledge, no one really cares if kids parents are married or not. When I was younger, I called my friends parents "Mrs ... or Mr ..." now my kids friends call me by my first name, times change. I don't feel my partner and I have been unfair to our children by not getting married. We have been there for them and have provided a stable family home for them from day one and shall continue to do so. If all is happy and stable in a loving relationship, give me a reason TO get married.