Options

Apple Mac turns 30

Mac geeks out there will be happy: http://macdailynews.com/2014/01/20/30-years-ago-apples-macintosh-changed-the-world-forever/

I for one will be wearing my black turtleneck to celebrate :D Hard to believe it's been 30 years! The original Mac was way ahead of its time. It brought GUI interfaces to the mass market and changed computing forever.

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will you be eating a McIntosh apple in celebration?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-25826316
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Maybe, if my local supermarkets have any :p If the original Mac hadn't been released, would we all still be using text-based OSes or would we eventually have had some sort of GUI?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe, if my local supermarkets have any :p If the original Mac hadn't been released, would we all still be using text-based OSes or would we eventually have had some sort of GUI?
    Very probably considering Microsoft were working on Windows in the early 1980s about the same time as Apple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Very probably considering Microsoft were working on Windows in the early 1980s about the same time as Apple.

Yeah but Windows wasn't really usable until the 3.1 era. From what I've seen of early Windows versions they looked awful. It was basically a glorified DOS shell. I wonder what the computing scene would look like now without Macs?
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »

they both visited Xerox didn't they, who had been working on GUI long before either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah but Windows wasn't really usable until the 3.1 era. From what I've seen of early Windows versions they looked awful. It was basically a glorified DOS shell. I wonder what the computing scene would look like now without Macs?

the early versions of Mac OS weren't all that great either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    they both visited Xerox didn't they, who had been working on GUI long before either.
    Quite likely. Xerox had a basic GUI going in the 70s.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generally i'd say that at the time most companies were looking at what each other was doing and trying to work out what worked and what didn't and not just windows/mac there was also GEM for PC, the *nix X windows variants as well on SGI/Sun etc and i can even remember some CPM based UI's very distantly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Generally i'd say that at the time most companies were looking at what each other was doing and trying to work out what worked and what didn't and not just windows/mac there was also GEM for PC, the *nix X windows variants as well on SGI/Sun etc and i can even remember some CPM based UI's very distantly

and let's not forget the ghastly OS/2 Warp!
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and let's not forget the ghastly OS/2 Warp!

Warp was a lot later and wasn't bad just it never had the support as only IBM wrote the drivers generally and they were generally for IBM kit which wasn't too bad if you were an IBM site already but the cost of IBM stuff was pretty high unless you had a good accounts manager
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Warp was a lot later and wasn't bad just it never had the support as only IBM wrote the drivers generally and they were generally for IBM kit which wasn't too bad if you were an IBM site already but the cost of IBM stuff was pretty high unless you had a good accounts manager

i had it on a PC (1994-ish), came pre-installed, it was awful.
    same time as windows 3.11 was around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there was also the Amiga and Atari ST OS's.
    all GUI's and worked reasonable well for the hardware at the time.
  • Options
    TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there was also the Amiga and Atari ST OS's.
    all GUI's and worked reasonable well for the hardware at the time.

The Atari was Gem as well:

The GEM Desktop was an application program that used AES to provide a file manager and launcher, the traditional "desktop" environment that users had come to expect from the Macintosh.

Unlike the Macintosh, the GEM Desktop was based on top of DOS (MS-DOS, DOS Plus or DR DOS on the PC, GEMDOS on the Atari), and as a result the actual display was cluttered with computer-like items including path names and wildcards.

In general GEM was much more "geeky" than the Mac, but simply running a usable shell on DOS was a huge achievement on its own. Otherwise, GEM has its own advantages over Mac OS such as proportional sliders
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the early versions of Mac OS weren't all that great either.

I had an old Mac Performa once running Mac OS 7.5 (or was it called System back then?) and the OS was awful. It crashed a lot and was really slow. It was revolutionary and ahead of its time in the 80s but Windows 3.1/95/98 were probably better than Mac OS 7 or 8. I think the launch of OSX changed the Mac forever.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

GEM was not half bad, I had in on an Amstrad 1640 :)
  • Options
    Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GEM was nice, I really liked it. The only application I had that ran on it was a DTP called Ventura.
  • Options
    Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Contrary to popular belief Apple did not steal the concept of the GUI from Xerox.

Both Apple and Microsoft were shown the concept in the same year.

Apple bought a development license in s share swap deal. Microsoft declined.