Artists who hate their own songs.

Comments

• Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member
    Girls Aloud hated 'Love Machine' when they first recorded it and were dead against releasing it as a single. I think they love it now though.

Have you heard the first version of Love Machine, bloody hell I love Xenomania but it was truly dire lol completely unrecognisable lyrically.
  • spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Havent read the link so sorry if I am repeating?

I am pretty sure Wet Wet Wet hated "Love Is All Around" and deleting the single from the charts back in the day
    Marti Pellow recently said about it..but explained it was nice to give it a rest and doesn't mind it now

Did Gnarls Barkely hate Crazy?

Melanie C I am pretty sure hates "I Want Candy" as she never sings it now?

and back to Girls Aloud - I heard rumours they didn't like "I Think We're Alone Now"
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KT Tunstall hates her Eye To The Telescope album...she dismissed it as "frivolous pop"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the Spice Girls would like to forget
    "(How Does It Feel To Be) On Top Of The World"

and Mel B forgot she ever released "Word Up"..it could mean she hates it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kate Bush apparently hates Oh, England My Lionheart which is such a shame as it's a truly beautiful song.
  • mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the band will think that it mainly appeals to bandwaggon jumpers. They want to perform for their real fans, if there are people at a concert who only know one song, in one way I guess it's a bit insulting to the artist.

A friend of mine went to a Kings of Leon concert, and she genuinely only knew 'Sex on Fire'... she only went because someone had a spare ticket. And from the band's point of view, they want to put on a good show for the people who genuinely love them, so won't be too fussed about those who are just there because the band are flavour of the month. Though there's a long way from that to 'wanting to chin someone' as Gallagher said.

A true professional will put 100% into all the songs, whether they like them or not, because everyone's paid them to perform, real fan or not.

The most `insulted` of all artists known for one song is probably Chuck Berry. His biggest hit in the UK is/was `My Ding a Ling` in 1972 I think,so one of the founders of rock and roll and legendary (mainly to fans and musicians) for a brace of songs that
    are probably the most important in the 20th Century is known by most for a risque children`s nursery rhyme! Mind you I think he gets paid--in cash--before his gigs so as long as that happens he`s happryu--but wonder if he ever plays My Ding a Ling?
  • mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    “It’s Only Love” and “Yes It Is”, both primarily written by John Lennon, are two of my favourite Beatles tracks. Lennon allegedly hated both these songs.

He hated/or didn`t rate `D`you Wanna Know A Secret?` which is one of my favourites--I like all the early Beatles stuff--and gave it to George Harrison to sing. Anything he gave to other artists,or George or Ringo, he didn`t rate. Lennon was just trying to be `cool` later on and certainly most of these aren`t `cool` songs.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one put guns to their heads when they wrote and/or recorded these songs and they certainly don't refuse the royalty payments, so its a bit rich of acts to complain about them. I could never understand why REM got so sniffy about shiny happy people.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about "hate", but I'm sure I read that Cher wasn't the biggest fan of "Just Like Jesse James".
  • cashloot147cashloot147 Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeb Atlas wrote: »
    They were also against 'See the Day' being released as a single calling it old fashioned.

They were right, a dreadful single. Along with Long Hot Summer and I Think We're Alone Now, the only three bad songs they ever released.
    Have you heard the first version of Love Machine, bloody hell I love Xenomania but it was truly dire lol completely unrecognisable lyrically.

Worse lyrically?? No way is this possible. Do you have a link? I think I need to hear this!!!

I'm sure I read once that Billie Piper hated all of her songs.
    Forum Member
    They were right, a dreadful single. Along with Long Hot Summer and I Think We're Alone Now, the only three bad songs they ever released.

Worse lyrically?? No way is this possible. Do you have a link? I think I need to hear this!!!

I'm sure I read once that Billie Piper hated all of her songs.

Love Machine demo.. I did warn you.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9OnFF7IE8Aw
  • brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girls Aloud hated 'Love Machine' when they first recorded it and were dead against releasing it as a single. I think they love it now though.
    They also didn't want to release "No Good Advice".

And when they were looking at first single choices (before the group were chosen) I think it was only Javine and one other who picked Sound of the Underground.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    brumilad wrote: »
    They also didn't want to release "No Good Advice".

And when they were looking at first single choices (before the group were chosen) I think it was only Javine and one other who picked Sound of the Underground.

But No Good Advice was a good song! (imo) :) Sound of the Underground was a cracker, it's amazing how fresh it still sounds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brumilad wrote: »
    They also didn't want to release "No Good Advice"

Are you sure that is true. I have only heard them say they HATE the video..NOT the song itself
  • ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink said she doesn't like the songs on her first R&B album a while ago but she performed a medley of them on her most recent tour for the first time in years. I love those songs...! But she said something about them not representing 'her' as an artist.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    “It’s Only Love” and “Yes It Is”, both primarily written by John Lennon, are two of my favourite Beatles tracks. Lennon allegedly hated both these songs.
    mevilhoney wrote: »
    He hated/or didn`t rate `D`you Wanna Know A Secret?` which is one of my favourites--I like all the early Beatles stuff--and gave it to George Harrison to sing. Anything he gave to other artists,or George or Ringo, he didn`t rate. Lennon was just trying to be `cool` later on and certainly most of these aren`t `cool` songs.

I think it just depended what mood he was in. If he got bored while writing a song and had to finish it half-heartedly then it left a bad impression in his mind about it.
    Basically that if he got bored of it then it can't be that good of a song.

I think his least fave Beatles song of his own though was Run For Your Life, as he disliked the whole message it sent across. I think George Harrison liked it though which is possibly why it ended up on the album. lol
  • aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Eternal's greatest hits came out, all 3 girls admitted to Live and Kicking magazine that they cannot stand 'Save Our Love.' Kelle even said it was the worst song on their entire debut album, despite being a top 10 hit. I'm not sure how Louise felt about it though.

Amy Winehouse once told an interviewer that a track called 'Amy Amy Amy' on her album 'Frank' was total crap, or words to that effect.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ali1234 wrote: »
    Pink said she doesn't like the songs on her first R&B album a while ago but she performed a medley of them on her most recent tour for the first time in years. I love those songs...! But she said something about them not representing 'her' as an artist.

She said that her first album didn't truly represent her as an artist. She said she also felt she was being pushed into another Britney/Xtina when it was not her.

On the flipside I believe Xtina dislikes her debut also as she had no creative control and similarly felt it didn't represent her as an artist. And again Britney has shown dissatisfaction toward her earlier material especially hating the North American cover of ...Baby One More Time http://stardomreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Britney-Spears-Baby-One-More-Time-Album-Cover.jpg.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney absolutely hates "Sometimes", I don't remember where but I saw/read an interview where she said it's her least favourite single and she hates to perform it, hence why it hasn't appeared on the setlist for any of her tours since about 2001 lol.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the band will think that it mainly appeals to bandwaggon jumpers. They want to perform for their real fans, if there are people at a concert who only know one song, in one way I guess it's a bit insulting to the artist.

A friend of mine went to a Kings of Leon concert, and she genuinely only knew 'Sex on Fire'... she only went because someone had a spare ticket. And from the band's point of view, they want to put on a good show for the people who genuinely love them, so won't be too fussed about those who are just there because the band are flavour of the month. Though there's a long way from that to 'wanting to chin someone' as Gallagher said.

A true professional will put 100% into all the songs, whether they like them or not, because everyone's paid them to perform, real fan or not.

You need to separate the artist from the performer here. The artist needs to create not stagnate, so the real artist will not want to simply replay the old hits again and again, they need to move on creatively.

An artist doesn't write and perform just to make money, that's the by product of being an artist. And I don't see why the real fans won 't progress with the artist. Any way great artists like Van the Man, Lou Reed, Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, Joni Mitchell can revisit their old work and present it anew, so it's not just the old stuff.
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keisha and Mutya (Sugababes) apparently dislike most of their Xenomania tracks, including Ace Reject, Round Round and Red Dress. I don't think they got on very well with the Xenomania team, which might be part of the reason. And Keisha has also said she 'hated' Easy and that Get Sexy 'shouldn't have happened'.

Nicola from Girls Aloud nominated The Loving Kind for worst single of the year at the Popjustice Twenty Quid awards. And I don't think any of Girls Aloud like Sexy! No No No...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bon Jovi have have said they dislike the whole of their second album and it remains the only album they do not play any songs from, since the tour they did for it.

although it is true they have a dislike for the album they have played songs (toyko road and only lonely )from it since the year they toured that album (7800 Fahrenheit). 2010 being the last time
    Forum Member
    kryskrys wrote: »
    Keisha and Mutya (Sugababes) apparently dislike most of their Xenomania tracks, including Ace Reject, Round Round and Red Dress. I don't think they got on very well with the Xenomania team, which might be part of the reason. And Keisha has also said she 'hated' Easy and that Get Sexy 'shouldn't have happened'.

Nicola from Girls Aloud nominated The Loving Kind for worst single of the year at the Popjustice Twenty Quid awards. And I don't think any of Girls Aloud like Sexy! No No No...

To be fair, Keisha often likes things, then dislikes them, then likes them again. Her mood about things changes depending on who is around her, that's just her thing lol. I've heard before Mutya hated Red Dress, but nothing about them disliking the Xenomania stuff. I think everybody agrees Get Sexy shouldn't have happened, but I did quite like Easy.
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madonna famously hates True Blue and seemingly, would rather pretend it never existed.

She's also got no love lost for Gambler, which despite writing it herself I think she now these days says she doesn't remember the words if asked to sing it.
  • Gambit_is_aceGambit_is_ace Posts: 9,458
    Forum Member
    ABBA don't like Summer Night City.