Options

If youhad a horribly disabled child.Would you keep them or put them up for adoption?.

U96U96 Posts: 13,937
Forum Member
✭✭
I've often wondered how difficult it must be to have a child that will live out their life in pain and misery.And that's before your own life becomes intolerable.
The stress,the financial pain,the life on hold,the heartache.the misery.
Countered with the love of the child.The parental bond,the will to do your best for them.
Not judging either way.Just wondering how other people think.

PS.No one can see your vote.:cool:

If you had a horribly disabled child.Would you keep them,or put them up for adoption? 181 votes

I'd keep them.I owe it to them.Flesh and blood.
57% 104 votes
I'd put them up for adoption.I couldn't stand the stress.
16% 29 votes
I'd give it a go.See how it works.Keep options open.
11% 20 votes
Not sure.It's a tough one.
15% 28 votes

Comments

• Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Disabled or not, the child would be my son or daughter and it would be my responsibility to care for them no matter what.

That's what parenthood is all about.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly don't know.

I'd like to think that I would keep him / her, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to cope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Disabled or not, the child would be my son or daughter and it would be my responsibility to care for them no matter what.

That's what parenthood is all about.

I don't have any children.So I'm not really qualified to comment on this subject.
    But I can only imagine myself in the position.To be frank.I couldn't be bothered with the hassle.
    I guess that's the difference between having children and not.I can't relate to parents real world feelings/bonds..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly don't know.

I'd like to think that I would keep him / her, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to cope.

It must be the hardest thing in the world.I take my hat off to parents who crack on with it.Truly they are good people.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    I don't have any children.So I'm not really qualified to comment on this subject.
    But I can only imagine myself in the position.To be frank.I couldn't be bothered with the hassle.
    I guess that's the difference between having children and not.I can't relate to parents real world feelings/bonds..

Unfortunately, we live in a world where people increasingly think about no one but themselves and are encouraged to do so.

I'm sure it would be incredibly difficult to cope with a severely handicapped child, but as their parent you have to find a way of coping.
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no way I'd be able to walk away and let strangers raise my child like that. It would be hard and I'd need help, but it's the only way I'd be able to cope.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It must be the hardest thing in the world.I take my hat off to parents who crack on with it.Truly they are good people.:)

Indeed and part of me thinks if I was unable to cope, wouldn't it be better for the child to be with someone that could? Would it be more selfish of me to keep them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately, we live in a world where people increasingly think about no one but themselves and are encouraged to do so.

I'm sure it would be incredibly difficult to cope with a severely handicapped child, but as their parent you have to find a way of coping.

I see a lot of stories on the news about such things.I always feel happy that the parents are doing their best.But underneath,i feel they are just putting on a brave face for the cameras.I imagine them lying in their beds at night thinking 'why us?,why me?.,what did we do wrong?'.'We have a good life,and now it's all gone tits up'.
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was optional and I knew before the birth, I would say, No, every Parent wants a normal birth, but if its not, then so bit it, but I would keep them if I didn't know!
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I would try to keep them at home as they are your child , however if the level of their illness meant they required round the clock nursing and medical care for their quality of life then I would have to agree to them being in a medical environment for their sake but not adoption.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some DS members have disabled children or even parents. They seem to cope well.

Look at some of the posts from this DS member. I've never seen him complain about looking after his disabled family, quite the opposite. I don't know how he does it. I admire him.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/member.php?u=456780
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Mum said to me that if she could see my disability at birth she;d have left me there and quite honestly, if, heaven forbid, I fell pregnant, I would not want it........ there is no place for people with serious disabilities in this world any more and I would not want the burden :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I see a lot of stories on the news about such things.I always feel happy that the parents are doing their best.But underneath,i feel they are just putting on a brave face for the cameras.I imagine them lying in their beds at night thinking 'why us?,why me?.,what did we do wrong?'.'We have a good life,and now it's all gone tits up'.

That's kind of the point I was making.

The child is your child and it is your job to care for them. People who do look after a disabled child are putting them first. How ever difficult it might be to care for a disabled child, it's not half as difficult as it is for that child to get through each day.

It would break my heart to look at my severely disabled child each day and think about how much of life they will miss out on. The last person I'd be thinking about is myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    There's no way I'd be able to walk away and let strangers raise my child like that. It would be hard and I'd need help, but it's the only way I'd be able to cope.

Good on you.I'm a bit of a selfish hard hearted shitter when it comes down to it.
    Maybe that's why I'm on my own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed and part of me thinks if I was unable to cope, wouldn't it be better for the child to be with someone that could? Would it be more selfish of me to keep them?

A lot of people would be greatful to raise even a severely disabled child as their own.
    Personally.i'd have them adopted rather than have a poor upbringing with parents who cursed the day they were born.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of people would be greatful to raise even a severely disabled child as their own.
    Personally.i'd have them adopted rather than have a poor upbringing with parents who cursed the day they were born.

I would say the same for any child, far better in a family home where you are wanted and cared for with love than in a home where you may be fed , clothed and watered but not loved or wanted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Personally I would try to keep them at home as they are your child , however if the level of their illness meant they required round the clock nursing and medical care for their quality of life then I would have to agree to them being in a medical environment for their sake but not adoption.

It must be extremely difficult to arrange your working life around caring for the child.I guess you'd have to give up your job,your income.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    My Mum said to me that if she could see my disability at birth she;d have left me there and quite honestly, if, heaven forbid, I fell pregnant, I would not want it........ there is no place for people with serious disabilities in this world any more and I would not want the burden :cry:

Brave post.Good on you.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Adoption.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    There are some DS members have disabled children or even parents. They seem to cope well.

Look at some of the posts from this DS member. I've never seen him complain about looking after his disabled family, quite the opposite. I don't know how he does it. I admire him.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/member.php?u=456780

Indeed.The folk who re-arrange their lives to cope with lifes unexpected events should be applauded.I don't think they get enough support from the system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's kind of the point I was making.

The child is your child and it is your job to care for them. People who do look after a disabled child are putting them first. How ever difficult it might be to care for a disabled child, it's not half as difficult as it is for that child to get through each day.

It would break my heart to look at my severely disabled child each day and think about how much of life they will miss out on. The last person I'd be thinking about is myself.

Good stuff.People forget that they might be disabled,but they still have feelings.Fear,happiness,sadness etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I would say the same for any child, far better in a family home where you are wanted and cared for with love than in a home where you may be fed , clothed and watered but not loved or wanted.

Very true.There are so many good kids with bad parents out there.
    Churn them out and deny any responsibility.I call them 'Breeders'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adoption.

That's what I'd do.
  • Options
    Winchester LadyWinchester Lady Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an offensive choice of words, "horribly disabled". Shame on you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an offensive choice of words, "horribly disabled". Shame on you.

There's always someone offended by something on here.