Hair care - how do you do yours?

jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sooooooo...... what products do people use on their hair other than the standard shampoo & conditioner? I have been browsing Amazon & Boots & getting more & more perplexed by over night creams, serums, etc etc :blush:

Comments

• DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tressemme shampoo and conditioner and permanent dye every 2 or 3 months. I should really use a serum on my hair and blow dry it straight but I can't be bothered.
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have the dye problem but I do have fine hair & it gets very dry after washing & conditioning, hence looking into oils, serums etc...wonder if overnight cream is going a bit too far though :p.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've gone from hair long enough to sit on to a #1 once a month. Due to that, and because I suffer from eczema, I use Alphosyl 2 in 1 and a sponge.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Shaving gel and a Mach 3 razor.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever the Mrs buys, not that I need much.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alphosyl or T-gel.

Comb and shake, sometimes give it a random blow with the dryer, but mostly don't.

I lighten it a couple of times during the winter when it looks mousey.
  • TOOTandcomeinTOOTandcomein Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Olive oil :)
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    I don't have the dye problem but I do have fine hair & it gets very dry after washing & conditioning, hence looking into oils, serums etc...wonder if overnight cream is going a bit too far though :p.

Coconut oil is supposed to be good, or is it olive:confused:

Anyway, I don't see that it's going a bit far if your hair is very dry.

I slap moisturiser on my body with gay abandon and get through tons of the stuff.

I'm lucky with my hair though.
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shampoo and conditioner every 2 days. After towel dry and use a VO5 serum and blow dry.

I trim my own hair every couple of months.
  • PenelopePopcornPenelopePopcorn Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I go to the hairdressers every couple of months to get roots done and highlights and at home I only use shampoo - any kind, no conditioner or anything else. :)
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooo a lovely light thread! Aussie thickening shampoo. Elvive extra firm root lifting mousse. Blow dry then gigantic rollers sprayed with hairspray for as long as I can stand them in my hair. Blast with the hairdryer. Style long and long layered. Regular restoration to my natural blonde, well it was ONCE! Tie it up when manky and I can't be bothered with the faff . :D:D
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shampoo and conditioner for highlighted hair (John Frieda for blonde hair or Timotei), Kiehls straightening balm before drying and straightening, then John Frieda shine serum. If the weather is dry, I sometimes use a tiny bit of Black & White to make the flyaways lie down, if it's rainy or damp, a bit of John Frieda Frizz Ease spray works better.

I'm very vain about my hair, it doesn't seem to age like the rest of me (apart from being grey if not coloured) it's very thick and cut in a sleek bob.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Shouldn't this thread be at mumsnet?
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Always a pooper!:p
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the shower, H&S, out the shower, done.:D
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    L'Oreal Fibrology shampoo and conditioner, followed by Revlon Equave leave in conditioner. Ends are dry as I rarely get it cut.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have very long and very fine hair, which gets greasy quickly. The only shampoo and conditioner that I've found in recent years which works for me is Aussie Luscious Long, which isn't too heavy, but leaves it well conditioned. Lots of other shampoos and conditioners make my hair really greasy and lank, but if I don't condition, it gets very tangled.

My hair is down to the top of my bum, but the ends are very thin and weak. I'm trying to grow it longer, so I'm trying to keep it in decent condition. I wear it in a plait for bed, or it gets ridiculously tangled and roughed up. I tend not to use many products at all for styling - I have a quick blow with the hairdryer, but don't use curlers or straightening irons (they damage my hair and get tangled in it) or styling products (they all seem to make my hair greasy within a couple of hours).

I do dye my hair, but I gave up on chemical dyes a couple of years ago after I started having reactions to the dye (I've been dying since I was 17, and I'm 41 now). I daren't go back to my natural colour as I've got a lot of greys and it's so long it would take years to grow out, so I dye with henna now. Messy, but leaves my hair very shiny and soft.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    First I rub a bit of soap on my head when I'm in the shower... and then I do the same thing again a couple of days later.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tresemme Split Remedy shampoo and conditioner... And I have a sea salt texturising spray that I use in the mornings sometimes.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use shampoo and conditioner from Aldi - they're big fat bottles and look very similar to the Tresemme shampoos and conditioners. I've got shoulder length hair and I use John Frieda Frizz Ease Serum when I blow dry and straighten it. Then when it's done I spray it with hairspray. Sometimes I also use another John Frieda product but I can't remember what it's called.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »

You probably need an intensive conditioner once a week. Hot oil treatments are quite good. Yes, an overnight treatment might Be a good idea.
    Serums don't really condition as such but they help to protect the hair from heat and to give a smooth finish.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have fine quite frizz-prone shoulder length naturally curly hair. It gets dry easily. Hence this frankly erring on ridiculous routine.

Naked Shampoo (sulphate etc free)
    Deep conditioning treatment thing (Lee Stafford something or other)
    Naked conditioner
    Naked deep conditioner
    Squeeze out water
    Naked leave in conditioner
    Argan oil
    Lee Stafford curl cream
    Naked serum
    Usually air dry. Will put in Velcro rollers and give it a blast if feeling especially faffy.

Yes, in theory, having fine hair, my hair should be like a grease ball by doing all of that. In reality, I can go 4 days without washing it (even with putting more argan oil on it to tame flyaways) and then string that out another couple of days with dry shampoo. Washing it more than about once every 3 days is just disastrous.

And all I ever get asked at the hairdressers is: 'have you ever thought about straightening your hair?'

Cause frying it with heat will do wonders for its dryness, and considering how fine it is, at least the frizz/curls give it some bulk!
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a lady ;-).
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    You probably need an intensive conditioner once a week. Hot oil treatments are quite good. Yes, an overnight treatment might Be a good idea.
    Serums don't really condition as such but they help to protect the hair from heat and to give a smooth finish.
    Yeah the one the hairdresser put on made it look quite greasy, which I'm not necessarily against :p as my hair is 'wild & frizzy ' after washing, I see the intensive conditioner's help with this so I might try it- do you leave it in or wash it out?
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever Shampoo and conditioner I like the smell of and that's it.
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use Jason Shampoo and Conditioner, either the Biotin one or Hemp, depends on my mood.
    Then I have several creams and oils I use depending on what I need to do to my hair. I use Dr Bronners Lavender and coconut creme if my hair is dry. I also have pureology instant repair stuff, and pureology precious oil.
    I've also got Bumble and Bumble Brilliance for wavy hair days.