Options

Abused by Jimmy Savile? Claim your £60,000 here!

Scott ChegScott Cheg Posts: 393
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27103873

'Justice' in its new form. :o

Comments

• Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does waving at me on a Radio 1 roadshow count?
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    So you can accuse without trial and claim money?? how can this be British justice? will this open yet another floodgate of accused when there is no evidence?
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    The true nature of these allegations is laid bare.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "awaits the inevitable TV add".

In the 1970s, horrific abuse took place at the hands of britians most prolific peadophile. . You could be eligable for a large lump sum. please call 0800 to start your claim.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No but Kerry Katona will be calling in after all he "perved at me on a railway station".
  • Options
    Forum Member

I would suggest you have had more interaction with him than most of these 'claimants'...
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    How much evidence do you need to collect this windfall, I mean compensation ?
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Oh how I wish I'd never missed out on my opportunity to be on Jim'll Fix It. :(

I wrote the bloody letter and a bunch of my mates got to go to Madame Tussauds to see their Star Wars exhibit and meet Dave Prowse dressed up as Darth Vader but I couldn't go cos I had Chicken Pox. :(
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Savile Will benefactors might just as well kiss their inheritance goodbye.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    These people are like Man City fans.

You hear nothing from them for 40 years then al of a sudden they're all piping up.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Scott Cheg wrote: »
    I would suggest you have had more interaction with him than most of these 'claimants'...

Some may well be chancers and that will have to be determined via an investigation.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    The Savile Will benefactors might just as well kiss their inheritance goodbye.

Will the money actually come from his estate?

In the case of Hollie Greig, for example, she was (IIRC) given compensation for being abused despite the fact that nobody was ever charged with any offences.
    One would have to assume the compo' comes out of the public purse in those sort of cases.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    It's taken well over 30 years, but my Jim'll Fix It letter of please could you fix it for me to be rich so I can buy lots of sweets has finally been answered.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    The court ordered the adverts to be placed in newspapers and the story clearly states that claims will be scrutinised by lawyers for the estate as well as the court itself.

If spurious claims are made then hopefully they will be weeded out - but I would rather some were paid than the many victims of Saville went uncompensated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    The court ordered the adverts to be placed in newspapers and the story clearly states that claims will be scrutinised by lawyers for the estate as well as the court itself.

If spurious claims are made then hopefully they will be weeded out - but I would rather some were paid than the many victims of Saville went uncompensated.

Why do any of them need 'compensated'? Justice being replaced by cold hard cash... Is a new car going to make the fact that he allegedly abused them any better? If so then that in itself speaks volumes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder if there's a sliding scale of payment?

a) Put arm round me on Top of the Pops - £5,000
    b) Sat me on his knee on Jim'll Fix It - £5,000
    c) Touched me anywhere on the body at Stoke Mandeville - £7,000
    d) Asked me to "Smoke his cigar" - £8,000
    etc
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    No but Kerry Katona will be calling in after all he "perved at me on a railway station".

Don't forget he once put his arm round Colleen Nolan.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    I wonder if there's a sliding scale of payment?

a) Put arm round me on Top of the Pops - £5,000
    b) Sat me on his knee on Jim'll Fix It - £5,000
    c) Touched me anywhere on the body at Stoke Mandeville - £7,000
    d) Asked me to "Smoke his cigar" - £8,000
    etc
    :D:D:D
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Why do any of them need 'compensated'? Justice being replaced by cold hard cash... Is a new car going to make the fact that he allegedly abused them any better? If so then that in itself speaks volumes.

It might make them feel better about it yes - that's one reason why criminal compensation is used in many cases. Having a tangible acknowledgement from his estate and the BBC can assist with closure for people, as well of course to go towards any costs or losses they may have occurred as a result of the assault. Ignoring any false claimants for a moment, and given that Saville is dead - would you not think that doing something to give these victims some kind of justice is a good idea, even if it just money?
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
    Forum Member
    My understanding is that there were 3 firms of lawyers acting on behalf of claimants. One of the firms has bought out or merged with the other 2 firms meaning all the current 139 claimants are going through one firm of solicitors, who I assume are on a fixed fee or more likely a percentage?

I believe the firm of lawyers acting on behalf of the claimants have already been paid £20,000 from the Estate to cover some expenses. The trustees of the charity have been excluded from the negotiations.

I believe also among claimants will be institutions such as the NHS, who will claw back from the Estate any money they pay out to individuals.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think karma can be a bitch, if someone is going to claim something as vile as sexual abuse falsely, they'll get bitten on the ass one day. It's like lying about a death in the family to get time off work for an out of town trip or something, it's asking for trouble.

To those who are genuine claimants, monetary compensation is about all that's left, the guy is dead so a "conviction" is pretty much moot.
  • Options
    Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the worst way possible to go about getting justice for abuse victims. It will just attract greedy opportunists and calculating fantasists.

It's a horrendous plan, and I can't believe it's happening.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Despite my suspicion about the majority of these claimants, I have no issue with the principle of cash as compensation generally. It's the easiest, cheapest and most convenient way of making recompense in any claim for being wronged. In an ideal world, you might think that the perpetrator ought to do something for the victim to put things right, but often that is neither welcome nor practical, so a cash payment, which has universal spending power to provide the victim with whatever they need or want to feel justice has been done, is the way forward.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think karma can be a bitch, if someone is going to claim something as vile as sexual abuse falsely, they'll get bitten on the ass one day. It's like lying about a death in the family to get time off work for an out of town trip or something, it's asking for trouble.

To those who are genuine claimants, monetary compensation is about all that's left, the guy is dead so a "conviction" is pretty much moot.

Dont know his reputation has been trashed and he is no longer remembered fondly. I think if I had been abused that would be enough for me. I would not want his "dirty" money that he earned while abusing others.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Will the money actually come from his estate?

In the case of Hollie Greig, for example, she was (IIRC) given compensation for being abused despite the fact that nobody was ever charged with any offences.
    One would have to assume the compo' comes out of the public purse in those sort of cases.
    No idea tbh though i can't see "joe blog taxpayer" being too happy if it's left to us to stump up!