Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argentina 1978
  • Options
    Keren-HappuchKeren-Happuch Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Why do women not just get a C section? I don't know why women would actually want to go through that sort of ordeal really.

I think people forget a c-section is major surgery, and the pain can still be really bad. I've known someone who said she couldn't lay down properly for months afterwards. They're, generally speaking, more dangerous for the mother. Not all women find childbirth incredibly painful - I've been with someone who was chatting and laughing through all of it until she started pushing, and I've been with lots of other women who coped really well. Anyway, you can't just "get" a c-section, it doesn't work like that. Unless you're willing to pay thousands of pounds for it.

The worst pain I've ever had is period pain. It was horrendous from the age of 13-18, I remember when I was 13 I was screaming so much I think my neighbours must have thought I was being murdered, and it felt like my insides were slowly being wrenched out. No painkillers touched it and I regularly threw up and passed out. Fun times. I still get it but not as badly, ibuprofen and a hot water bottle do the trick. Still hurts like a bitch but it doesn't make me want to kill myself anymore.

After that, it was when I pulled a muscle in my neck - that was pretty horrific. I couldn't move my head a millimetre without having massive spasms, and it was agony. My neck didn't feel quite right for up to a year afterwards, it would ache sometimes. I still get the occasional twinge now, particularly if I'm stressed.

I sprained my ankle and tore a ligament last year and weirdly I didn't find it painful at all. Uncomfortable but not painful.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was hit by a car and broke my leg in two places, but the pain of that was totally insignificant compared to the rib that scraped my lung... Its so bad that you literally hold you breath until you start to pass out...

The only saving grace is that I was on such high doses of drugs that I wasn't really aware of what was happening for four days.

In the end I was in hospital for almost six months...
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I broke my leg and that was rather painful, but the worst pain I've ever felt was either when I had the most agonising toothache in a wisdom tooth before it was removed or when I drilled a hole in my finger last summer - the drill tore through the flesh and then started drilling a hole in the bone. That certainly made my eyes water.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Why do women not just get a C section? I don't know why women would actually want to go through that sort of ordeal really.

You cannot just "get" a c-section (unless you go private), you have to have a very good physical and / or psychological reason to need one and this has to be OK'd by consultants etc...

Also, why would anyone willingly want to undergo surgery???

Childbirth is painful but a woman's body is designed to do it. If you are not cut out for it then don't have a child (or stop at one if it was that bad an experience first time around) although as you can see lots of women will say labour is horrendous yet they have several children.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Having gallstones. I've never felt pain like it.
  • Options
    winter99winter99 Posts: 16,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this thread is making me queasy
  • Options
    linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jane-hen12 wrote: »
    The current sprained ankle I have at the moment. Literally burst into tears the second it happened, which is completely unlike me (normally I swear a bit then make a joke!)
    Straight to the hospital cos I was lying in a road with it...all the staff there were suprised it wasn't broken.

Still feeling it 2 weeks on. I swear breaking my wrist wasn't this bad...

Snap! (pun not intended :o) :D

I had to sit in A & E for over 2 hours waiting to be seen, only to then get sent off - or rather I hopped out! - after just being given paracetamol. I was back the following night, still in agony, and had my ankle strapped up. And they gave me crutches then.

Worse pain than when I fractured the same ankle a year later.

Also had a migraine once that felt like I had an axe in my head. Horrible :(
  • Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Man flu
  • Options
    RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a needle in the spine was bad! I blocked that out though.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You cannot just "get" a c-section (unless you go private), you have to have a very good physical and / or psychological reason to need one and this has to be OK'd by consultants etc...

Also, why would anyone willingly want to undergo surgery???

Childbirth is painful but a woman's body is designed to do it. If you are not cut out for it then don't have a child (or stop at one if it was that bad an experience first time around) although as you can see lots of women will say labour is horrendous yet they have several children.

If you are not cut out for it? Harsh. Does that include women who have epidurals?

I remember you saying childbirth could be pain-free without drugs. After reading your last post am I right in thinking you've abandoned that theory? :D:p

Anyway, if our bodies were indeed designed by someone or something, it did a crap job of it. Evolving into upright bipeds meant our hips became narrower, making childbirth more painful and dangerous than it is for other mammals. And when you factor in our large craniums to house our brains you end up with an obstetrical dilemma. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obstetrical_dilemma
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Childbirth x 2 :eek::eek:

Kidney stones.:eek:

Neither recommended.
  • Options
    MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
    Forum Member
    Had a trapped kidney stone for 6 months (trapped in narrowed ureter) - although it was identified on a scan by a consultant, his team failed to locate it on follow-up, Scheduled operation was cancelled after 6 hours waiting to go to theatre as a kidney had come in for a transplant patient, When I was finally operated on, they put in a kidney to bladder stent. I had this in for 3 agonizing incontinent months (it hurt even worse than the kidney stone) only to be told when it was removed that it had been badly fitted and had scarred my bladder, Really destroyed my faith in the NHS.
  • Options
    ArcticJayHArcticJayH Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :DI done a massive shit the other day.

Only two words can describe the pain:

Grand Canyon :D
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just getting over a bout of pancreatitis, the 1st few days in hospital I was ready to throw the towel in the pain was so bad.:cry:
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RickWhite wrote: »
    I remember a needle in the spine was bad! I blocked that out though.

Lumber puncture? I had one 12 years ago and funnily enough it didn't hurt at all. I was however as sick as a dog for 5 days afterwards every time I got up to walk around, if I lay down I was fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Aside from toothaches and earaches, my worst pain was a volar plate fracture of the PIP joint on my right index finger.

I was in loads of pain for months that extended right up into my hand, could barely do anything as I'm right handed and i still get pain now, over 18 months later and my knuckle is still swollen. Had 6 months of physio and the injury healed with scar tissue on the ligaments so my finger now won't completely straighten or bend fully and I have limited mobility in it, can't open bottle caps very easily and struggle with childproof caps on bleach bottles/medicine containers etc. it also now seizes up in the cold weather.

If I fall asleep with my hand under my head it really hurts when I wake up and if I accidentally knock that finger against a door or something it takes my breath away. The consultant said they can perform surgery on it but tbh I'm not sure I want to go through more pain with it.

On the plus side it really creeps children out, it's like a weird scary twiglet. My nephew calls it 'Spazzfinger' :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I had a tummy tuck 2 years ago, so was cut from hip to hip and down the middle (un upside down T) Hundreds of internal stitches and I also had a massive hematoma after and had to go back into surgery. I've never experienced pain like it. I gripped the doctors hand so tight it left finger nail marks and bruises :/
  • Options
    cotton tailcotton tail Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    I had a trapped nerve in my neck, worst pain since childbirth - on co codamol and valium and nothing touched it at all. No sleep for 5 days, it was sheer agony and I dread it returning but it probably will due to a degenerative spinal condition :(
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neck pain..

I remember my ex-partner having to turn his whole body to even look at me and myself laughing away at his predicament :D

Then I pulled a muscle in my neck, and had to stay sofa-bound for a few days. Even looking around caused severe spasms. Other most painful is the tip of my finger being snipped off.
  • Options
    SayheySayhey Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    Gallstones, it went on for 18 months. The doctor kept telling me it was reflux and was caused by smoking. In the end I had a liver infection and found I had 9 gall stones. I had at least 8 hours constant pain a day. I ended up on morphine and in hospital for 2 weeks and had my gallbladder removed. I changed my GP...
  • Options
    welshsarahwelshsarah Posts: 5,082
    Forum Member
    abuse in the tooth thought i was going insane
  • Options
    Dave23Dave23 Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Have to agree with others, a dental abscess is the worst I have ever experienced, I have never ever felt so ill.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    Ovarian cyst and the following surgery wouldn't wish it on anyone
  • Options
    bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to be gallstones,literally takes your breath away.

Yes plus I thought I was gonna die and thought I was having a heart attack - REALLY scary and agony.