Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=I was also very disappointed to wake up to no Tony Livesey this morning. I don't mind Burden too much now, but still wonder how she got to broadcast with a voice like that. I quite like the lack of pretentiousness of both her and Livesey together. They are quite down to earth and "normal".[/QUOTE]

Livesey and Campbell this morning - first time I have noticed that combination. Campbell didn't chime in with his usual pointless and irritating interjections at the 7.00 takeover, so I wonder if he will be a bit more restrained with Livesey as his partner.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member
    5live isn't being very balanced in its reporting about Mandela - sure he was a cherished figure by millions, but there are lots of legitimate questions to be asked about his past. 5live were a lot more balanced when Thatcher died. Their broadcasting at the moment is treating Mandela as a saint, which even he admits he wasn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    Ask the man holding the gun to your head if he wouldn't mind changing the station.

Ask the man putting a tyre filled with petrol around your neck.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From another forum.

Nelson Mandela was the head of UmKhonto we Sizwe, (MK), the terrorist wing of the ANC and South African Communist Party. At his trial, he had pleaded guilty to 156 acts of public violence including mobilising terrorist bombing campaigns, which planted bombs in public places, including the Johannesburg railway station. Many innocent people, including women and children, were killed by Nelson Mandela’s MK terrorists. Here are some highlights

-Church Street West, Pretoria, on the 20 May 1983

-Amanzimtoti Shopping complex KZN, 23 December 1985

-Krugersdorp Magistrate’s Court, 17 March 1988

-Durban Pick ‘n Pay shopping complex, 1 September 1986

-Pretoria Sterland cinema complex 16 April 1988 – limpet mine killed ANC terrorist M O Maponya instead

-Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court, 20 May 1987

-Roodepoort Standard Bank 3 June, 1988.

He was offered early release by President PW Botha if he would renounce violence. He stubbornly refused.

Tellingly, not only did Mandela refuse to renounce violence, AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL refused to take his case stating “[the] movement recorded that it could not give the name of ‘Prisoner of Conscience’ to anyone associated with violence, even though as in ‘conventional warfare’ a degree of restraint may be exercised.”
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've tried that. It's the same story on every station. Radio 4, World Service, as you would expect, but unbelievably on Talk Sport as well. Surely it won't be on Planet Rock!

Talksport wobbled momentarily but are now back on track.
  • Options
    Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Complete overkill on Mandela and I expect it will go on for the next week. Livesey and Campbell only on together because Burden is on her way to South Africa. Only one of them in Salford of course. You can guess which one.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it will be wall to wall Nelson Mandela on the phone in & VD's show today !
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can somebody make this stop please ?

Utterly nauseating
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can somebody make this stop please ?

Utterly nauseating

Gordon Broon has been dragged out to make it even worse......:blush: :eek:

Glad I am going out.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Glad I am going out.

Although it's very sad about Nelson Mandela, I've heard enough & have switched stations !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio_fan wrote: »
    Complete overkill on Mandela and I expect it will go on for the next week. Livesey and Campbell only on together because Burden is on her way to South Africa. Only one of them in Salford of course. You can guess which one.

I'm surprised they're sending featherweight Burden. Still there is the rugby connection I suppose.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

Glad I am going out.

Funny that the BBC can never get hold of McBust to ask about the 13 years of incompetent management he and Bliar oversaw, yet he pops up for this.
  • Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched a TV show about a year ago and nothing had change for those in the townships also that slaughter of the striking miners all forgotten by the BBC,they summed up the violence and slaughter in half a sentience then it was back to Jesus....
  • Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny that the BBC can never get hold of McBust to ask about the 13 years of incompetent management he and Bliar oversaw, yet he pops up for this.

Thats a fair point but as much as Labour are incompetent the crash happened in Greece,Spain,Iceland,Ireland,Italy,and America all at the same time and as much as I would like to blame Labour I can't hold them responsible for all the others mentioned......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    Although it's very sad about Nelson Mandela, I've heard enough & have switched stations !

Free us from Nelson Mandela
  • Options
    Radio_fanRadio_fan Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Yes, I was surprised they were sending Rachel Burden to SA. Thought NC would have got the gig. He's probably too busy with his non-BBC shows. I wonder how many more staff are going. I thought we'd at least get some relief from wall-to-wall Mandela on the local news, but no, he once visited Leeds so Look North has to replay that and interview anyone who ever spoke to him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio_fan wrote: »
    Yes, I was surprised they were sending Rachel Burden to SA. Thought NC would have got the gig. He's probably too busy with his non-BBC shows. I wonder how many more staff are going. I thought we'd at least get some relief from wall-to-wall Mandela on the local news, but no, he once visited Leeds so Look North has to replay that and interview anyone who ever spoke to him.

I have switched off any news source...... Have they interviewed his cat yet?
  • Options
    PilgPilg Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Is it foolish of me to hope for the film reviews to come on?
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Pilg wrote: »
    Is it foolish of me to hope for the film reviews to come on?

I think they're starting at 3pm. I don't know what's worse though and usually the film reviews make me switch off anyway but today I'm not on at all.
  • Options
    PilgPilg Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    I think they're starting at 3pm. I don't know what's worse though and usually the film reviews make me switch off anyway but today I'm not on at all.

Cheers, I just heard that but with the Nelson Mandela biopic just out, I suppose they will stick to the subject.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My objection to the coverage of Nelson Mandela's death is as follows.

5 Live is supposed to cover developing breaking news. Last night, many coastal areas of the UK were affected by the weather. Thousands of people had to leave their homes. Buildings have been damaged. Travel was disrupted.

Nelson Mandela dying is a big story. It was being covered on Radio 4 and the BBC World Service. I'm not saying 5 Live shouldn't have covered the story, but I think 5 Live should have devoted a lot more time to the flooding than they did.
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Even worse. Anna haha Foster has just announced that there will be a Mandela special tonight, presented by Nolan and Adebayo. What a b awful combination. Foster has just interviewed a woman on the subject and her first question was "How did it make you feel?" Where do they get these presenters from.

The funeral is now not until Sunday 15th so we've at least another 10 days of this dross to come.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even worse. Anna haha Foster has just announced that there will be a Mandela special tonight, presented by Nolan and Adebayo. What a b awful combination. Foster has just interviewed a woman on the subject and her first question was "How did it make you feel?" Where do they get these presenters from.

The funeral is now not until Sunday 15th so we've at least another 10 days of this dross to come.

Right.. down the travel agents for a quick 10 day getaway break. This amount of coverage has become ludicrous - it's like brainwashing
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Foster has just interviewed a woman on the subject and her first question was "How did it make you feel?" Where do they get these presenters from.

Just out of interest what is wrong with asking how someone feels. If you want to get someone talking it's a pretty open question and should generate a personal responce.
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 Live is pretty much ridiculous filler - 20 hours a day (the breakfast show is tolerable).
    The first few minutes of Drive today was about the rehearsal for the World Cup Draw (including the countries drawn at the rehearsal.....). This is ludicrous. The preparation for the draw will also include several visits to the bathroom by the officials. Will 5 Live be talking about that as well?
    I think the station should be put out of it's misery as beyond parody and unfit for purpose.
This discussion has been closed.