Options

If Strictly was on in the 1970s?

Comments

• Options
    Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, I would so LOVE that!

As for contestants: Fanny Craddock, Benny Hill, Penelope Keith (wearing one of those lovely turbans from The Good Life!), Valerie Singleton, Ronnie Corbett, Kelly Monteith, Angharad Rees, Mr Roy from the Basil Brush Show, Miss Piggy and Kermit the Frog. Animal could make a guest appearance on drums in the Wonderful, Wonderful Orchestra.

:blush: showing my age :blush:

They find that on DWTS. One of the couples danced to the muppet theme tune & Animal was on the drums it was fantastic :D

http://youtu.be/pHQnBxTKf8M
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tabloids would still have been dominated by speculation about whether Brucie was about to retire.
  • Options
    Lily_MLily_M Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't then. And now only to be inclusive to US usage because as you say "spelt is a type of wheat" in the US. It is best to stick to either UK or US usage rather than mix them. We have already had "hate on" today which is also in the OED as US usage.

I remember the "correct" spelling well. I got caned for getting it wrong once.

Though maybe you do use US spelling normally?
    I may have consumed one gin and bitter more than I should however are you arguing over spelling? Chill to heck out 😜 ... and by heck I mean f...

Liza, while I agree with you, I just need to say one last thing on this topic:

Henry, my dictionary was printed in 1984 so "spelled" was in use at least back then, and no I don't normally use American spellings. You are lecturing to the converted, by the way. I am as much of a spelling/grammar pedant as you, which is why I don't come on here very often.

Can we talk about Strictly now?
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Anton would still be a pro :D
    Although he might be getting the young ladies like Jenny Hanley.
  • Options
    oscaratoscarat Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Thank you so much for this thread. As a relative newbie I find many of the threads totally yuck but this has had me laughing from the very start. I worked in a local theatre in the late 70's and would like to add Christopher Cazenove and Ian Ogilvy to the list of contestants - both great fun and entertaining.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    oscarat wrote: »
    Thank you so much for this thread. As a relative newbie I find many of the threads totally yuck but this has had me laughing from the very start. I worked in a local theatre in the late 70's and would like to add Christopher Cazenove and Ian Ogilvy to the list of contestants - both great fun and entertaining.:)

oh the cheekbones!
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    The problem with posting about spelling and grammar (as you did above and I am often wont to do but in other places as spelling and grammar rigour in this forum is abysmal) is one has to proof-read over and over again for a while. I would never do that with "young people", few of whom can handle basic english grammar or are proficient at spelling.

Many of my facebook and other forum friends jump on each other and me over spelling and grammar. All good friendly teasing banter. ;-)

I am pleased you are relaxed about making spelling mistakes. I would be mortified - sadly. Spelling and grammar were caned into me.

BIB. You must have been ill the day that manners were taught, though. Instead of the dictionary you might have a shufty at the forum rules ;-):D
  • Options
    georgeshairgeorgeshair Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They find that on DWTS. One of the couples danced to the muppet theme tune & Animal was on the drums it was fantastic :D

http://youtu.be/pHQnBxTKf8M

That's wonderful! Thanks for sharing the link.

Can I also add the sublime Anthony Andrews to the list of Ian Ogilvy-type smoothies? He was in a sadly-forgotten series called 'Danger UXB', about a team of WWII bomb disposal experts. It started in 1979, but would just about qualify for this thread. Definitely eye-candy for the ladies.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume in the 1970s it would be heavily influenced by the original Come Dancing. All I remember about that was it being very formal and stilted.
  • Options
    Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a very amusing thread. The only thing I would say is that to be consistent with the Strictly ethos, you should be choosing celebs who were past their prime in the 70s. But that would make it too complicated and less entertaining I guess.

I nominate the stars of The Professionals. Waltz with a bubble haircut.
    I may have consumed one gin and bitter more than I should however are you arguing over spelling? Chill to heck out 😜 ... and by heck I mean f...

Now where did you get that smiley? C'mon, own up!
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The young,sexy dollybird quota would be filled by

Adrienne Posta ( Film Actress )
    Sally Gleeson ( Bless This House )
    Sally Thomsett ( Man About The House )
    Paula Wilcox ( Man About The House )
    Kathy Jones ( played Trisha Hopkins in Corrie )
    Lynn Paul ( from New Seekers )
    Sally Carr ( from Middle Of The Road )
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The male pros could call their adult women partners 'girls' and no one would bat an eyelid :D
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The opening routine on the sunday results show would be performed by The Young Generation, and the training room links would be even cheesier than they are now.
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily_M wrote: »
    Liza, while I agree with you, I just need to say one last thing on this topic:

Henry, my dictionary was printed in 1984 so "spelled" was in use at least back then, and no I don't normally use American spellings. You are lecturing to the converted, by the way. I am as much of a spelling/grammar pedant as you, which is why I don't come on here very often.

Can we talk about Strictly now?

But of course. I thought it was amusing and ironic that your initial post on spelling and grammar contained (at least) one spelling error - gramatically (sic). "Spelled" is debatable (as we see).

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=70315477&postcount=18

Sorry. I thought you would see the amusing side of it. Just teasing; not lecturing.

As it happens I have a good number of US facebook friends so always write "spelt/spelled" to pre-empt the pedants (like myself)

Oh on spelling I have always rejected job applications and business letters with a spelling mistake or dodgy grammy. It shows the writer is either illiterate or lazy and couldn't be bothered to proof-read.

And you won't have noticed me pointing out grammar or spelling elsewhere in this forum. That would be a full time job. I did it (with trepidation) here on the assumption that most in a 70's thread would have O Level English in old money before devaluation.

[And I am more than happy start sentences with conjunctions and prepositions ... :cool: . In fact I have an incorrigible habit of starting articles with them]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The costumes for ladies ('girls') would include a mixture of miniskirts, maxi dresses and hotpants - especially for the young 'dolly birds'. Cheesecloth may also be involved.

For the men, flared slacks with ruffled shirts unbuttoned to the navel. And paisley - lots of paisley. Where's the vomit smiley when you need it?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I did it (with trepidation) here on the assumption that most in a 70's thread would have O Level English in old money before devaluation.

Maybe Lynne Truss would agree to appear next year Henry, I think she would have a lovely time dancing with James :D
    :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Lynne Truss would agree to appear next year Henry, I think she would have a lovely time dancing with James :D

You wo'
  • Options
    Eittol96Eittol96 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course. I thought it was amusing and ironic that your initial post on spelling and grammar contained (at least) one spelling error - gramatically (sic). "Spelled" is debatable (as we see).

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=70315477&postcount=18

Sorry. I thought you would see the amusing side of it. Just teasing; not lecturing.

As it happens I have a good number of US facebook friends so always write "spelt/spelled" to pre-empt the pedants (like myself)

Oh on spelling I have always rejected job applications and business letters with a spelling mistake or dodgy grammy. It shows the writer is either illiterate or lazy and couldn't be bothered to proof-read.

And you won't have noticed me pointing out grammar or spelling elsewhere in this forum. That would be a full time job. I did it (with trepidation) here on the assumption that most in a 70's thread would have O Level English in old money before devaluation.
    As a pedant, I am surprised you missed the full-stop at the end of your third paragraph.

Pray tell, what is "grammy" (apart from being a music award)?

Please note - this post is simply teasing and should not be responded to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You wo' ? :o

Have you read her book(s)? I must get around to them sometime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eittol96 wrote: »
    As a pedant, I am surprised you missed the full-stop at the end of your third paragraph.

Pray tell, what is "grammy" (apart from being a music award)?

Please note - this post is simply teasing and should not be responded to.

See what I mean? Touché :D

FWIW "Dodgy Grammy" was deliberate though ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You wo' ?

Have you read her book(s)? I must get around to it sometime.

bits of Eats, Shoots and Leaves. I think I'm a bit too laid back. I used to think I cared, but having battled head to head with my son and his grammar SATs (thanks Gove!)I decided that I wasn't THAT picky after all.

Besides, I enjoy watching new language develop blood! :D
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    Vanessa Feltz would still be in it partnered by a famous DJ at the BBC :D

Sinitta would still be a kid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vanessa Feltz would still be in it partnered by a famous DJ at the BBC :D

Sinitta would still be a kid.

David 'Diddy' Hamilton or possibly Noel Edmonds. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    David 'Diddy' Hamilton or possibly Noel Edmonds. :o

Tony Blackburn, he could emote over losing Tessa Wyatt in the rumba (I just googled the correct spelling of her name and it turns out she's in 'Stenders, who knew!?)
  • Options
    PosyPosy Posts: 1,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What sportsmen could there have been. How about Geoffrey Boycott, Alan Ball, James Hunt. Of course there wouldn't have been any Eastern European pros, what with the iron curtain.