How long is your commute to work?

Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In this age of commuting further to work due to lifestyle choices or simply house prices, do you commute a long way to work?

How do you get there? Is it a pleasant journey or are you sat in traffic or faced with someone's armpit on a crowded train?

Does your commute get you down, or do you find it a strain, or do you use that time to listen to music or read?

Comments

• shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From door to door, as long as the buses, trains and tubes are running smoothly, it's and hour and twenty minutes. I get the bus to the station, train into the city, then a tube. I use that time to do exactly as you suggested, listen to music and read.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    If I leave early enough, 25 minutes. If I'm late, 2 hours.
  • pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    I travel by bus. An hour each way. Longer if the traffic is bad or the busses particularly busy.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just Google mapped it - 6 minutes, 2.1 miles.

I drive it, but only because it's along unlit country roads and I quite often don't finish until late at night.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 300 metres.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just timed it. 22 seconds.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An hour door to door. Car, walk, train, walk. After commuting for a while you just switch into auto-pilot mode and the jouneys just goes. Can't say I get stressed even if the train gets packed or is late.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    2 and a half hours each way. 45 minute walk to the station. 10 minute walk from Victoria to the office.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    A 25 minute walk.
  • CherumanCheruman Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1 hour door to door (40 min bus, 20 min walk). I just put music on and zone out.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,632
    Forum Member
    Door to door, around about 35 minutes.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From door to door about a 5 second walk.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a bad day it's around 6 minutes. With all green traffic lights it's around 3/4 minutes. I drive it because I'm too lazy to walk and would rather have the extra 15 minutes in bed.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work from home so it's about 10 seconds. And that includes stopping in the kitchen on the way to put the kettle on.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 40 minutes on the bus. The bus stop is almost outside our house so not far to walk, and a short walk to work (around two minutes) once I get into Leeds.

Both me and my husband work in town so we catch the bus together on a morning and have a natter, but we finish work at different times so I listen to music on the journey home.

I don't really find my commute stressful, it's a doddle really. I don't mind getting the bus as it's not a bad bus route and I just see it as someone else driving me to and from work :D
  • Joseph_McDonaldJoseph_McDonald Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    About 45 minutes. Leave at 8:00am, 15/20 minute walk to the train station, five minutes to catch my breath, three minute train journey, 5-10 minute walk to office. I always listen to music on the way.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    15 min drive, nearly all the way through tree covered country roads.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    On the way in 15-20 minutes if I leave at 7am, 40-50 minutes if I leave at 8.30am, and then the same sort of time on the way home. I leave at 7am and leave work at 4pm avoiding both the school runs and the rush hour traffic, it means the journey is much less stressful and I can go straight down the motorway without much traffic and other drivers are a lot more laid back at that time in the morning. I changed my hours as I should have been doing 9-5 but leaving at 5pm is not something I like doing as it takes so long to get anywhere at that time.

I listen to the Absolute Radio breakfast show on the way in and anything good on the way home
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    I live about a 30 minute walk from my work which is great
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15 sec's I'd say, roughly
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4mins walk, door to door. It's great - I get to come home for lunch rather than having to sit and eat soggy sandwiches at my desk :D
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    40 mins to an hour if I'm in London.

Walking distance in Paris.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a bright, sunny day: 45 mins.

The slightest hint of precipitation: closer to the hour.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually 80 miles, but depending on certain parameters it could be anywhere in the country.
  • kevraffkevraff Posts: 3,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Work in central Birmingham, journey is 16 miles.

About 40 minutes if I drive.

About one hour 15 minutes if I cycle.