Options

Can feet shrink?

seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Those appendixes you use to walk with, can they shrink in size?

I ask because my wife's friend swears hers have.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    They can do, especially if you loose weight!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    I used to be a 7 as a teenager but now I'm a small size.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Well, my appendages have grown in size. I was size 8 as a teenager and have progressed upwards to a size 10 at 60. Something else got bigger as well while I'm on the subject, so to speak.
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be a size 9 and have gone down to a size 8, I now wear the same size as my wife! :eek:
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quick web search found quite a few extensive explanations of foot growth caused by age, but the upshot is that the tendons and ligaments in the feet lose elasticity as we age, so our feet can get wider and longer, not smaller. The fat pads under our feet flatten out as well, adding to the width. Apparently, the over-40s can gain a foot size every 10 years. (Sorry lads, but it seems willies can shrink by an inch or so).

Having said all that : I'm in my mid-50s, and my feet seem a lot narrower than when I was younger - my feet were narrow anyway, but now my normal size 5 footwear seem to be much too wide, yet a smaller size doesn't fit length-ways.

So yeah, in conclusion: I dunno. :D
  • Options
    RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a size 8 before & during pregnancy and went down to a 7 after I gave birth!?
  • Options
    oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there vanity sizing on shoes now as well? :D

I am a 6 or 7 depending on style, but just bought some 5.5s.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understood if you lost weight your feet might but I didn't think you could loose a size as my wife's friend is claiming.

She hasn't lost or gained weight she is saying her feet have shrunk a size.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they usually increased in size as you age due to ligaments stretching and causing the foot to flatten a bit.
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    I thought they usually increased in size as you age due to ligaments stretching and causing the foot to flatten a bit.

I can vouch for that especially if you take bunions into account! :(

I tried many moons ago to kid myself I was a size 5 and that was in the days of the 60/70's when pointy toe, stilettos were what we trendy young things squeezed into. I learned some years later that size 6 and then 7 was my shoe size. Nowadays, my friend is the trainer or when staying home, a pair of socks!!
  • Options
    gamernewbiegamernewbie Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    I lost two stone and half a shoe size! Although I do suspect there is vanity sizing in ladies shoes now...
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep scrolling past this as I mistakenly read it as 'Can feet stink'

Shoulda gone to specsavers
  • Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Renepoos wrote: »
    They can do, especially if you loose weight!

It seems bizarre as feet are bony but yes it is true! A friend lost 3 stone and went down a shoe size from a 6 to a 5 and her trainers hang off her feet like her old clothes hang off her now. :)
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think there is vanity in shoe sizes these days as so many women take what is to me a huge size in shoes 8,9,10.
    I take a 4 but they are now very loose on me and I have had some for many years. So I think my feet have shrunk as can get my sister's size 3 on.