New Smartphone for Mother in 60s

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
Forum Member
I know such questions may well have been asked over and over, but if you could take some time for suggestions, it would be appreciated.
My mum has just got back from spending Christmas and new year in Australia, and felt disconnected not having a smartphone to update family, and get updates about family, on Facebook and emails. She has asked that I help her choose a new smartphone.
She currently has a Nokia candybar style phone that I got her a couple of years ago, mainly for the 5MP camera, as she kept using her old camera phone to take pictures, even though I told her that if they were important times, to use her Canon compact camera. So I met her half way in the choice of her new phone and got her one that at least had a better camera.
In recent years she has got onto facebook, with some of our family spread in Europe and Australia, and my Dad passed away, it has become a bit of a lifesaver for her and keeps her updated on her nieces, nephews, grandchildren, etc. So she wants to move into the new era of smartphones.

Now I come onto her habits and usability. Her current phone is a simple Nokia with a reasonable camera. She texts more than calls, and her texting is improving, but she does not use predictive texting as she could not get on with it. She has her own, quite good 3 year old laptop, which I would say she struggles with things on it in terms of dealing with why things on the web and in Word do the things that they do. She has got better through, but thinks as she has got used to Office 97 since it came out, she would struggle to use anything else (yea, I know, 97).

So she wants a modern phone that is a touchscreen, can look at facebook, see facebook pictures, take her own on her phone and upload to facebook, text and call from, and she would like to stick to pay as you go, which she is currently on Virgin with.

I am very technology and gadget minded, I work with technology and computers day in, day out, and know alot about alot, but I always have high end devices if I can (my dad's son :p) and Android is my OS of choice. I could make a good judgement on a phone, in fact I am leaning toward the Galaxy Ace 2 as it is small and got reasonable spec, more than good enough for her anyway.

Sorry for the long post, but any user feedback and ideas are welcome.

Comments

• alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    What about the Samsung Galaxy Note? Bigger screen, but not as big as a tablet and as the screen size is bigger then she may find texting/typing easier.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duplicate post
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be better for her to go to a phone shop and have a play with several phones. Try the different screen sizes, perhaps try a non-touch screen phone too, like a Blackberry. (I find the keys a bit fiddley personally - and prefer a touchscreen, but not everyone gets on with them)
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    What about the Samsung Galaxy Note? Bigger screen, but not as big as a tablet and as the screen size is bigger then she may find texting/typing easier.

Yep, I would say the same. Note or Note 2 in a rubberised case (extra grip). Bigger screen means that the text can be made bigger if her eyesight needs it.

The Note 2, also has a 'basic' mode for the home screen that may help to.

I wonder if there are any apps out there for the more elderly? (to assist with smartphone usage)
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Yep, I would say the same. Note or Note 2 in a rubberised case (extra grip). Bigger screen means that the text can be made bigger if her eyesight needs it.

The Note 2, also has a 'basic' mode for the home screen that may help to.

I wonder if there are any apps out there for the more elderly? (to assist with smartphone usage)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=name.kunes.android.launcher.activity&hl=en

There is this one that costs.

There are a few apps that just change font size as well.
    I'd recommend a phone with a large screen as well. The note is a good choice.
  • Party AnimalParty Animal Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the Galaxy note and bought it because my eyesight is not the greatest anymore and it is a great smartphone in fact if a new note with a bigger screen comes out in the coming months I will upgrade to that no way will I ever go back to the postage stamp size screens ever again

cannot ever go back to squinting at the small screens ever again
    and funnily enough just last night for some reason my wife picked my note up and was playing about doing something or other and when she picked her Samsung Galaxy SG2 back up even she commented how much nicer the viewing experience was
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    The Note is a great device (I have a Note 2) but might I suggest something running Windows Phone 7.5? The Nokia Lumia 610 has a good, clear screen, more-than-decent camera and has access to all the Apps she's likely to need.

Most importantly of all, it's easy-to-use. It sounds as if your mum is smart,but likes things kept simple. Windows phones can easily be customised with just the apps that are needed, leaving an uncluttered and easy interface. I sold one to a chap the other day who got me to set it up so it had just 5 icons on the front screen: calling,texting,mail,contacts and internet. That's all he wanted to use!
  • dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am 63 and have the iphone4. This has been marvelous for me, especially as the screen is bright and clear and the touch screen is very good. I even use the predicted text as this is far superior to my old Samsung which I hated, found it really difficult to find how to do simple things on it. Hated it so much that I traded it in without offering it to my husband as I knew he would not get on with it. Obviously this was years ago so things have no doubt improved now with Samsung.

With Apple there is a 'how to' site saved in the bookmarks so it is simple to check to see how to do something if you can't work it out.

The camera is not all that good, but I do use it a lot. The iphone 5 camera is far superior, but of course more expense for me. I find myself using so much on it. I use the calendar and have it saved to Google, use the notes, use loads of apps, use the music, and have a radio app Tunein Radio which I love. I have found out myself how to do everything on it. The only thing that was difficult was setting up the email with Virgin. That was a pain in the backside and did involve several calls to Virgin and Apple help line and Apple Store, also carphone warehouse. In the end someone from Virgin in the UK helped me as he had the same phone and had experienced the same problems.

Of course the best thing is for her to try out some phones and see which she prefers. I found carphone warehouse to be really helpful for all the phones I have owned even if they failed to help me sort out the email problem.
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your mum is lucky to have a thoughtful daughter like you but I find myself wanting to ask why it is that there's a tendency to think that anyone in their sixties is useless at things like this! I think your mum should go along to a shop like someone else suggested, and get a demo and choose for herself. There's a danger that you might suggest something that she gets and doesn't like.

I have another thought on this topic which is that if anyone of any age has trouble with some of the modern technology, they are better off doing woithout it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    ffawkes wrote: »
    Your mum is lucky to have a thoughtful daughter like you
    allygraham wrote: »
    my dad's son

Just to keep things from getting out of hand...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Just to keep things from getting out of hand...

Haha, I was not going to say anything :P
  • GeowitchGeowitch Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    I really don't think age has much to do with it - it depends on whether you want to embrace new technology and are willing to work at it. Smartphones are relatively new to everyone, not just to people in their sixties. I am a lady well into my sixties and upgrade my smartphone every year, have a nexus tablet, new laptop, a Wii and am much more technology aware than many of my much younger family members.
    Rant over ( I would hate to be patronised like that) but I am sure your heart is in the right place.:)
    As someone else suggests, send her or accompany her to a shop to choose for herself!
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As you said you were looking at Galaxy Ace 2, how about considering the HTC Desire C?

Slightly cheaper than the GA2, but It isn't as powerful and the screen isn't as good. But it is a nicer looking device, has a newer version of Android and is, in my opinion, better to use due to HTC Sense.

They are both decent, mid-range phones. Well worth comparing the 2 in the shops.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    ask the opinion of your mother for interface whether she feels comfort with that and you take the decision of the tech features which is just my opinion as many online stores and nearby outlets are there so choose it accordingly :cool:
  • Arenas52Arenas52 Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Just as we'll you added the smiley there.........as a (ahem) over 40 smartphone user I was about to get seriously offended:)
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever happens, I would suggest that they take someone a little more acustomed to technology with them just in case there is a temptation for the sales staff to miss sell them
  • Anne-SophieAnne-Sophie Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Another vote for the Samsung Galaxy Note. I am in my 70s and had started having trouble texting using tiny little buttons and also scrolling round a tiny screen. I only acquired this phone a few days ago and although I am still in the learning stage I absolutely love it.